Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Baraan's Going Raw...

For the past four months my little bundle of joy (Baraan) has eagerly and dutifully accepted her formula with out protest (execpt when I’m slow at giving it to her) but now she’s very VERY interested in “Big people food” something I’m happy about because I know this means that I can start her on some very delicious and nutritious raw baby foods… There is one problem.. I’ve heard TOO MUCH conflicting information about foods that are ideal for a infant. Some say don’t give them citrus, some say don’t give them dark veggies, don’t give more than a tablespoon a day, some say let the baby tell you how much is enough and EVERYONE says to give baby cereal or rice gruel to start because they don’t cause any allergies (Though they don’t tell you that it’s going to constipate your precious baby like super glue!)

My problem is my Baraan has her daddy’s metabolism and she’s hungry every 2.5 – 3 hours even with formula.. I’ve given her little tastes of things like fruit (apple and banana) and juice from an orange all of which she happily enjoyed, but she’s getting more and more demanding of eating these instead of just tasteing. Can anyone who has raw kids or knows someone with raw kids or even just knows about this topic give me some clue? Is there such a thing as bad fruits and veggies for a baby? and how much should she get?

Thanks a bunch! K-Mom and Ms. Baraan :-D

Comments

• Oh and maybe someone can tell me what didn’t work… I’d like to try and avoid any mistakes possible if I can. Thanks again!

• I say trust your baby and by all means give her what she wants. I think its so awesome that your baby is hungry as she is! My baby was not hungry for solids until 10 months. As much as this baffled me, and worried me- and as much advice I got- I would have to say the most realistic, reasonable, and reliable advice was to “TRUST MY BABY”. I think it would be fine to give her some cereal once in a while, but don’t make it a main staple in her diet. Also- I must note- my baby was not hungry for solids because he was breastfed. From what I’ve heard- it’s common for breastfed babies to start solids much later than formula fed babies.

I would avoid the more bitter, darker vegetables at this young of age. Luttuce- light eating veggies and fruits are perfectly ideal. She will not be missing out on any nutrition! Her stomach is also very small, you have to take that into consideration. So giving her the more dense veggies might be a little tough on her stomach. Anyway- I hope you make the most properly educated and trusted decision! You must trust your decision.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

I read a beautiful saying back when I had babies that they come from heaven and so you start them on the foods closest to heaven ie fruit and then work down towards the earth.

• Mopoke: That’s a beautiful saying and it’s very good advice… I’m going to keep that in mind.

Justbeautiful: That makes absolute sense and I’m going to let her tell me what she wants and how much.. She’s going to learn to tell me what she likes sooner or later and I trust that she knows when she’s full.

stRAWberry: Thanks.. that’s her most recent photo with all her toys… We took it to send to my family in the states. It’s kind of difficult to bring up a raw baby here because the culture (ie everyone thinks I’m crazy and that cooked food is “the best thing for a growing baby”) so I have my work cut out for me but I believe that raw foods are the best thing I can do for my child and I’m hoping that as she grows and is sooo healthy it will prove to my inlaws here that there is better if they’d only give it a chance.

Thank you all so much for the advice! I’ll keep posting on her progress and how things are going!

K-Mom

• Justbeautiful you’re picture is very cute too! How old is your son now?

• he is now 15 months. Your daughter? in that picture he was about 8 months.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

From Rainbow Live Live Food Cuisine (Raising rainbow babies)
    <6mo>
    >or= 6 mo add papaya, mango, sapote, winter squash
    > or= 7 mo add coconut pulp, apricots(fresh or soaked), peaches, ground flax, local bee pollen, chorella and spirulina
    8 mo and up the choices really expand so let me know if you want me to keep going! BTW, the baby is beautiful.

under 6 mo didn’t post, it is
    fresh cocnut water, wildcrafted red bananas, peeled apple, peeled pear, peeled cuke, ripe avocado, and almond mylk as needed

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

wow, what are red bananas? Never heard of them, want to try!!

• FYI- I saw one recipe posted here with a comment about how some babies may have nut allergies so you may want to watch out for nuts till she’s a little older. you may want to think about if nut allergies or other food allergies are in your family. i mention this only b/c i have a husband who is seriously allergic to nuts and people including children have died from accidental nut exposure. maybe you could ask your DR is there is anyway to do a blood test for allergies just in case. other than allergies, i’d just go with what your baby responds well too.

I’ve seen little red bananas in the store. They aren’t wild crafted though and I believe they tasted like reg bananas. I don’t eat bananas too often
    Rawrach I’ve heard the same thing about nuts, but maybe almonds aren’t as bad? Other nuts don’t show up on the list until a few months older. Most would still be nursing at this time so I think it is mentioned in case there is no milk. Maybe a seed milk would also work like hemp or sesame.

• Justbeautiful: Baraan is exactly 4 months old tomorrow. It still amazes me how quickly she’s grown up this much.

Thanks rawrach for the infomation about the nuts… I’m not sure that I want to give her any just yet.. I think it’s better to wait till later to start her on something so heavy. There’s no allergies in our families that I know of but it’s better to wait just to be on the safe side, right?

Deborahann: Thank you for the information. I’m giving fruits and the occasional peeled/seeded cuke and she seems to be doing very good with it. She LOVES bananas, we don’t have any red ones so she enjoys the regular yellow ones.

We tried a bit of mango but she didn’t seem to like it so we’ll try again in a few months.. perhaps her tastes will have changed by then. I’m finding that she likes apples but only the green ones if I give her red ones she makes all kinds of faces and spits most of it out. Is there something about red apples? I don’t notice any difference… they both are sweet and taste pretty much the same but she definately has a preference.

Also as far as veggies.. I’m wondering which ones are pretty easy on her tummy and easy to mush into baby food? I know that regularly they just boil them like crazy till they are kinda mushy anyways but raw? Also I only get 7 hours of electricity a day… and then it’s only 3 amps. I can use a blender but it can’t do too much so things like carrots and stuff like that is out.. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks! K-Mom

• Hi KurdishMom!

I hate to sound negative, but until about 6 months, all your baby needs is formula/breastmilk. You can offer little tastes of foods now, but please don’t start replacing any meals yet.

Avocados and bananas were really great and easy first foods. My daughter also loved pears and apples. Peas are soft enough veggies to puree or mash up raw. I’d hold off on nuts, but you could start giving sprouted sunflower and pumpkins seeds(pureed) around 9 months.

Good luck! She really is a beautiful little girl.

• Thank you for the advice justine.. It’s not negitive at all, infact it’s a nice reminder. I don’t try to replace any of her bottles just yet.. when I give her some fruit it’s more of a snack between bottles (I never give her more than a tablespoon or two) or when we are eating she will sometimes want to join us and gets a bit fussy if she doesn’t eat something too, even if she just had a bottle.

I wish we had avocados here but we don’t (I personally love them and miss them) and right now there’s not many fruits in the market besides oranges, apples and bananas. I’m hoping in the late spring when she’s around 6 months that there will be more variety of fruits so that she can start enjoying more flavors.

Thanks again! K-Mom