Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is anyone trying to lose weight?

I’ve been a vegan for almost 2 years now and although they say when you switch to a vegan diet you tend to lose lots of weight. I’ve lost some weight but i would like to lose like 5 or 7 more lbs. I’ld like to try a smoothie fast with greens maybe that’ll work!? if anyone out there has some advice or smoothie recipes that’ll be great!!

Comments

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

jkmn I feel the same way. For health purposes but also hopefully for some weight loss I’m going to do the master cleanse starting this sunday

• Yeah I would like to lose about 10 lbs then most of my clothes would fit again!

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

I’m trying to lose weight too. I’m not really sure how much weight to lose but I’m really hoping that eating raw will help!

• Me too, I only want to loose say 7 lbs. Don’t know if just raw eating will help though as I love seeds and walnuts!

• I’ve lost almost 14 lbs in 1.5 months:) I walk everyday and that’s about it! I need to lose 5 more and I’ll be good to go…............

My green smoothies vary from day to day.

Today for example:

2 cups of water
    2 cups of Earthbound Spring Mix
    2 large Kale leafs
    2 oranges
    2 bnanas
    2 T flax seed oil
    6 dates
    1 cup blackberries
    1 cup blueberries
    2 bananas
    1 vanilla bean
    handful of ice

It makes 8 cups. I split it with my hubby. So, we each get about a quart:)

• I’ve lost about 7 pounds just very naturally over the last three months—I didn’t really need to lose weight, it just came off. I walk to work every day and I think just am eating less b/c my stomach is adjusting to eating raw. I am not completely raw yet—about 75-80% on average. But basically I have a green juice in the a.m., cantaloupe, a green smoothie, an avocado and grape tomatoes and then a raw dinner or some raw/some cooked—the cooked part is usually a vegan soup.

• I am very over weight – but have lost 20 pounds this month eating about 80% raw. I lost 10 pounds the first two weeks, and 10 pounds on the Master cleanse for two weeks. I know that if I continue eating raw, the weight will fall off – and I don’t feel like I am depriving myself at all. My boyfreind also lost weight – not even trying – by just eating the food I prepare. I still have 107 pounds to go, but am not really that worried about it, because I know it will come off.

• AlyssaDyane, congratulations on such big steps toward your goal! :) I just want to share a little caution for you to be careful not to lose it too fast, 10 lbs a month is quite rapid and most bodies don’t react well in the long run to more than 2lbs per week. I saw this because fast weight loss has been proven to have a high correlation with regain. There are several causes for this (lower body weight = lower caloric intake, too restrictive of a diet, etc) so just be conscious of your what your body is telling you and make sure that the diet and lifetstyle you have now you will sustain you in a healthy, happy way after you’ve achieved your total weight loss goal. Best wishes on your journey!

• Thanks for your kind words. I don’t expect to keep losing at that weight. I think the first ten punds was kust kind of a fluke. My body just starting letting go of weight at the drastic diet change. Then of course, on the Master Cleanse, that is not normal calorie intake by any means. The boyfriend lost 16 pounds! I do expect the weight loss to taper off to a more normal rate now – but I definately make sure I am taking in enough calories, etc. and trying to eats lots of greens. This really has been a great experience.

• I prefer the term “fat loss” to “weight loss.” Although I currently weight 126lbs (I’m 5’7), my body fat percentage is 19%. My goal is to reduce my body fat percentage to between 10 and 15% (I will know the exact percentage once I’m happy with the appearance of my abs!). I have one of those body fat monitoring scales, which I find helpful. I do some form of exercise almost daily (Jumping Rope, Tae Bo, Aerobics, Weights, for example). Good luck to all to wish to get lean!

• Karmyngirl, I believe that 19% is the lower limit of the healthy for women scale, and that 10% would be unhealthily low – that’s body building territory. As stated before we’re all individual and I don’t know what your athletic goals are but as a number 10% on it’s own is very low. Have you consulted with an MD or trainer? I don’t mean to be negative towards anyone’s goals!

• Whoops I was getting Body Fat % mixed up with BMI index, SORRY! :) Checking my stats its sounds like a good goal, silly me. Good luck!

• I have much weight to lose. I just gave birth to a baby and I ate sooo unhealthy when I was pregnant. With the knowledge I have now, I can’t help but wonder, WHAT WAS I THINKING?? In a span of 1 year, I have lost 20 pounds. I want to lose it slowly, so so slowly, that way, it will STAY OFF! I have experimented with many diets in the past and while some of them may have worked, I was working towards losing the weight. Not towards better eating habits.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I’m on the same page as you guys. Its funny because I RARELY eat any fats in my diet except for hemp seeds or ground flax in my smoothies every morning ONLY if I add ginger, or else I can’t stomach those either. I’m not doing this on purpose, my body just doesn’t stomach them. I feel sick and lose my appetite the moment I see rich things lie avocado, nuts, seeds, even dates now. Don’t get my started on oils. My body rejects them too. Oh yeah, and the funny part is that I haven’t lost any wieght since cutting them from my diet. Excersicing through fitness yoga has helped A BIT. But my body won’t just won’t let go. I wonder what is going on…Fascinating the way our bodies work, isn’t it

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I was raw for about a year and went off of it for about 7 months . (my brain must have stopped working) I gained aobut 16 pounds in the latter 5 months of the non raw episode. I was already about 15 pounds over my happy weight! I have lost about 11, I still need to lose about 20 pounds! I wish there was some magic method, but there isn’t! cardio and WEIGHT TRAINING. I stress weight training becasue as you age you lose muscle mass. That’ why everyone says as you get older your metabolic rate decreases. That’s all to do with percentage of lean body mass. A pound of muscle burns 50 calories to sustain itself, a pound of body fat burns 2.
    so pump that iron ladies and gents!

• Eat fruits in moderation and dont eat after 6 pm.Best fruit choices are berries .Greens in the smoothies like collard greens really fill you up .Thai young coconuts are also filling .I would make sure you eat some healthy fats so you dont lack nutrition.

• Samilicious, sometimes if you don’t eat enough calories/fat, your body won’t let the fat go b/c it think it’s in starvation mode and so it holds onto the fat. Also everyone needs a little fat every day—maybe there is a way you can sneak it in…

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I would like to lose the 15 pounds I gained in the past few months…I think my body got all messed up from a Master Cleanse I did in October, after that were the holidays and I was eating WAY too much…trying to work extra hard at the gym and eat less, I have lost 3 pounds but I still have a ways to go. Being in a relationship with a live in BF is hard, he can eat whatever he wants and never gains an ounce…grrrr! The past few weeks I have been paying more attention to what goes in and how much I burn.

Do you ever think that weight can be lost psychologically? I think I was gaining because I was dwelling on it. I am trying to relax and accept myself as I am but some days it is tough. I am trying to have a positive mental attitude, instead up making myself feel bad about the gain. I am 5’1 so 15 pounds is a lot for me to gain.

I love love love yoga though and I have been doing it with enough frequency to start to see some results…my arms def look toner.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

heathermarsbomb,

I absolutely think that weight can be gained/lost psychologically. I had been putting it on but not understanding why as my diet had not changed at all. When I stopped to see that I was generally behaving in an overly controlling manner and focusing too much on weight in general the lbs just stayed. When I chose deliberately to let go and lighten up ;0) the weight started falling off. Chris Carlton talks about this some on his posts. You might ask him about his experience.

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

I would like to lose about 10 lbs. While I’m at a healthy weight, I have a few lbs of body fat that need to go. The summer is coming up and all… swimsuits… ughh. I’ve already noticed that my pants are getting looser, which is a lovely feeling.

I’m just having a problem with fruit… I usually eat like 3-4 servings a day and I know that I should be eating more greens instead to accelerate weight loss. I need to get rid of my sweet tooth!

• karmyngirl: I had an eating disorder and did a lot of sport at that time – you don’t want to have 10%body fat. As a sportive woman 15% to 17% are fine – but just with enough musles!. I am doing lots of sport and researched a lot about this after I began to eat “normal” (raw) again-

Now, I also try to lose weight – I did raw food with mainly fruits (70% at least during a day) last years and I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS!! Now I am switching to more veggis and greens – your teeth will thank you and your musles too (veggis are high in protein, not fruits!). Most raw foodis are fine with fruit, but if you are in it since a lot term with not enough veggis you will see the consequences – your energy lowers down, your teeth getting more worse and so on. I would never try to be a fruitarian! Thats my opinion.

sports and less fats (especially not to much nuts and avos will work, flax seed oil is one of the best resources in nutrition for a raw foody – I use mostly just flax seeds and the oil and feel better than ever).

:)