Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

balanced diet

so I haven’t been feeling so excellent lately and I think its because I have been eating to many nuts. I found a raw food pyramid but it doesnt really show any kind of ratios, like I should be eating this much greens, this much fruits, this much sprouts…etc… could any one lead me in the right direction to balance out my diet?

Comments

• I would read Green for Life. Boutenko says we should eat like chimpanzees—55% greens, 40% fruit, and the rest would be (for humans) fat, etc. Fat should be and will become a very small part of your raw diet. I would keep dehyrdated foods and nuts and seeds to a minimum and focus on consuming a lot of greens. I really believe in one green smoothie a day (no supplements, just the greens and fruit) and a green juice. I have been eating avocados for fat. I don’t remember the last time I had a nut.

• I think there isn’t a general rule that goes for everyone, we are all different. But there are certain guidelines to follow. I agree with the ratios kellygoneraw mentioned, but I think it is also good to eat some nuts and seeds, because of their nutrients. I think it is necessary to eat some flaxseeds or flax oil every day, because of their omega3 content. It is good if we rotate the types of them, that way our body gets everything. Also sprouts are very important. If you decide not to eat as much nuts, you should definitely eat a good amount of sprouts. They have a lot of nutrients as well. eg intsead of pumpkin seeds you can eat rye sprouts, because they are both very rich in zinc.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Nuts and seeds are necessary for my health since I’m trying to regrow myelin. I agree with flybaby in that there isn’t a general rule for all. I also eat a high protein diet to chelate mercury. I think that a person should assess their own needs and not rely on the general concensus. I tried the 80/10/10 diet for a month and had a difficult time. Too many carbs and too little of everything else. Others might do well.

The line gets blurred when you say eat sprouts but not nuts and seeds. Where else would they come from?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

The reason people say you “should” do something is that it works for them. David Wolfe says that people use either carbohydrates, protein, or fat for their main source of fuel, and that it is individual. He also says that the type who use fat for their primary source of fuel are the most rare. Maybe that is why people say “you should not eat much fat.” I eat a ton of fat compared to other raw food eaters. I used to wonder about that, but after reading so many different views/opinions/health plans that have worked for a lot of people, I realize that there is not one set of rules that works for everybody, but we can do what feels right for us from all the information out there. I can tell people what works for me, but that only gives them a place to start. Good luck!

• I just want to say that I totally agree that it’s about what works for an individual—completely! One of the best aspects of this board is reading about people’s different experiences—one size definitely does not fit all. I will say that since joining the board I feel like I read posts from a number of people who are wondering why they are feeling sluggish and the majority of what they eat is nuts. I only think that a raw diet should be balanced. I mean I eat two avocados a day (which some may view as a lot of fat) but that’s how much fat I feel like I need. But I also eat a ton of greens, which I think are key to being successful in eating raw. And by success I mean not craving cooked foods, feeling full, feeling healthy and clear-headed, getting the proper nutrients.

• 123, I didn’t mean eat nuts or sprouts, the best if one eats nuts and sprouts, but if someone does’t want to eat much nuts, that person should eat a lot of sprouts and oils to compensate.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

flybaby, that part of my comment was not directed at what you had to say. The part where I agreed with you was! The part about sprouts and nuts or seeds was a general question. Don’t we all sprout our seeds and soak our nuts?

• Sorry 123!

Nowadays I usually soak or sprout my nuts and seeds if I want some pate or dessert, but if I want to eat them in themselves for snack I just eat them as they are.

• i agree that everyones diet should be different and definitely needs to be different for each persons needs. but protein and fat should not be the primary energy sources. but all around, i believe everyones diet should rely mostly on fruits and vegetables. not mainly nuts or seeds. but nuts and seeds are great and can provide essential nutrients.
    hope that helps.

• I definitely have noticed that my body is speaking to me!! It tells me when it wants something heavier like nuts or something….has anyone noticed if they are more hungry in the morning as opposed to the evening?? I can’t get enough while I am at work!!! Then when I get home in the evening something small is perfect…maybe I am just excited at the taste of everything….

• Sarm, I definitely have the same phenomenum with my appetite (hungrier in the am and less so in the pm). In addition to the basic metabolic reasons (your body has more energy and is producing more heat by metabolic reactions in the morning) there are lifestyle reasons: working out in the morning, catching the train, more stress in work, school etc. When we’re at home we’re better able to relax. I think often people who eat more at night just haven’t been able to eat enough during the day.

Alix1962 I’m interested by your situation because although you’re trying to lose weight 900-1200 is a very low caloric intake. Obvsiouly, as everyone has stated we all have individual metabolisms and what works best for them but often intake that is too low calorically will actually make our body go into starvation mode and hold on to fat. There’s a nutritional saying that is “it takes fat to burn fat” which illustrates the essential role fat plays in our metabolic process. Also, some people have found great success in adding in foods, spices, and teas that helps “spark” or sustain metabolism. (ex. Bee Pollen, Green Tea, Ginger, Cayenne to name a few) I’m curious to hear more about what you’ve tried if you don’t mind sharing (totally understand if you don’t)

As far as nuts go, I probably eat between 200 and 400 calories a day of nuts and seeds out of a 1500-2000 cal/day diet usually in the form of walnut yogurt (homemade, thick unstrained nut milk) larabars, and sprinkles of flax and hemp seeds). That’s a little on the high side but I’m active and slightly underweight.

• Alix1962, I’m so sorry to have upset you! Please don’t be so hard on yourself. I am sure that if you continue on your raw journey, you will find a balance. Goneraw-ers are full of wonderful advice so we’re all in the right place to learn about how best to treat our bodies and love ourselves. Sometimes MDs say the most hurtful and unhelpful things! I wish you all the best, and hope you’re feeling better.

• Alix1962 I have had similar experiences with doctors implying that I am lying about what I eat. I even was told by one doctor that the way for me to lose weight was to wear a belt! I realized that they have even less of a clue how to help me lose weight than I did. After coming to my senses and realizing I didn’t need to cut away at my stomach to make a change, I found raw food as a way of life. It made total sense to me and I’ve been plugging away ever since September. Weight loss has been slow and I suspect my metabolism is shot, but I believe it is from all the dieting I’ve done. I think I eat too little and that is why the loss is slow. When I can consciously plan out my meals for the day and get all my snacks I notice more weight loss. So, you might consider what lovingraw is saying about too few calories puting your metabolism into starvation mode. And as for your looks, only beautiful people post here, so you couldn’t possibly be anything but gorgeous!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

alix1962- i think you are thinking too much. i sense this because i do this too! when stress gets in it gets difficult to make truly informed decisions (informed—from the body’s intelligence, not the mind’s).

i used to want a lot more fat than i do now. i eat a lot of fruit during the day (solo or as green smoothies) and it keeps me satiated all the day… then i have something a little more filling for dinner. i started incorporating some steamed veggies and cooked grains (occasionally) in the PM as a transition because i found without it i would need A LOT of fat, or i would eat a whole bunch of dates and nuts. i think the temp. cooked stuff is cleaner fare. and i find i need less and less of it.

as for the initial qu about food pyramids. i think the whole idea of a pyramid is unnatural. the first thing i noticed when i started to really look at it is that there are a lot of categories (meats, refined sugars) that the body doesn’t need at all but are still featured. everything you could want from grain exists in better form in greens and other veggies. more importantly, WE REALLY DON”T KNOW what it is about certain foods that makes them good/bad for us. at least not to the extent that nutrition “experts” will have us believe. for ex, there is really no way of knowing that it is the beta-carotene in a carrot that makes it good for the skin. there are so many of them… it’s just educated guess work.

the idea that you have to have a certain balance of everything on a chart comes from a government that wants to appease all its lobbyists, not from any truth about the human body.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I know David Wolfe says you can maintain a perfect balance by eating three things, leafy greens, sweet fruit, plant fat. I imagine you just have to find the ratio’s of those three things that work for you.

• Just to specify, David Wolfe says the 1/3 of each ratio should be based on the dry weight (people correct me if I’m wrong!). Doing it by calories would be quite different.

Just to throw it out there—there’s also the 80/10/10 diet—80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat—fruit all day and a giant salad with fruit in the evening (no overt fats).

I prefer to add sprouts for calories, to avoid having to eat too much fat or dried fruit.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I did some research a few months ago and found out that the food pyramids published by the government were developed with the goal of using foods Americans already eat to get required amounts of certain nutrients within calorie limits. Definitely not based on what is best for nutrition & health. The goal was to have it be “realistic” so they didn’t recommend lots of greens, nuts or seeds even though the main pyramid is lacking vitamin E (it wouldn’t be realistic because people don’t eat much of these foods). Pianissima is right about the government wanting to appease its lobbyists. I even read an article from a government group (supposedly about nutrition) which said that people who are lactose intolerant should be educated that they can usually tolerate adding small amounts of dairy products to their diets. Sounds like a way to support/advertise for the dairy industry! Nothing was mentioned about educating people about alternate sources of calcium.