Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Almond Milk acting strange on me

Ok, So when I make my almond milk, I strain it through a cheesecloth. I’m going to order a nut milk bag, but until then I have a problem. Whenever I strain the almond milk through ONE layer of cheesecloth, there’s alot of pulp but barely 5 tablespoons of nut milk. And I make alot of milk. Does anybody have any suggestions or has anybody experienced this? I’m going to use a nut milk bag in the future, but until then, I really love almond milk!

Comments

• you probably have to squeeze it more. you should get about as much milk out as you put water in. i would try a double layer of cheesecloth and squeeze it good.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

i dont know exctly everyones technique , but i just fill a blender half full with water and about 20 almonds . blend every so often a few hours then strain through a fine metal kitchen strainer .

im guessing it would work better with say a coffee grinder , though ive nevr used one , in order to grind almonds finer thusly getting more ’ milk ’ out of them . then adding that almond powder to blender / water / other ingredients then blending / straining .
    i dont see why its needed to ghet involved with the cheeesecloth mess / hassle .

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

It’s so easy with a nut mylk bag. I use 3-4 cups water per 1 cup soaked/rinsed almonds and blend. I put the bag in a large measuring cup and pour in the contents. It’s easy to lift the bag and squeeze slowly from the top down and then wring it when the mylk won’t go everywhere. I pour the mylk back in the blender and add flavoring. The pulp usually goes into the dehydrator for future use. The nylon bag is easy to clean because not much sticks to it. When it does, the bag and contents dry quickly and I turn it inside out to shake off the crumbs (do this over the trash or outside).

• Thanks so much everyone! I can’t wait till I get a nut milk bag. But that will be a few weeks. So I have to use that ratty messy cheesecloth. Sigh Does anybody know a way to use a cheesecloth? Your advice was great help :) I use a vita mix with one cup of water and about 3-4 cups of water , but it’s still hard to run it through a cheesecloth. What’s even more of of a hassle is that I always save the pulp to make cookies. :) Thanks so much. Can’t wait to get nut milk mag.

• After reading somewhere that the “paint strainer” bags at Lowes or Home Depot are the same thing as the nut milk bags, I went & picked up a bag of them. They come 2 to a bag and are found in the section where paint supplies are. They are MUCH cheaper, a nice fine white nylon, and appear to me to be the very same thing. Mine worked perfectly.
    I also used 4 cups water to 1 cup soaked and rinsed nuts.
    Marcy

• Thanks Mairzee! I just ordered a nut milk bag, which will not arrive till Thursday, but I’ll try the paint strainer bags. :)

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Here’s what I do: Don’t strain it.

But if you’re really picky about texture, places with homebrewing supplies will have a mesh bag that’s identical to a “nut milk” bag at a fraction of the price. I don’t trust paint strain bags to be safe for food.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I bought 4 nut mulk bags on eBay for $9.99! I don’t know why they’re so expensive everywhere else.