Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

real oranges are green?!

And the only turn orange because we put ethylene gas on them or if they are exposed to cold?! What why are we putting ethylene gas on oranges? Is it really necassary?

Comments

• I have never seen a green orange.That is so sad

• I haven’t either. Maybe ethylene gas instead harmful or something. I don’t know why they use it so much

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

I don’t doubt that for an instant they put oranges through mist of to change the color, or however they do it, but oranges do turn green on the trees people, I have seen them. Yes they start out green. If picked to young they will be green in the supermarket or 1/2 green, which is bad for your teeth enamel, or worse, I should say. sorry had to edit this, I mean orange, they turn orange on the tree

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

That’s really sad.

• My friend has orange trees in her yard and they do turn orange if left to rippen on the tree ( yes, they do start out green ). She doesn’t use any chemicals on her trees.

• Okay good to know! Maybe some are orange naturally and some are green naturally. But im sure non-orangic orange groves use ehtylene gas

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

From what I read they have picked them early and then artificially enhanced the color—hey check this out tho, I got this bag of oranges that said they were artificially colored- I thought they meant with some sort of dye, but I guess it was the ethylene.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

What’s more suprising to me is that people don’t know what color a fruit is on the tree:-D Unfortunately there is precious little produce that is not picked green.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I grew up around orange trees. They weren’t treated with anything, and the oranges turned orange.

• Yeah I guess it must be that only the ones in warmer temps stay green.

Oranges generally fall into two groups: sweet (Citrus sinensis) and bitter (C. aurantium). Oranges are not always orange. In some countries where the temperatures never cool off, oranges remain green, even when mature. It is the cool temperatures which promote the release of the orange pigments (carotenes). If the temperature fluctuates, the fruits may alternate from one colour to the other. To overcome this problem, oranges are often treated with ethylene, which promotes the development of a uniformly “orange” appearance. Depending on the variety, oranges can also be yellow or mottled with red. Their size also varies from being as large as a football to as small as a cherry. The flavours range from sweet to intensely sour.

Oranges look the most appealing when they are a deep, vibrant orange colour; but, on the tree, a mature orange is usually green-skinned. It will turn orange only if the cold temperature destroys the green chlorophyll pigments, allowing the yellow carotenoids underneath to show through. In warmer climates, oranges are always green; but, in the US, oranges are green only if they are picked in the fall before the first cold snap or if they are picked early in the spring when the tree is flooded with chlorophyll to nourish the coming new growth. Green oranges will also change colour if they are exposed to ethylene gas which, like the cold, breaks down the chlorophyll in the skin. Oranges are often dyed to attain the orange colour that consumers demand.

heres the website http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/fruits/ora…

• The same with lemons. At the farmers market back in Budapest (Hungary), the man who sold citruses said, that lemons should be green originally, but commercial ones are treated with ethlylene to have ‘uniform’ appearance.

• I have an orange tree in my front yard and a lemon tree in the neighbor’s yard. On the tree The oranges turn orange and the lemons turn yellow. No chemicals..

• ok not organic and not oranges but I was weak and got a bag of grapefruit,not organic. I went to juice one on sunday and it had a strange label on it.looked again and the bag had “ingredients”!!!!! meaning ???I guess as a warning that they had to use chemicals to protect them from mold.spoilingetc. Question is,should I not eat them,give them away,return them ,eat them or throw them away????Thanks!

• Hmm I would eat them. You’re not eating the skin so it cant be that bad right? And citrus isnt on the dirty dozen list so id still eat them.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

there are so many types of citrus out there that vary in color. Blood Red oranges are orange and red, ugly fruit are green and yellow, and some are just straight up red! check this out :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus