Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does anyone NOT drink green smoothies?

queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I am the only person out there who doesn’t feel like they need them? And doesn’t want or crave them?

I honestly feel more benefits from greens if I eat them just the way they are – in salads and other ways. I like the texture and crunchy-ness.

I see so many people talking about how green smoothies are the best thing ever and how they are the “magical cure all” (they are supposed to help cravings etc) – but honestly that has never been the case for me.

I guess I am of the opinion that if humans hadn’t evolved the way we have that we would not even have blenders to make green smoothies (or any smoothies for that matter) and would be eating the greens just the way they are. So I feel that greens are best in their natural form and I feel like I need that bulkage.

Anyone else feel like me?

I feel all alone because my bf likes greens in his smoothies and when we make them I usually take my part of the smoothie first and than he adds greens to his part. He gives me a hard time about it too. “Why don’t you want any greens?” Even with other raw people too – they all want greens in their smoothies and I don’t.

I know all raw foodists don’t have green smoothies right? I don’t think David Wolfe drinks them. He lives off of superfoods.

Comments

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Hi queenfluff,
    I thought David Wolfe did drink them, on you tube he has demos on how he makes his, which includes a ton of superfood type things like maca for example. I go on and off of them, but have noticed that my mood is much more positive when I have one. I like salads more too, but Victoria Boutenko’s book and lectures show that our teeth cannot break the greens down to the cellular level which would give us more benefit/chlorophyll/nutrients…if we have not had our back teeth removed, we would be able to chew it to a creamy pulp which would give that benefit…but who chews each bite of a salad that much? ;) I like them juiced also, but blending is faster cleanup. Have you tried smoothies with parsley or cilantro in it? I like the herbs better, probably because I like herbs in my salad greens :) You know yourself more than others, if you feel good, then keep on doing what you are doing! :)

• Hi queenfluff, Ive been having my smoothies like you and feeling like you for the past two years and recently when i decided to go really raw over the last two weeks, thats when i felt like having that green drink, and i so surprisingly love it more than anything now, i ordered these amazing dates from a place in california the date people and i put two or three in my blender with a big handful of kale leaves and water and some walnuts and that drink hold s me over till lunch time, i actually like it now, to drink while i am preparing all the yuckk cooked food for my family, i sip on it slowly while cooking…

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Don’t worry. I say as long as you have your greens you are more than fine! Honestly, the only reason why I drink green smoothies is because of the time-saving convenience. I rarely have leafy green salads because it takes me SOOO long to chew chew chew and unfortunately I don’t have the time for that and I am fully aware of the importance of chewing thoroughly for enhanced absorption in the body. If you don’t like greens in your smoothies, I can’t see anything wrong with fruit smoothies alone. However, someone might argue about the sugar from fruits but you can always add ground flax or hemp seeds or chia seeds for a reduced glymecic effect in the blood stream, if thats a concern. Other than that, enjoy your fruit smoothies and green salads and everything else in between!!

• Hey Samilicious, what are chia seeds? I just got some but I wasnt sure what to do with them?

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

I don’t have a blender so I don’t even drink smoothies at all! I personally would rather just have a piece of fruit in the morning and a nice salad for lunch and dinner than have my meals in smoothie form. I think it’s more satisfying.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Hi rawgirldc, there is so much to say about the little chia seeds. These little guys are PACKED with nutrients. You can google them and get alot of information about thier nutritional contents. They have been used by the ancient Aztecs and are slowly being reintroduced. Here is some of its intruguing health benefits:
    7x more vitamin C than an orange
    6x more CALCIUM than MILK
    15x more MAGNESIUM than BROCCOLI
    3x more IRON than SPINACH

(by the way, I’m gettng this information off a brocure I got from my health food store)

Studies Demontrate:
    Reduction in Infammation (C-Reactive Protien)
    Blood Pressure Reduction (not that we raw foodists need it)
    Control Diabetes
    Weight management
    Bowl Movement and colonics health
    Beneficial to Women’s Health
    etc….

Also there is a great pudding recipe on this site made with using chia seeds. Its called “Warming chia pudding”. For other ideas, you can grind them up, or not, and just sprinkle them in smoothies (green or fruit based). You can add them to salads, raw pastas, raw soups, dips, cereals, spreads, almost anything, really. The great thing about them is that you don’t have to grind them to get the nutrients from within like flax seeds, because they are highly digestible, although there’s no problem with grinding them. Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your chia seeds!!

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

I was doing the green smoothie thing until I got a colonic and was informed of the importance of food combining. Oh my, fruits and vegetables do not go together! If promotes putrefaction and fermentation yuck! SO I eat them seperatly now!!

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

This is new, Jeshuabrown, I’ve always thought that fruits and veg are good combinations.. or is it that is just doesn’t work for you?.. Can you tell us who told you this information?..It’s been a good combo for me for years…

• I don’t do smoothies, but for a very silly reason. I had an evil roommate once who did the sort of terrible things that sound like a Hollywood movie (and not a very good one). She was the first person I ever knew who ate them and just the thought of them makes me a little queezy. I have the same reaction for the same reason to the Dave Mathews Band, Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream and green sex toys. It just makes me throw up a little in my mouth if I dwell on it.

So sorry. Perhaps if my teeth ever fall out, I’ll consider it, but until then, I’m a big believer in the digestive enzymes produced by the simple act of chewing.

• I am not a big green smoothie fan. I have tried, but I just don’t like them, even with the fruit. I also find that sometimes even in their natural state they make me queasy. Other times I crave them. I just listen to my body and eat them when it says it wants them and leave them alone other times.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

jeshuabrown- it’s my understanding that greens are not vegetables though. they are leaves—”neutral” and mix well with fruit (at least that’s what bouchenko claims).

fruits and vegetables DO NOT combine well. but i thought vegetables were things like brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, etc…

i didn’t really “get” them until i read green for life.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I don’t take that many green smoothies. When I first went raw I really craved them but after 6 years I’m fairly alkaline and I don’t desire them that much. I prefer to eat my greens in a salad or soup. However, recently I’ve been taking smoothies again but I don’t make them as emerald as my partner likes them.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

i am just starting on a raw path and i crave green smoothies with all my being…they are just soooooo delicious….but i used to hate them when i ate junkier…idk?

• I’m with KellyS – I would rather eat than drink my calories! I generally have fruit for the first part of the day and a salad and/or other raw vegies and dip or spread for lunch. A light dinner is more fruit, and a “heavy” dinner is veggies! Boring, but yummy.

• whats a green smoothie? :P

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

lupita007…a green smoothie is basically a smoothie with greens in it: parsley, kale, spinach,etc…packed with greens and then maybe some other veggies or an apple or honey for sweetener…at least that’s how I know it..hope this helps (:

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Hi guys!

thanks for all the great responses! I was starting to feel like I was the only rawie who wasn’t into the them. I was beginning to think that I would not have the “right” raw diet – like it won’t be beneficial unless I drink those green smoothies. For me, I like my smoothies fruity and sweet and my salads green and crunchy. Now, I don’t feel like a freak anymore! :)