Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Maple syrup

sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi, I notice maple syrup coming up alot recently and how it is used in the master cleanse. I didn’t think it was a raw food. Can anyone tell me a bit more about it and if it’s raw etc.

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

It’s not raw in any way. Maple sap from the tree is like water. It is boiled down to a syrup. I think people prefer it over sugar because it’s closer to a natural sweetner and they seem to tolerate it better.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

thanks alix, I wondered why it was used on the master cleanse like it was healthy or something. I suppose it’s better than sugar.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

It’s got way more vitamins and minerals than other sweeteners and when you consider it’s “only” boiled, it’s far less processed. There are other raw sweeteners like agave nectar, honey and stevia, but there’s some controversy about the agave (some companies apparently give you corn syrup), I don’t like the taste of stevia, and honey’s sublime. I vascillate between honey and maple syrup, but in small quantities. My honey is collected only 100yrd from my house! How’s that for local!!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

its not raw, but i use it in small quantitites once in a blue moon with no adverse reaction. its definitely vegan, and adds a nice flavor to recipes.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I live close to a town called Elmira. Their clain to fame is their maple syrup festival! So as a field trip when I was in kiddy school we went to see how this nummy stuff was made. It is simply the sap from maple trees that they collect and boil, and boil and boil down to the carmely coloured elixer you get in the store. It’s very un raw!!!

• Luna blu:

I’ve been to that maple syrup festival in Elmira so many times. My family used to take me there when I was young.

It’s disappointing that such a local source of sweetener isn’t raw but local raw honey is even better I think.

• Even better than syrup is maple water. Just need your own maple tree to tap into in the spring. Naturally sweet and delicious. Is doesn’t keep though unless you boil it down to syrup. So it can only be enjoyed fresh for a few weeks.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Actually I made up the mc drink using lemon juice, ginger, cayenne and some a tsp of yacon syrup. It is a lovely syrup, rich in minerals and all raw.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

ya, it’s not raw, but it’s healthy and natural and oh so delicious..so i make allowances….ever so often lol