Excalibur Dehydrator - Timer

I’m going to buy an excalibur dehydrator today. I wanted to know if it was worth the extra money to get it with a timer. If money isn’t that big of an issue, would you get it with the timer, or is it totally something I wouldn’t use?

Thanks!
Nathalie

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I use it… but rarely. I usually just turn it off before it finished its time. Besides, I haven’t seen a difference between 1 hour and 4 hours when dehydrating for 12+ hours.

The timer is useful for shorter times… like 4 hours. But, it probably means you plan to refrigerate it soon (due to moisture still in there) and you’ll be nearby.

But, I do like the feature.

• Hi Shutter Nutter, We’ve had our Excalibur for 10 years without a timer. We’ve had no troubles without one. Drying foods isn’t as time critical as cooking is at 375 degrees. The timer maximum’s setting is 26 hours and costs only about $20 more on the 5 tray and $30 on the 9 tray. Depending on your lifestyle it may be a useful feature.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i didn’t even realize they could come with timers!

i don’t have one and never wished i had one, so it’s probable that you don’t need it. i can’t see myself using it even if i did have one.

• Thanks guys! I thought I probably wouldn’t use it much since I am a stay at home mom and I’m usually around, but I just wanted to be sure I wouldn’t be needing it later. Although as RawNutrition pointed out it only cost about $30 more, so I might just go ahead and get it … especially if they last 10 years+, who knows what my lifestyle might be then.

• Yuppy! I got my dehydrator today :) I got it with the timer after all. Not sure if I’ll use it, but it’ll be there if I need it. Now, what to make, what to make?

• I bought mine today too! Very excited about it…. I tried telling my friends but they don’t understand what the big deal is, I figured you guys would be happy for me. :) hehe