Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Meditation

My life is quite stressful at the moment and I would love to try meditation in order to balance out my life and try and relax. Does anyone here meditate? Any tips on how to start? Anyone else interested in giving it a try?

Comments

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Hi evildarkvirus. Yes, I meditate and it is a wonderful experience. I began by subscribing to some free podcasts like AudioDharma and Zencast. The teachers are fantastic and you can get lots of information about how to meditate. One of my personal favourite teachers is Gil Fronsdal – he is really wonderful. I also use information from the Insight Meditation website http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/. All of these resources have a Buddhist flavour but anyone can benefit from these practices. I hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you want any other information, I have piles.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey evildarkrvirus- yes, as sarah said there is much on the web about it. meditation is a fairly basic practice though. close your eyes. focus on your breath. the sound of your breath. how it feels. don’t judge your breath. it’s about being PRESENT. any way you do this is MEDITATION. you could be meditating when you wash the dishes. it’s not necessarily something you have to take time in your day to do (though long seated meditations are do feel wonderful).

next time you are doing something in your “stressful” life become aware of how you are breathing. you’ve meditated.

the power of now is a great book on this. (eckhart tolle… he also has some seminars on youtube.com)

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I do TM (Transcendental Meditation http://www.tm.org) and it’s wonderful, completely effortless. It’s pricey, but totally worth it IMHO. They give instruction and have lots of support so you have no doubt you’re doing it right. Made a HUGE difference in my life.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I find when I meditate, a mantra of some sort helps keep my mind from wandering. OM being the easiest and most well known. There is also one that is very grounding called mountain/solid. You inhale, speaking to yourself the words ‘I am a mountain’, you exhale, ‘I am solid” Find a mantra that means something to you.

• I picture a rubber ducky just enjoying his tub time. Can one get more peaceful than rubber ducky? He’s the one.

• I am loving the rubber ducky idea :D Thanks everyone for your great help! I have subscribed to some podcasts to see how it goes and will look up all the mentioned websites! Thanks so much :D