Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does anyone else get offended?

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I often bring green smoothies to work and usually get the comment ‘What is THAT?!’ Usually asked with a look of horror on the persons face. Mostly they are ruder!
I get that even if I am simply talking about raw.

Does this bug anybody else? I pride myself at being a good ‘un-cook’. I get so offended when somebody ‘ewwws’ my food!!!

If I get called a rabbit one more time…...

Comments

• I have not experienced that quite yet… but I imagine I will soon since I will be moving into an all women’s dorm. I just plan to keep mum about my beliefs in food. I’ve already got too much stuff on my plate. Pun intended!

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i am getting tired of it. every day my classmate asks me what’s in my smoothie, and EVERY TIME when i get to the leafy greens she says “it sounded good until you got to that.” if she’s joking it’s totally not funny anymore, and if it’s not a joke then she’s obviously never had a green smoothie because i can barely taste the greens if at all!

i also get asked why i’m drinking green glop. i never ever ask anyone about their food or make nasty comments (it would be so easy for me to ask them why they’re eating dead animals, but i don’t), so why do they think it’s okay to criticise me for my food choices? i leave other people alone; i just want to be left alone in turn.

once my boss said to me “so i hear you’re not eating real food these days.” AAAGH. what i’m eating is so much more real than the processed modified stuff she eats! it was enraging and very rude.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i used to have that happen to me, before i let the person try it. not a single derogatory comment since!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

luna blu- people’s reactions usually reflect insecurities/issues they have with THEMSELVES. little to do with you. my best friend used to ask me the strangest questions and say stuff like “wow, you’re really healthy!” (as if she were saying “wow, your hair is really purple!”). but when i took a step back i realized that she probably wanted to look and feel better herself, and envied a motivation i had that seemed beyond her grasp. it isn’t beyond anyone’s grasp though. realizing that is the first step to good health i think.

anyway, all that to say that it’s pointless to get defensive when people are just projecting their own sense of lack onto you.

i would ask your co-workers if they really want to know and then explain how is tastes just like a regular smoothie, but you’ve added greens, which make it a powerhouse of nutrition, protein, chlorophyll. if their interested they might ask you more questions, if they weren’t they might think twice about making rude comments that only sound like questions.

and oh, i know. rabbit! i always want to say “well, rabbits are REALLY healthy and lean!” =)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I never had that problem in all my years of being vegetarian except once at one of my temp office jobs about 20 years ago. I could have cared less, since I learned long ago to shut out the pathetic snickering of young female yo-yo’s who have nothing better to do with their lives. Or maybe there is something about my face that says, don’t waste my time or I’ll stomp you.

Anyhow, as an old 60’s/70’s girl, I’m advising you to just ignore it. Their opinions are just so unimportant.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I am going to have to cus here. I get asked alot, what’s that shit your drinking? How ignorant!

If prople tried the green smoothies, they would see that you really can’t taste the green component!

To most people they see green as rotten, or moldy or just plain gross. When are they gonna wake up and see that it is alive, fresh and full of power!?

Pianissima. I know, I know, but it still bugs me!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Oh, you’re right. That IS rude.

Umm . . . okay, throw your drink in their face, then, lol, just joking.

Ha Ha Ha! :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey luna blu- i find if i try very hard to see other people’s suffering rather than my own (like feeling sorry for these guys rather than getting angry) it not only makes me feel better but it REALLY makes people feel uncomfortable. suddenly they have no effect on you and get scared cuz you see right through them.

(p.s. i get pissed off too sometimes, it’s easy to give advice. =) )

elizabethh- that’s a cool story.

• Question a tad bit off topic, but what do you put your green smoothies in when you carry them to work (glass or plastic). I thought when you made the smoothies you had to drink it right away that you couldn’t let it sit. So I can make a green smoothie, take it to work, place it in the fridge – shake and have it for lunch?

• EnjoyRaw- Good question! I would like to know the answer to that too. Well, suppose you were making a homemade fruit smoothie without the greens, it wouldn’t taste that great later during the day since the fruit does go rancid pretty fast. I dunno- what are your opinions? When I make an all fruit smoothie and put it in the fridge- I dislike how it tastes even as little as half an hour later. Am I just being OCD?

Thanks pianissima. I think I will do that. Turn it around on them!

Enjoyraw. I try to put it in glass container. Sometimes I put a bit of lemon juice to slow oxidation. You would want to drink it at least within 5 hours for sure!

Am I a doornob? What’s OCD?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

You can always ask them if they’re having a dead animal carcus for lunch and turn the discussion around to focus on the unhealthy diet that they eat! Or, you could just ignore the comments and enjoy your smoothie. When you make a choice, you also choose the consequences.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

yeah, or if they enjoyed their scrambled egg that came out of the back side of some chicken somewhere that more than likely is diseased :) OR you could say when someone says what the heck is that?...”why do you ask? So you can criticize me again?” OR “oh it’s something healthy that I’m sure you wouldn’t want any part of” OR just plain…”why do you ask?” And then give them silence and let them answer some rude commend or stumble awhile over their own words. Then you could always look at their body and say something like, “how much do you weigh?” or “does heart disease run in your family?” and they’d probably ask why, and then you can say, “oh never mind, just something I read” and don’t answer anything else, just turn around in your chair or walk away. ;) OR you could just bring it in a STARBUCKS stainless steel coffee travel mug and they wouldn’t see what you are drinking, only see “starbucks” and probably leave you alone :)

• You are healthier and due to that probably happier than your co-workers who obviously don’t know what they are talking about! You should be proud to be raw and I bet if you tell them how much raw food has benefited you they will be pawing at your smoothie to try it themselves ;)

• luna blu, OCD is obsessive compulsive dissorder. It describes a person who gets really freaked about little things like a smudge on your shirt or something, it is usually just said as a joke.

Oh, you mean anal retentive! :) I just didn’t know what the letter meant! In actuality, it’s more like, you locked the door and you know you did, but you check it an excessive number of times, for instance. I knew a girl that had to run up and down the stairs over 50 times before she went to bed. It was really wierd, but that’s why it’s a disorder!

Hope I don’t sound like a know it all!!

You know what, screw people if they can’t deal with my choice! It’s not my problem, it’s theres! Well that was liberating!

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

The best thing to do is to have a darker container that doesn’t show anything,and when you have food,also in a darker container,or even try to eat alone.I do this a lot,I’m always eating alone at work.It is better and it puts me in a meditative state.
    (sometimes people think that I don’t eat because I don’t eat their food,but that’s ok for me,I got used to eat my “green rabbit stuff” alone,and I love it.)

• Luna blu I totally understand your frustration, and glad you posted your comments so that you can vent. I work for the health care company Kaiser and our motto is THRIVE. You wouldn’t believe how many people make insane comments about my green smoothies.

In regard to transporting smoothies. Go to the hardware store and buy a dozen MASON jars there like seven dollars. The smoothies keep very well in these jars and taste just the same.

Peace and Blessing to all …

• I usually say, “laugh all you want, but I rarely get sick” and that usually shuts people up pretty darn quick..

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I like that kiwi!!!! HAHAHAHHAHA!!!! I’m going to be using that one ALOT!!!!!!!! Thank you!!

• I tell them its pond scum. It piques their interest. Although sometimes, it actually IS pond scum – spirulina!

People joke with me all the time, but so what? I’d rather be a good natured hippy freak and spread joy and vitality than be all crabby about things. And really, a lot of my food does look pretty “weird”, but it tastes great and I enjoy it.

Try to take the moral high road and show people what it means to raise one’s vibrational frequency via food. Plus, tell them that it gives you an energetic buzz when you eat/drink it and watch them try to process that thought!

This has all gotten me feeling better! I have come to the realizaton that they are the ones with the problem!!

Thankyou all for helping me realize this.

To our health, cheers!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Pretty much everyone knows that a green smoothie will be healthier than the donuts and coffee they ate for breakfast. When they mock raw it’s most likely because they’re not ready for change and that’s the easiest way to protect themselves from what they’re not willing to face. Why else would it bother them that you’re eating something healthy?

• Great topic. I basically try to hide it. But, it is starting to leak out and people have actually been more curious than anything. So I talk about it with excitement when people ask me about it and that seems to work. For me I think it is a challenge to not offend others. Example: I am high raw and it is really easy at home in my own kitchen but when others make me food I eat it. My fiance and I stayed with his parents last weekend and I ate a hot dog and mashed potatoes and later a hamburger (this is shock to a raw vegans system let me tell you…) Then when we got home from a concert my fiance asked if he could make a frozen pizza… and I out of frustration shouted, can’t we please eat some salad!! Well, then my soon to be mother in law actually made me a salad at midnight…. which was very very sweet but I feel terribly guilty now! I certainly don’t want to alienate others by eating this way…. any tips are appreciated!

• this use to happen all the time. now they want to know because of how healthy i look. :)

• hmmm, i usually laugh it off pretty easily. I was on atkin’s when everyone thought that was nuts, and I thrived on tons of green leafy veggies and lean seafood, nuts and poultry. Most of the greens and veggies were raw when I ate them, I used olive oil, avocado oil, and things very similar to my raw diet, my friends thought I was a nut job…until I lost 100 pounds and look fabulous. Now i FEEL even better so who really cares what the peanut gallery has to offer :}

Off topic, jaymz72, you look like a dear friend of mine named Bronson!

• I get asked everyday…I tell them it’s either swamp juice, or Kermit the Frog in a blender!!!