Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

UnRaw hubby

hi people-
i have been 80% raw for about a month now, and although I haven’t experienced dramatic results or detox yet, I feel great and am having so much fun with it! now my husband has never had any intention of giving up meat since i met him when i was a vegetarian. however, i have gotten him eating more vegetables though he will pretty much only eat them thouroghly cooked. he is highly allergic to nuts but i think he does ok with seeds. he also seems to be allergic to citrus or something as he throws up if he consumes certain raw fruits like pineapple (I’ve seen it happen!). He ocassionally will eat a bannana (only if it has no brown spots) and he’s eaten oranges and been ok, despite their citrus. mysteriously, he can eat canned pineapple thats been packed in syrup (gross!) and other similar fruits with syrup like marachino cherries. Any thoughts or ideas about how I can start to introduce more raw foods to him and/or open his mind a bit about giving up meat? I sent him an email with links to meat.org and Storm’s weightlifting pics on thegardendiet.com. he’s very much into training and is emotionally attached to his protein and doesn’t believe he can get adequate nutrition without meat. I have gotten him at least drinking organic cow’s milk, though he shows no interest in my soymilk (now almond!) whatsoever. Suggestions?

Comments

• rawrach,my boyfriend is the biggest meat eater ever,too much to explain. Me,vegetarian,vegan,RAW and total heath person for soooo many years, It is hard,I try to sneak things into his diet. cultured veg. into salads,”forget” to buy beef and I have gotten him to drink green smoothies in the warmer weather. I found with whatever I make for dinner,yes I have had to make meat,I ALWAYS make a super BIG salad,greens,seeds,sprouts,veggies,cultured veegies etc,
    y only complant I ever give him is fast food,no,no,no,I gave that up as well as soda since 1988/89. I just try to supply as many raw greens as possible. Good luck to you,it can be tricky.

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

I bet the pineapple makes him sick because of the enzymes as I think someone else said in another forum.

Steven Arlin is a body builder and raw foodist that has written books. The whole gorilla theory-building muscle, a lot of guys like that tend to have a lot of muscle but are increasing their chances of heart disease and could be healthier AND leaner. I bet he needs to do a cleans and dissolve the thick mucous build up from eating cooked food.

Before I was raw, and healthy I had a similar phase of things like throwing up from the citrus or enzymes or whatever it is.

• mham- how do you culture vegetables? I’ve marinated them over night to soften them up, but never heard of culturing vegetable.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

rawrach, im sturuggling with my hubby as well right now, he was very supportive of the raw thing in the beginning and was much more into trying the food now he is very defensive about his diet since i gave him the china study for christmas. I want him to happy but the thought of supporting the commercial meat and dairy industry makes me physically ill! so my compromise is raw milk, and humanely raised meat….not cheap nor easy to find but i have found some on line and will be filling a freezer full soon. I love to cook and my reasons for giving up meat are not purely animal love. I wish you luck, my hub is in his 40s and not to motivated to make a change in his health which is good except for his sleep patterns….best of luck, Oh and btw cultured veggies are things like sour craut and such….

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

rawrach try experimenting with recipes that he might like.. my hubby thinks a lot of the raw stuft is not good, but has fallen in love with some of it. He’s even in charge of making the raw hummus now! He also loves Matt armsden’s famous onion bread (recipe on this site) any type of raw cheese I make, and raw brownies.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

OK all you raw guys out there…what is it with men and meat? Can you talk about how you transitioned? My husband tried for 5 days and the minute he started detoxing, he went straight for bacon, eggs, toast and a big dirty Martini!!!!

• OI! My problem isn’t that my husband wants meat – he’s a vegetarian at least. The issue we have is that he thinks I’m ‘depriving’ the kids of classic childhood goodies – you know, corn dogs, buttery microwave popcorn, gummi bears – all those revolting things that can’t even be classified as food. I don’t expect my kids to be raw, but my philosophy is that all food served in my house should be as healthy as possible. I think if they are raised that way, they’ll make smart choices when on their own. My husband travels for work, so he’s gone quite a lot, and I just don’t have junk food in the house. But when he comes home he buys all that crap for the kids!! He’s okay with eating raw when I serve it – if he doesn’t like it he won’t make comments, he’ll just pretend to eat it so the kids don’t notice. And the kids generally love everything I make – except in comparison to the junk food!! So when he’s home, the kids are constantly hassling him for more junk, and they suddenly won’t eat healthy vegan pizza they usually devour. Erg.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

LIBBYB , i havent read entire thread besides your post . but concerning your ’ goodies ’ issue ide go to www.thesunnyrawkitchen.com (if that address dont work go to www.therawfreedomcommunity.com and find the site creator carms post and from her signature you can get to the sunnyrawkitchen) , because the sunntrawkitchens creator ,carm, has hundreds of great raw deserts . and her buddy ‘fairygirl’ is just as awesome . between them they make deserts that your kids and hubby would love instead of gummiebears . another place is greenchefstv , link = http://gliving.tv/greenchefs/ . .

ps – for some reason sunnyrawkitchen link isnt working , but it does exist ; )