Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

okay to leave dehydrator unattended?

I just got an Excalibur dehydrator and I’m wondering if it’s okay to leave it running unattended, the manual doesn’t say. The dehydrating times can be so long, 36 hours for the onion bread I want to try, that I think people must leave them running. Any advice? Thanks :-)

Comments

• Yes. I leave it on during the day and at night. Make sure it has enough ventilation. Mine is on an open shelf or the table. Have fun making stuff!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Absolutely! You don’t even need to be precise in the time. 30 hours, 36 hours, 40 hours, what’s the difference really?

If you use parchment paper and spread the onion bread thin, it will take ~24 hours… even 12 hours can be good enough (if the bread is real thin!).

Side note: Also, use the mandolin slicer, or spirooli slicer, or something that can make cut the onions thin. I found this to be the key for the bread to stick and not crumble so much… and also, to be able to use all of it. If the onion is thick, the mixture isn’t able to ‘hold’ it. Just my experience.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

the onion bread is too die for! my fave.. enjoy!

• Every since I found the recipe for onion bread, I have to make it once a week, my very favorite raw gourmet! Couldn’t live without it.

Sometimes I live my dehydrator on for 2 to 3 days without shutting it off.

• It’s fine to leave the beast on. The worst that can happen is that your food will overdehydrate.

I never had the patience to dehydrate something for over 24 hours. The onion bread smells so wonderful that it’s easy to break off large chunks and eat it straight out of the dehydrator.

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie

it makes me cry for the first few hours – those onions are so STRONG! lol!