Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help...how to open a coconut?

I just bought a coconut (the brown, hairy kind). I could make a hole on it with my scissors, but I don’t know how to open it, because I Don’t have ANYTHING sharp and strong enough to cut it. Does anyone have any ideas how in the hell could I open it???

Comments

• Primitive, I know, but when I bought one of those kind I had to take a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to split it! I would also like any advice on that front.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

After you drain the coconut liquid out the hole you have made, the brown coconut can be openned by taking a hammer (or other hard object) to it or going outside and slamming it on the ground. You might lay down some clean paper on the area where you are going to slam the coconut. Then you pry the white meat away from the brown shell. Here’s a link for another explanation with pictures!

Have fun!

• Hi!

The easiest – and safest – way is if you have a) a stone patio or b) a tiled floor. I just hold the coconut as high over my head as I can and drop it. Two or three times is usually enough, trying to make sure it always hits the ground along the crack that should appear after the first drop…

Might I recommend the patio over the floor tiles if you have the luxury of both – I noticed a crack in one of my kitchen tiles recently… I can’t swear it’s from the coconut-dropping, but I’m resorting to the patio from now on ;-)

• Thank you so much, (especially for the link)! I have to get a hammer from somewhere, cos I’m living in a hotel now, I will be funny opening the coconut outside though….

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

You can ask the hotel manager for the hammer… take a camera and post a picture of his/her face when asked. LOL

• Ha ha I will :)

• Hey I noticed your question about how to open a coconut and I also noticed the responses, yikes:) If you watch episode number 5 of my show (Produce Picker Podcast) you’ll learn an easy and safe way to open a coconut that just involves a knife you probably have in the kitchen. I hope it helps. I’m not selling anything, I just like to help people learn about produce seeing as I’ve learned a lot about fresh fruits and vegetables in my daily job as a produce clerk. Good luck and please let me know how it goes if you give it a try.

Produce Picker Podcast episode 5: http://blip.tv/file/491487 or you can just search for Produce Picker Podcast online.

Ray

• i eat/drink a lot of the young coconut. i almost bought a brown furry one the other day but did not. What have you recently made from one. I have had both but does anyone else have a prefrence?

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

finally the great coconut mystery solved , thanx producepicker .
    now epkatie you dont have to demolish your entire house ; )

• THANKS SO MUCH producepicker, I didn’t even think that I could open it with a knife!

Anyway the oder podcasts are great as well!

• Great! I’m so glad you liked the show. I always love people to participate in the blog as well so make sure to check out everything I’m working on at http://www.producepicker.com. Glad I met you guys. Thanks again, Roman and flybaby!

• hey producepicker thanks a lot men i have never bot a coconut coz i wouldnt know how to open it and its that easy??thanks mate!!!

• first time to open a coconut with help of my kitchen knife.thnks.

• why not just throw them on the ground outside? I do that for my young coconuts :)

• I watched a few videos on youtube that were helpful. The task seems enormous. Don’t be intimidated. Good luck!

• please click on the producepicker`s` link above and watch how easy it is to opene one with kitchen knife