Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone have Dermatitis herpetiformis or Celiac?

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I’ve suffered a horrid rash for YEARS, and even the dermatologist could NOT figure out what was wrong with my awful skin. Well, I was gluten free for a little over a year, and got amazing results from the diet. I still had some skin problems though. since going on this raw food diet, my skin is clearing up finally. Well, today I did a VERY bad thing. I ate some ezekiel bread. It has sprouted grains in it.
I keep hoping and praying that my great devotion to this diet will help me get over the mistake quickly.
I can already feel my intestines hurting. I should have just eaten some cooked veggies or something. Why the bread?? WHY????
My skin is itching, and I’m hoping it is JUST psychological.
I thought about barfing it up, drinking a bunch of senna leaf tea, or just ANYTHING to get this out of my system asap.
I was making the toast for my kids, and one of them didn’t like it, so I ate it. Not so smart.
Anyway, does anyone else have DH, or Celiac? If so, and you accidentally/intentionally eat gluten, do you find that you recover faster than you did before being raw?
HELP!!

Romey

Comments

• I hate that after-feeling of guilt when you’ve had something you know is wrong! It’s horrible isn’t it? I think you’ll just have to try a bit of detoxing/cleansing. I suggest green smoothies to flush out your system, or one of the various cleansing ideas; salt flush, MC etc. The reactions may be a bit psychological for now, but it is still a good idea to try and get rid of the remains of the bread in your system! I hope you have good luck!

• I had dermatitis when I was eating meat and eggs, when I went vegetarian it improved, but the best improvement was because of the flaxoil and seeds I have been eating every day since then. I alson quitted using all the harmful body care products and cleaning products. I think a detox, something like a juice fast or a few days eating just fruits would definitely help.

• That’s a good point from flybaby – skin depends upon omega oils and zinc to be healthy. Be sure you are getting these! Avocado is very good as a source of omega oils, as are some nuts/seeds. Good sources of Zinc are: Blackberries, Kiwi, Peas, Squash – summer, Potatoes, Corn, Sweet potato, Pumpkin Seeds, Pine Nuts, Cashews, Sunflower Seeds, Pecans, Brazil Nuts, Almonds, Walnuts. Lots of these can be eaten raw :)

• try green smoothies , i believe it can help,

• saraw-

i went raw before finding out i have a severe gluten intolerance. i found that i am much more sensitive, much slower getting back to normal after gluten consumption since being raw. i also started having the classic gluten reaction (bloating, intestinal pain, constipation, irritability, itchy skin) when eating other foods: cashews, raw peanuts, bananas. Lately ive been eating really strict raw, and no unsprouted nuts/seeds. that seems to be better.

the thing that sucks is that when i do make a mistake it takes like 5-6 days for my gut to feel normal again. does anyone know of anything to reduce the bloating quickly? there needs to be more discussion of the gluten intolerance among the raw food community. its definitely the reason i havvent been able to gain weight, no matter what i eat.

• I went through many many years of misdiagnosis…being told I had everything from a peanut allergy (false) to stress induced GI problems and rashes. Truth is that I have celiacs and since finding out and eliminating gluten from my diet I have been healthy for the first time in my life. Unfortunately not enough physicians are aware of the prevalence of celiacs disease and misdiagnosis is not uncommon. I would love to increase awareness and prevent others from going through what I did for so long.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I also have DH and was GF for many years with about 90% improvement in the rash until going raw. I would always have a flare-up of the rash just days before my period, which raised candida concerns and when I went raw. Guess what? That rash came on with a vengeance on day 5. I know since my skin was so sensitive for me that i would detox through my skin. i had this DH/candida rash coming out my ears, down my neck and exiting everywhere. I did not panic, but i haven’t seen one lesion since.It lasted about 10-14 days, getting less each day. I have had Ezekiel bread very little about a month ago. No rash. I do not sprout ANY grains or legumes.

• This is from another forum:

For more information, please see the above book… (The book is Grain Damage by Doug Graham)

Celiac disease (about 65 million worldwide sufferers – that is one in every hundred persons) is only one of the myriad problems that grains cause to health and the environment. Below are some of the symptoms of Celiac:

Cancer -People with celiac disease who don’t maintain a gluten-FREE diet also have a greater chance of getting one of several forms of cancer, especially intestinal lymphoma and bowel cancer.

Malnutrition – Untreated celiac disease can lead to malabsorption, which in turn can lead to malnutrition. This occurs in spite of what appears to be an adequate diet. Because vital nutrients are lost in the stool rather than absorbed in the bloodstream, malabsorption can cause a deficiency in vitamins A, B-12, D, E and K, and folate, resulting in anemia and weight loss. Malnutrition can cause stunted growth in children and delay their development.

Gas Recurring abdominal bloating and pain Chronic diarrhea Pale, foul-smelling, or fatty stool Weight loss / weight gain Fatigue Unexplained anemia (a low count of red blood cells causing fatigue) Bone or joint pain Osteoporosis, osteopenia Behavioral changes Tingling numbness in the legs (from nerve damage – peripheral neuropathy) Muscle cramps Seizures Missed menstrual periods (often because of excessive weight loss) Infertility, recurrent miscarriage Failure to thrive in infants Pale sores inside the mouth, called aphthous ulcers Tooth discoloration or loss of enamel Itchy skin rash called dermatitis herpetiformi Depression Schizophrenia (schizophrenics have celiac at 3.2 times the rate of the average public)

Most of the people afflicted with Celiac (and the above symptoms) are undiagnosed…they do not know what is causing their symptoms…they do not know that relief is as simple as stopping grains…and starting 811.

• susannabellajanesusannabellajane Raw Newbie

I have been mostly gutuen free 10 years. We travel a lot and some countries like New Zealand are WAY more sensistive to wheat intolerance. In Italy you find the exact strain (Like Soft Winter Wheat #30) used in labled breads and pastas, because some strains are harsher than other for celiacs, and 1:35 Italians have some degree of wheat intolerance. I was able to eat wheat without consequences in Peru and in Bolivia, but tried that trick in Denmark and ended up in agonizing pain, swearing I’d NEVER touch bread again.

Try fresh ginger tea…..grate 2-3 tbls of fresh ginger into a large mug of very warm water, allow to steep for at least 15 minutes, sweeten with agave or honey, and a couple of TBLS of lemon and slip frequently during the evening. For some reason this really helps the bloating and the pain.

• ive been totally grain free for 3 months but i still get bloating, pain, constipation with certain raw foods. ive read dr jubb’s books and he says that many domesticated foods also contain similar ‘undigestible proteins’ like gluten and can cause problems in sensitive people. among these are:

cashew, date, carrot, beet, banana, corn, rice, soy, all legumes, all beans, peanuts, nama shoyu, liquid aminos

ive found that i feel much better when i avoid ALL of those foods. a lot of green powders have traces of these. corn derived maltodextrin (used in powders to help flow) has screwed me up before.

so i think i fall on the supersensitive end of the spectrum, but if anyone out there is having digestive problems and cant figure out why, try avoiding the foods i mentioned.