Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Light recipe recommendations

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Now that I’ve been eating raw for the past 6 months, I don’t feel the need to make so many raw gourmet desserts and dinners that are loaded with nuts, fats, dates, agave, etc. I can appreciate that raw versions of cooked ‘junkfood’ are great for transitioning as they helped me somewhat (even though I didn’t eat much junk before going raw). However, I am now at the stage where I feel the need for lighter recipes and foods.

What are some light recipes that you have tried from this site that you absolutely love? So far I’ve enjoyed some of the califlower based recipes like ‘couscous’. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a “light” category in the recipe section?

Comments

• Yes JoyceH, it would be nice to have a light category! A simple, light smoothie that I have posted on this website is a cleasing kind of smoothie, but tastes delicious , and it’s called Sunrise Smoothie. But that’s not really food.
    I’ve found that eating a light salad of fresh spinach, and a tad of olive oil and vinegar is very satisfying, while not too heavy.
    Also, you can make a nice light sushi out of:
    raw nori, cut into thick strips
    jicama, chopped into rice in a food processor
    So just roll some of the jicama rice into the nori and it’s light while yummy too. I like adding shiitake mushroom to it sometimes also.
    To tell you the truth, eating lots of fruit is filling sometimes, if your not too hungry.
    Hope this helps.

• One of my favorite things is a simple guac (avocado, garlic, tomato and squirt of lime) spread in a big leaves (romaine, whatever) folded and enjoy. Simple, light, filling!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

well, since you can add your own labels, let’s start labeling our light recipes. i like that idea as i too have grown out of the nut-based faux-cooked recipes.

-get creative with your salads. cut your veggies (with special tools even) to vary their shapes (and thus flavors). experiment with your platings. edible art.

-using celery and zucchini in sauces and dressings instead of nuts/seeds/oils (or using less) gives a similar creamy consistency, but not as dense.

-naked chop salads are easy and light: chunks of celery, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber tossed with greens and a great dressing (or just a little orange or lemon sprinkle). top with loads of sprouts.

just a few ideas…

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I hear ya girl…!! Good topic.

• Toys are fun :)

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I agree I think we need a category for light recipes! Sometimes I want something new and exciting but I can’t handle all the heavyness of all the “exciting” recipes!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I looks as though there are a few in the light category already – nice!

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/list/light

joyceH- oh i’m so glad. =)

• I’ve been curious about/maybe a little concerned with the amount of nuts ALL the recipes have. I’ve found TONS of amazing recipes on here that don’t use nuts and stuff. I’m all for recipes for different salads, fruit dishes, etc. I use the condiment recipes – especially for dressings – a lot. They’re much more flavorful raw anyway.

• Sometimes I feel hungry but then I look at a brownie or nut milk or cashew coconut ice cream and I jut say WAY too rich right now. Need a light something.
    Riotsiren-no offense, but are you insulting everybody’s recipes with nuts? Please don’t take this as an offense. I agree with you. But when we get the craving for something rich, what are you supposed to do other than turn to nuts? There’s nothing wrong with raw pure nuts, as long as you dont eat too much of them.

rawclaire- true. but it’s hard to know when to stop as nuts are easily chewed, but not easily digested. mechanically hulled nuts and seeds facilitate over-consumption in my opinin. i realized this this summer when i tried to make my own manually hulled pumpkin seeds from a pumpkin i made raw soup out of. i got about 2 TBs of seeds from an ENTIRE pumpkin and about an hours work. this must be some indication of how much we are meant to consume. =)

i think avos are way easier to digest and are naturally easy to eat “from the tree.” one of the things that concerns me about going 100% raw too quickly is filling the starch void (rice, quinoa, steamed squash) with fats. i am slowly transitioning with easily digested steamed/cooked starches and steamed veggies, consumed only at night, after a big raw salad. i know that isn’t kosher here, but that was the solution i found that works well with my body. steamed veggies rather than a whole bunch of nuts. but then sometimes all i need is a salad…

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I would have to agree with you pianissima about it being so easy to over-consume nuts. It makes sense that if we had to de-shell nuts and seeds by hand we probably would naturally consume WAY less. Never thought of it that way before great point of view!

• That’s quite true guys. Just a llittle tip I have:
    I always soak my nuts at least overnight, because otherwise they are too rich and NOT at all digestible. I’ve learned this from many books and my own experience. So maybe if you soaked all your nuts some trouble would go away.One time I bought a small box of Audrey’s raw chick bars. Had unsoaked cashews. This gave me a stomach ache and major constipation all day. However, my soaked nuts are very light and digestible. I’m not trying to be controlling, just trying to help. :)