Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The most gross raw food you've ever eaten?????

2»

Comments

• When I first started juicing some green recipe from the JuiceMan called for 1/2 garlic clove and since I’d never used fresh garlic before

• Mine was a buckwheat bread wich has spoiled…I had to throw it out :( the other was a broccoli soup, however I loved broccoli steamed before.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I made a vegetable juice with various vegetables and then 1 small onion and I think like 2-3 cloves of garlic. It did not make me throw up but it was hard to get down. It was when I had kindof a cold…IT HELPS.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Mine was lentils with some curry powder… almost anything with lentils.. I keep trying to find something to help the taste!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

beleive it or not… essence bread from julianos cook book, it spoiled whilst dehydrating i think, never so dissapointed after waiting a day! yuck and ugh!

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I jsut remembered now, I think one of the most gross ones was from the living-foods website for sprouted lentil/ rye bread. The lentils and rye was sprouted for a day and blended in the food processor and tahini added to it. and then caraway and some other spices. Then, it is dehydrated. I did not blend the lentils and rye long enough for one so it was crumbly and we did not have tahini so I tried to make it with our food processor and that did not work. I found out later that I used the wrong amounts too. At any rate, it was pretty bad. After that had dehydrated a lot and I found out it tasted nasty, I cooked it and added carrots and garlic and onions to it along with oats to get them to stick together then some spices and cooked them up as burgers. My brother got into them once and liked them. I thought that some of my other cooked burgers tasted better but that one was decent. So, a bad batch or recipe, is not always bad, it can be altered cooke or raw, to be made good.

• OceanBlissOceanBliss Raw Newbie

Gravy. It was one of my first recipes and I added half a clove of garlic and few other spices with a date to sweeten it. I used Psyllium husk powder to thicken it..and eww. It was the most disgusting thing I ever ate, it tasted like some kind of foul raisin taste. Gross!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

DURIAN! What is up with that thing? It smells like an oniony natural gas leak! Tastes like it too! Bleaaaaaacchhh!

• I agree with stylishchick and elizabeth, definitely the tabouli made with quinoa. It was the VERY first thing I ever made and oh my god, I thought I was going to barf. Not only that, but because I was so stubborn and wanted to eat raw so badly, I ate it all, and got wicked stomach and intestinal trouble. I have a whole box of quinoa in my cupboard that I refuse to touch. That and a mushroom quiche recipe that just blew chunks.

• my first attempt at a green smoothie. it turned me off so much that now i just juice my greens into my veggie juice in the morning. covering half a pound of spinach with some beets and carrots makes a huge difference.

i’ve also had some interesting experiences with breads and crackers. i hate throwing them out after all that work.

• Recent Dehydrator experience. Sprouted flax with soaked Goji berries. Usually dry this with no problem. Makes great cookie. But this week I thought I’d like it sweeter so I poured Agave over each cookie before drying them. Well we were out of the house for a while and when we returned there was quite a smell. Looks like agave doesn’t dry. It was still wet and sticky but the flax and Goji underneath fermented. Maybe I should of mixed Agave in the mixture and not poured it on top. My dogs are happily eating my experiment.

• It happened last night!
    I read this post yesterday, and thought I was lucky to have never had a horrible experience. Hah!

I got all impatient with my soaking chickpeas, so I ground up some hummus after only 10 hours. The softer outsides made a kind of slurry, and the hard insides turned into gravel. The addition of (apparently) rancid sesame seeds and too much cayenne did not help.

And I ate it. My body is not happy about it this morning.

• LAST NIGHT!!

My friend and I made a raw chili and sour cream that was out of this world. Seeing as how we had had such success we thought we would try to make this raw cheese thing…Well I used to cook and I should have realized these things do not suit my palate but with raw foods you never know, sometimes you are pleasantly surprised. This time however, we we’re not! It was made of sunflower seeds and olive oil and shoyu and garlic. It was the most awful thing I have ever eaten, not just raw but EVER. Now I am afraid to make or eat anything with sunflower seeds.

• SSarah—try the hummus in the recipe section on this site that is made with zucchini instead of chickpeas. It’s AMAZING. You’ll never go back to dealing with chickpeas again!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Oh yeah, I forgot. I made a green smoothie and left some in the fridge overnight and it fermented. It was shockingly bad! I don’t do that anymore.

Harmonylia, and the other haters of quinoa, Try the recipe from Julianos book RAW. You first sprout the quinoa. I love it. If this is where you got the recipe from for your bad experience,then you just don’t dig it, and that’s fine too!! :)

oooh, Adenaspell, ya, sunflower seeds are only good whole. Dont substitue for other nuts in cheese or pate recipes, it makes the whole mess kinda bitter!!

• ambergirlambergirl Raw Newbie

i once tried to make a salad dressing out of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and honey.

I am NOT lying when i say it tasted like stomach bile. Dead on.

• Goji berries are disgusting.

Everywhere I’ve seen them listed and this wonderful tasting superfood, so I had to try them.

Nasty little things. Tasted like a mix of aspartame, sawdust, and cherry cough medicine.

• Sesame milk YUCK I think I did it wrong or some thing,but i never tried again

• Goji berries. Vilest, bitterest, nastiest little things! Can’t understand what all the fuss is about.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Cilantro. It’s a family thing, we can’t stand to have it around at all. Last night I made an avocado salad with basil and I think some cilantro mixed in at the market… Just that undertaste is nasty.

• Raw cockroach.
    (It was an accident).

40in8, EEEEEEWWWWW!

• I tried to make that recipe for mash potatoes. I won’t even look at cauliflower now when I go to the farmers market …. Just thinking about it makes me want to puke.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

maca ugh, can’t stand it.

and ardesmond2, me too with the cauli mash, it took me a year before I could eat cauliflower again, it was the most vile thing I ever made.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I agree ardesmond2!! The mash was so gross and made a huge mess….maca is caca is my opinion….ew…I guess it’s ok in my green powder when in a smoothie and I cant taste it…

• Goji Berries are at the top of the list for me! That terrible aftertaste takes hours to go away. Nothing covers it up. The Grapefuit/Algae drink from Raw Food Real World is the other recipe that makes me run for cover! I have never been fond of Grapefruit, but I thought in the spirit of Raw I would give it a shot again. BLECK!!!! It tasted like rotten bottom feeding fish! Never again will a grapefruit touch my lips! I’m not so sure about the Algae either. The jar is still sitting in my pantry collecting dust.