Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

No Dehydrator

Hi still switching over to raw foods and haven’t invested in dehydrator yet, any advise. Have heard you can use the oven on the warming setting with the door open? ???? for how long

Comments

• I’m new to raw foods too and don’t have a dehydrator, any advice out there would be good!

• Some ovens go as low as 115F… Mine does not lol So, what I do is set it as low as it will go (145F) and kind of keep the door propped open by sticking oven mits at the nop near the handle. It seems to work pretty well. Hope this helps!

• Thanks kathrynintheraw and hi to evildarkvirus
    just an additional question how do you determin for how long you leave the item in the oven and would that also mean that the dish will not be able to be kept long

• Hey Kathynintheraw,

What have you been able to cook like that – can your share some of your successful meals?

• I made Ray’s Buckwheat Pizza Crust last night, and it turned out great. I kept it in overnight (about 7 hours), and cut it into squares this morning (personal pan pizzas =P). Then I put the squares in for 20 mins longer. A few days ago I made carrot cake balls (recipe also here on the site). They didn’t turn out as well (very crumbly), but I think that’s just because there wasn’t enough oil to bind them. When I make them again, I’ll add a tablespoon or so of coconut oil.
    This method works basically the same as a 115F dehydrator. You just have to keep a close eye on whatever you’re making. If you wanted to be really sure, you could always stick a thermometer in the oven, or test the temp of the food every so often.
    Hope this helps!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

neo7 and evildarkvirus.. I know a lot of people are really sold on expensive excallibur dehydrators and I”m sure they are great, but I got a cheapo one at walmart, 40 bucks or so, that has been great. You can set the temp as low as 85 degrees and I’ve never had trouble making anything

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I just posted this on another thread:
    Yes, a convection oven can be used I

• i don’t remember who it was, but someone on this forum recommended the nesco brand (which seems to get good reviews on amazon). when purchased with one of those 20% bed, bath and beyond coupons you get in the mail, it’s less than $50.

• Great ideas guys, problem is I live in England! Any cheap dehydrator shops over here? :/

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

Hey eveildarkvirus-Did you see ‘Shell’s Kitchen’? She is from Brighton and has an blog with some amzng recipes and photos! Maybe there are some links on there.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

nesco is the one I have and I really enjoy it and it’s inexpensive

• Hi Modhina
    many thanks, for anyone that had now found this site already it all looks amazingly inspirational