Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Birth Control?

2»

Comments

• I think teade makes a good point. Sorry to bring up a topic none of us wants to think about, but I am a Sexual Assault Victim Advocate, and I’ve seen enough horrid scenarios to know that i don’t want to be faced with a decision about an unwanted pregnancy resulting from a rape. It’s uncommon that a rape results in a pregnancy, but you know we don’t get to pick what time of the month a rape happens, God forbid. In most areas if you report you’ll automatically be given the option of plan B, and even if you don’t report you can still get it over the counter. still, for some women who are not aware of resources available to them, prior birth control could save some heartache. This is a bit off topic b/c we’re talking about the harms of continuous usage, but I always want to bring issues of rape to the forefront of conversations where it may be relevant because it is a silent issue in many social and political issues when it shouldn’t be.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

?? What does that have to do with giving someone an honest answer not influenced by personal motives or pharmasuedical flogging and disinformation? I had an issue with you claiming my statement was perpetuating a “rumor”. Good for taking a class and being an adovate. It’s great and it makes you a sensitive and caring persone, but some of us actually majored and studied the hard sciences and by the way, as a real rape victim, I still will not tell a young woman that the pill is safe when it is not. I know Im being irritable and I do apologize for that and for not giving a more informed answer. I shouldn’t have been yapping on the phone. In any event, I’m taking my answers down because I could really care less.

Later: oh wow, that was fricking mean of me, sweetie!! I’m sorry:*(

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Wow, this is really interesting. I actually didn’t know that the birth control pill isn’t vegan. What’s in that little pill?

• Hi Kandace,

Here’s a link for info on birth control not being vegan: http://www.vegansociety.com/html/people/health/...
    I know it’s only a brief synopsis, but if you search out your birth control, you will find that either has lactose in it or that it was sourced from animal estrogen. Surprisingly, most condoms aren’t even vegan with Glyde being the only brand of vegan condoms available in the United States.

• Alix, my previous comment about rumors was not directed specifically at you, thus, emphasis on SOME. My only point is before people listen to the vast amount of misinformation out there regarding health, it would benefit them to read the actual published research and decide for themselves if they think the research is credible or not, rather than relying on a synopsis of what the researchers found from the mouth of someone who could potentially be biased. I take no issue with your opinion about birth control. I respectfully disagree with you. My class was part of my graduate degree requirements, so I’m voicing this opinion about research based on a significant amount of time and effort put in critical analysis of research. In regards to rape, I don’t really like to go into hypothetical situations because everyone’s experience is different. My responsibility is to provide as much factual information about pros and cons as possible, let her make the decision, and then support that decision. As I said, it was little of topic but I think it’s a valid consideration nonetheless. One in six women will be raped in their lifetime, so it’s important that they have all the options possible to them available so that they can make an informed decision for themselves.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

You’re preaching to the choir, rawranch:-)

• honeywaterhoneywater Raw Newbie

gosh, i have a lot of reading to do now! you are all so helpful, thanks for everything!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Some people HAVE to take birth control for reasons other than birth control. I have Endometriosis and in order to keep that in control, i have to be on birth control for the rest of my life – well, i guess until i go through natural menopause (i say it that way because i was put on Lupron injections to make my body go through menopause early – twice!)... I wish i didn’t have to take this pill, but if i don’t, i will be in excruciating pain. I am on a low estrogen version, so i wonder if it might be vegan. I’ll have to do a little research on it. If anyone knows of any alternative options for me, i’d greatly appreciate knowing about it… as i’m not on birth control for actual birth control (not a concern of mine since the Endo. was so bad that my reproductive organs probably wont’t/don’t work properly)... Thanks!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Just giving my experiences here. I am totally against the pill or any of the other hormone releasing forms of prevention. I feel it royally screwed up my body and that is one of the things that led me to the raw lifestyle (hmmm, so maybe it was a good thing? lol) Anywhooo, I had started taking it when I was 16 or 17 and had been on it for a few years. I didn’t like being on it in the first place but I didn’t want to risk getting pregnant. I had gone off of it and at first I felt great, then my body went total wacko on me. My skin became horrible, I had problems with weight, my moods, my periods were horrible, then I had problems with ovarian cysts and possible endometriosis… So I was put back on the pill. The problems cleared up and then before I knew it my body just completely rebelled against the pill. Any pill they tried me on made me horribly sick! So that’s when I realized I needed to take matters into my own hands and search out a healthier lifestyle. I’m finally getting back to normal! I don’t even have bad periods anymore. You couldn’t get me to take the pill again for a million bucks!

• How are they nonvegan??

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

DON’T TAKE BIRTH CONTROL! It is one the of the WORST things we can do to our bodies. Check out the natural method- I know the stigma that comes with this idea, but a book by Toni something, called Taking Charge of your Own Fertility is wicked and safe and effective and won’t constantly cause your body to think you are pregnant. There are alternatives, don’t take the pill.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I am getting off the pill!!!! Thanks to this forum, I have decided to go with natural testing. I’m using the ladycomp – i ordered it today from here http://ladycomp-babycomp.com/show.php/index

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

This is a very interesting topic. I was on the pill for a while and have never really like the idea of pumping my body full of weird hormones. However, I like the idea of getting pregnant MUCH less, so the pill it was. My cycle is irregular without it though, and has been since I was about 13 (thanks to anorexia I think). I won’t get my period for months at a time. I’ve only had it once so far this year. I sometimes wonder if I’m infertile (I don’t want children so it’s no skin off my back, so long as no other health probs come with it), but I’ve had no signs of any problems like POS or endometriosis or any other reproductive system diseases.

If I could do it financially, I’d just have my tubes tied right now. When I worked at an animal hospital, I’d regularly joke with the vet and ask her to spay me. :p

• Thank you all SOOOO much for posting this information! I have been thinking about this topic for weeks. I hate the fact that I am on birth control for a couple of reasons…1. I don’t want those artificial hormones and who knows what else. 2. I have been with the same person for 4 years, and we have our own home, good jobs, very happy with eachother..but I’m only 21 and we aren’t married. Neither one of us would mind if I got pregnant because we know that we could easily support a child and we would love it, but not being married and being so young would make our families SOOOOO MAD. So it’s hard for me to continue taking birth control when I never had problems with my cycle, and I wouldn’t even mind if I “accidently” got pregnant. I mean, we’re definitely not actively trying yet, but if we were doing our best to be careful and it happened then I would think it was just meant to be. Our raw bodies are probably extra fertile loL!Ah…you all have inspired me. Looks like I have some thinking to do! Thanks again!

• I wouldn’t ever go back on the pill or even the copper IUD (and I do agree it’s prob. the best choice if you want to do something unnatural). I am pro-vasectomy if the couple and/or the male has decided that he/they don’t want children. I also am pro-fertility awareness and that method worked fine for me (and I had/have a lot of sex, am very horny!).

Uhm, as far as increased sex drive on ovulation days, why not let your man (I assume it’s not female/female since we’re talkin about pregnancy here) satisfy you or you satisfy yourself without penetration or just use a condom?

• I don’t use birth control.

• I love this topic. It is something I have done serious thinking about. For now, I plan on remaining abstinent as my birth control. But when I am married, I plan on using a natural method of birth control like FAM or thermometers to determine when I am ovulating.I’ll try to use a barrier method and/or during ovulation, instead of having sex, do other “fun” things. From the research and the stories I have heard about birth control pills, I never want to put them in my body. Also, I choose to adopt instead of having biological children, and I’m a pretty sexual person, so it all depends on how my husband feels about vasectomy. If he chooses not to, we will use natural bc methods ONLY.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I really want to stop taking birth control…. I went on it originally after an incident similar to rawrach’s post. I tried twice to stop taking it but I become a crazy emotional mess. Maybe on raw it will be easier (hopeful)

• Big topic for me right now. I was on various pills for years, and each had a horrible side effect (e.g., crazy mood swings and NO SEX DRIVE – and I mean NEVER!). On the plus side, they are convenient, make periods last only a couple days, clear up your skin, and I never gained any weight. However, I will not be going back. I am considering the copper IUD, because I don’t trust condoms and frankly, I am too lazy to keep up with natural methods. But if you go for the pill, don’t let other people make you feel badly for it. I know lots of people who love the pill. :-)

• i just went off the pill two months ago, not because i had any issues, but because i wanted to make sure my body was ok on its own. i have to say i kinda miss being on it though….

• i recommend the diaphragm. it’s definitely off the bc radar, but it’s simple, effective, and very inexpensive (i think $50 that lasts for 2 years). you have to be comfortable with making sure it’s in the right place, but i definitely enjoy it. i was always a little creeped out putting hormones in my body and though spermicide isn’t amazing, it doesn’t mess with your body chemistry like the pill. it’s a very good alternative for those who want to stop hormones but aren’t quite ready to do natural fertility planning.

• Hello. I want to stop taking birth control for many reasons and made my decision just today. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, muscle/joint pain..the list goes on. I can't believe I was missing all these cues all along and denying to myself that the pill was causing my problems. Anyways, I'm trying to find out if its best to just finish my pack and then stop? I really just want to never take oral contraceptives again, but I have one week until my cycle begins and I don't want my body all confused...should I finish one more week or just quit?!

Thanks!

• Hi rawsaysrita,

you don't really have any sort of 'natural' cycle that could get messed when you're on the pill.

It's all controlled by the artificial hormones and the 'period' you get is not a real period as you don't ovulate while on the pill.

When I came off the pill in Jan. '09 I just stopped taking it mid-pack. I had the 'fake period' and then it took about six weeks until my next and until my regular, natural cycle resumed.

Makes sense as my OB/GYN told me it takes about 6 weeks for your body to get rid of the effects of the artificial hormones.

I'm currently researching IUDs as I don't trust the natural methods and barrier methods are too failure prone as well for my liking.

I'd love to hear from more women who have an IUD and what their experience has been like.

The issue I still have with them is that it is a piece of metal in my uterus and while I think the ones that are now on the market are different than the ones that gave IUDs a bad rep back when they first came out, I'm still wary and am trying to make a really educated decision.

• Hello everyone. I really recommend the copper Iud (Paragard). I have been on it for over a month and it is amazing. The Iud is one of the most used birth controls in the world. The US doesn't push them because this country is such a pill based one. It is vegan and raw and I suggest to get off the pills and try it out. Oh and don't read anything on the internet about Paragard. There is so much negative information about Iuds. And you might have to find the right Dr. to recommend it. It took me 4 years to find a Dr. that would give me one. I went thru 2 separate Gynos at woman's clinics laughing at me about wanting one. Saying I would never get one at my age and in this state (Rhode Island), since I have not had a child yet and, that my cervix was too small and such. Finally I got one and love it. GET OFF THE PILLS!!!

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

If Birth controls not your thing, I know there's recently been a release of Vegan Condoms now - a more natural and healthier version, not 100% but neither is the pill!

Plus Condoms dont have something to mess up your interior.

• me & my husband want him to get a vasectomy. i wish we had the money lol

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Mirena IUD. It's got very low hormones, lasts 5 years, and is as effective as a vasectomy. I haven't gained any weight, no depression or mood swings, my sex drive has probably increased and I never have to even think about it (hurray for spontaneous love-making!) Don't be scared by the horror stories people will pass around. I had ONE DAY of cramping after I got it and that was it.

As with anything/everything, do your own research and make your own decision.... but having said that, getting my Mirena was one of the best things I ever did.

• Thank you to all of you that have posted!!! I have had so many problems on the Pill and have literally had some gynos tell me that they have never heard of decreased libido on the pill. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one out there that has had horrible side effects (NO sex drive, crazy mood swings and serious depression and panic/anxiety attacks) Even when I was seeing a therapist for my depression and panic attacks it was never even mentioned to me that it could have been from the pill I was on. However, I can happily say that since being off the pill (for almost a year and a half now!) I have not had a single problem with either the depression or the panic attacks.

I also did some of my own research on the decreased libido from the pill and found some information from studies conducted in Germany that actually have found (in some women) that long term use of artificial hormones can permanently effect your sex drive. I was on different kinds of pills for 4 years and after deciding to go off the pill it took almost 6 months for my drive to return to normal.

I recently went back on a new type of pill (lowest possible dosage I could get a doctor to prescribe) because of my extreme travel plans for the summer. I was on the pill for 6 weeks straight (skipped a period). Not only did all of my old side effects come back (including the panic attacks which I have not had for 3 years) but I also had horrible "morning sickness" from reintroducing the hormones into my body for over 2 weeks as I adjusted. I am not planning on going back on birth control anytime soon but I have enjoyed the positive side effects of clear skin and reduced cramps and flow.

I am new to the raw food movement and have only been eating 50-70% raw for the last two weeks (and I feel GREAT). But I am wondering if going raw has had any positive effects on anyone's cycles? Like reduced cramping, mood swings, flow, skin, etc? I actually decided to go raw because of all the issues I have had with my cycle. I am hoping that perhaps this new healthy lifestyle will decrease the horrible cramps and heavy flow during that time of the month.

Thank you again to all of you. You've been so helpful to me!