Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

smoothie and nut milk?

i never see nut milk listed as an ingredient
when checking out smoothie recipes, only water!

is there a reason for this? is it bad or less healthy?

it always made sense to add milk instead of water to a
mix of fruits!

Comments

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I won’t speak for everyone else but I only use water or coconut water because fresh fruits digest best on their lonesome. Added nut milks mess that up for me. It all goes back to that whole food combining thing. Hope that helps some.

• That totally makes sense! Thanks!

• How about soy milk? I have been adding that to my smoothies.
    I don’t get the food combining thing. Are you not supposed to add milks to fruit or something?
    Marcy

• Soy milk is not raw(unfortunatey)
    The food combining says that fruit should be eaten on itself, and we shouldn’t mix it with anything, because it is digested much quicker than any other type of food. If you eat fruit with anything it slows down the digestion of the fruit as well and messes up digestion.

• Hmmm….well I could just mix the fruit with fruit juice then or water & ice. Does that also mean I should not add the bee polen or chia seeds, etc?

• One time I made a raw frappucino out of soaked macadamia milk, ice, and frozen mango. The nut milk cobination with mango definatley didnt work, but you could try berries or something. Strange cus I was about to post a frapuccino recipe…...

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

I put nut milk in my smoothies. And really like it!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Mairzee dotes (I love your user name), not everyone follows the food combining rules. It’s your decision to eat what makes you feel good. That said, I only use water or kombucha tea in smoothies, lately, just water. I add some superfoods to my smoothies too and I feel great. I used to have serious digestive issues, but since eating a raw food diet, those are a thing of the past.

I only eat fermented soy and very rarely. Unfermented soy is dangerous on many different levels.

• I think you can add any superfoods to your smoothies, it is ok foodcombining-wise as well.
    Anyway as 123 said you should ‘experiment’ and decide what is good for you!

• To start with, while still vegetarian, I used goats milk in my smoothies and it tasted good. Then I used rice milk. Still tasted good. I shall have to try nut milk next. I cannot drink them without the creaminess that milk gives.

• IMO avocados add a delightful creaminess to anything!!

• And bananas as well