Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Alcohol

KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

I was wondering who still drinks occaisionally? I hate to stereotype myself, but I’m a college student and I always end up going to parties on the weekend. I’ve found that it’s more difficult for me to give up Shiner than cooked food. I know it’s horrible, and I’m trying to cut back. I’ve also found that since going raw drinking really seems to mess my stomach up.

Comments

• I was told you could buy raw wine. Check out Kristen’s raw. She has lots of recipes that include this. You can email her and she can tell you how to convert over. Try chia seed gel. It should calm that down? I saw that on livingnutritional.com.

• When I go out and want to drink some alcohol I drink red wine, too, and in moderation! And don’t forget to drink a LOT of water as well!!! Before going out make sure to eat properly and include some flaxseeds as well, to help your stomach.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Even tiny sips of wine send me into tachycardia for hours…beer doesn’t much, but clearly alcohol isn’t for me, so I avoid it almost 100%.

• Lady Le HarleLady Le Harle Raw Newbie

I have stopped drinking all together. In the past if I drank I just wanted to curl up in bed and go to sleep. Now I stay up later and dance sillier than anyone else!! Its like my sense of humor and child like nature has come back. Its different for everyone though. I know a lot of people that have the opposite happen for them with alcohol. I brew yerba mate or white tea, ice it and drink it out of yummy vintage liquor glasses!

• Good idea Lady Le Harle, thank you!!!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’ve gone back and forth with the drinking issue and have settled on one nice glass of red wine a week. David Wolfe, whose opinions I really value, writes that wine is raw so that makes me happy (I know it’s a controversial issue on this site). The one glass I do enjoy, although it does make me a little sleepy.

• I don’t drink much at all. Every now and then, like twice a year, I have Mohitos (made form saki, champange lime juice and mint leaves with agave) from Raw Food Real World or something like organic white wine. My stomach cannot handle anything but white wine.

I also heard that raw foodies like shazzie go to parties and people bring cacao delights laced with superfoods, so they all get ‘high’ from that and it ‘substitutes’ for other libations like alcohol.

• KellyS, any wine made in the true sense should be raw as it is made through fermentation and not cooking. I don’t actually object to having a half or full glass now and then but even with that small amount I also feel some ill effects (sore throat, generally under the weather). My favorite drinks that substitute or lessen the alcohol are homemade sangria (combination of wine, fresh fruit juice, fruit, and sparkling water) Tangerine mimosas (champagne and fresh tangerine juice) and kombucha (which even has it’s own fermentation!).

I’ve been reading quite a bit on the benefits of wine drinking and it definitely seems that the benefits of a glass of wine once a day are significant (mainly lowered risk of heart disease) but only occur in people ages 50+. So for the young folk we probably shouldn’t push it, particularly if our bodies object.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Here’s a link to an older discussion about drinking wine also:
    http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/52

• You need to buy G.T Dave’s raw Kombucha. It’s a cultured tea that has less than 0.5 % alchohol from the fermentation, and it has much the same effect of real alchohol. Try it, t’s a cleanser while give you that alchoholy feeling!

• Oh that’s scary about the GT’s Kombucha. My kids love it!

I am not 100% raw, but even if my food diet was, I still enjoy alcohol. I usually do something social with friends one or two nights a week with friends. My biggest concern is always safety (not drinking too much & never driving).

Since going more raw though I haven’t touched a mixed drink with soda or anything. It’s usually red wine or when out, I’ll have vodka on the rocks with lots of bottled water.

• Oh, by the way, I’m 14 years old, and drink raw kombucha alot. I find it very soothing.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

About once a month, I will have a marini.