nut milk and nutrients and/or high calorie snacks!

So I generally make my own nut milks and don’t have a problem doing that. This is the thing, I am trying to keep as raw as possible and I am doing some intense training right now (I will be biking across the US in a few months) and when I get really hungry I have a problem sticking with raw foods because 1.) the fruit isn’t plentiful right now (I try to eat seasonally) 2.) veggies don’t have enough calories, and 3.) eating tons of nuts gets too ‘dry’ for me.

so this is my question: does anyone know how much calories and nutrients is retained in a nut milk if it is a nut soaked, blended in blender and strained through cheese cloth? Am I still get most everything from the nut other than the fiber? I just want something that I can get a decent amount of calories from that still has a lot of nutrients and isn’t so DRY!

The nuts/seeds that I can get raw here are: walnuts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, peanuts (I think?), halzelnuts… I am not sure if there is anything else, but that is pretty much what I will buy.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

I read this article about these guys climbing a peak in Alaska and they ate raisins. For fat-hmm, I don’t know, maybe some serious yogis have the answer to that one. Brzil nuts?

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

I have seen brazil nuts around here, but I heard something about them not being really raw.

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

I dunno about that. Macadamias are high in oil. I have wondered about the soaking and leaching of vitamins and minerals. I love my almond milk tho.

What about David Wolfe’s friend Steven Arlin? Doesn’t he have a lot of experience on this topic? See if you can check out his book. He I think is a body builder or something, I don’t know if that would help you.

• I am currently training for a marathon in early May and following a raw vegan diet. As an endurance athlete I just thought I’d throw in a few ideas that I use on my long hard training days. Larabars are great. Basically made of nuts, dates, and fruit. They are also portable and I am sure you can make your own combinations. Coconut water is full of electrolytes as are bananas and great for replenishing all that is lost through sweat. A friend suggested blending celery for electrolytes and bananas for potassium and drinking while on the run/ride or right after. I hope you find this info helpful.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

so no one knows the nutritional value of nuts milks?

runnagirl- i do enjoy making my own larabars (i try to be as minimal as possible on packaging, plus they are expensive!) but when i am 100% raw i have a hard time with them because of them combining. i am huge on bananas and coconut water, but i am trying to cut down due to the fact that they are not local!