Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Plastic alternatives

So I’ve finally decided to remove plastic bottles from my life (the type you buy in the supermarkets). Does anybody have any recommendations on permanent bottles I can buy? I want to get something that will last me a long time and that I won’t have to worry about nasty plastic particles entering my body (yuck!). Also, does anybody have any suggestions on water purifiers?

Comments

• I would love to put my green juices in a Sigg bottle rather than a glass jar ( I’ve already had 2 accidents with the glass ). I had heard that anything other than glass might oxidize the juice faster. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

• Hello CTcyclist. I pour my water into my Klean Kanteen. http://www.kleankanteen.com/ It’s a stainless steel water bottle, I love it! My water bottle holds 40 oz.

• spirit:

While I don’t know any specifics, I’m almost positive that stainless steel will not oxidize. I’m doing research on starting a small winery and I know that many people use stainless steel containers. If people are willing to use stainless for something as sensitive as wine, I’m sure you can be confident about using storing your juice in it for a day.

If anybody has any other thoughts I’d be happy to hear them.

• Thank you CTcyclist, stainless steel will be alot easier to carry throughout my day.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Someone from another forum said that the steel metal still leeks into the water of the stainless steel water bottle. I have nooo idea whether or not this is true. But I’ve been meaning to by the Klean Kanteen and now I’m not sure. Its hard to find any research to prove if it is true. Has anyone heard of this? If not, I’m open to be convinced to buy the Kleen Kanteen. At least its better plastic, right?

• I read a few complaints on amazon.com that the Klean Kanteens use a cheap metal, and it’s not completely stainless. Aren’t there any plastic bottles I don’t have to worry about? :(

Well that certainly convices me not to buy the Kleen Kanteens. I guess I have to search for TRUE stainless steel bottles, if there are any. This is frustrating. I might as well drink out of a glass cup at home. Why does there have to be so many issues with water?!? Its just water! Why can’t it be as simple as that?!

• Well don’t just take my word for it. This was something I was actually just looking into earlier today, and I haven’t had a chance to look into all the facts yet. I do know that I don’t like the high amount of 1 star reviews on amazon http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000GF9GLI…=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar

Oh no its not that, I’ve had my suspicions before and I’m going to stay being skeptical until I’m satisfied with my findings. Its hard to trust many companies these days you know. What if they are taking advantage of thier stainless steel bottles because of the harmful discovery of the plastic bottles? What if it turns out that metal also leaks into the water from the steel bottles. You never know…

• Stainless steel (or at least the good grades of it) do not leak into the water. I found this link today http://www.sunrisewd.com/products/new_wavesteel…, I’ll probably do a little more research on it when i get the time.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I have a sigg and it’s awesome. I think they sell them at whole foods too

• But aren’t the Sigg’s aluminum?

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Sigg’s aren’t aluminum—they just look like they are. The composition is a proprietary blend that doesn’t leach (according to their materials). I like mine, but I have noticed that, despite what their material says, it does pick up odors. Mine smells like green juice no matter how much I soak and scrub it. But it is extremely beautiful.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

On the tags of the Sigg bottles I’ve seen at wholefoods, SIGG bottles ARE aluminum. Might want to investigate it further…it is so sad that we all have to worry about this isn’t it?

OK so what is the BEST bet in terms of safety from metal leaking: Sigg or Kleen Kanteen or other. I can’t stand going to school or work without water anymore. I get so thirsty. I NEED a water bottle!!!

• on the sigg website it says that they are made with aluminum but it also says that it doesn’t leach. Heres a paper on the leaching (or lack there of)
    http://www.mysigg.com/images/assets/alliancetec…

I haven’t used sigg but I was just at their website found this info and thought Id share =)

• Sigg bottles ARE made of aluminium but have a coating on the inside to prevent aluminium leaching (“The proprietary SIGG bottle lining is a water-based, non-toxic coating that is baked into the interior walls and remains flexible and crack resistant for the life of the bottle. The special SIGG lining is not plastic

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I’ve been using glass jars for transporting drinks for years. I’ve only had a couple of incidents of breakage—just be careful, and/or use some protective covering—reusing old socks is great, and helps keep your juice cold or tea warm. If you use mason jars, you can buy new lids for them at lots of places—I get them at my supermarket.