Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is this site Vegan?

I’m new here. For my first post, I promoted some animal-derived food products, and some people reacted negatively.

My confusion is that the site is “Gone Raw”, with no mention of what kind of raw. The thread that I posted on mentioned cheese in the Original Post, and there was yogurt on the home page. Also, I got a hit on this site while researching my own diet, which is mainly raw animal products.

The vast majority of raw dieters will probably be closer to the plant side than animal, but my question is this: is this site explicitly a vegan/vegetarian/no-meat site, or is that something the posters have taken for granted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Bigwaterjar!

At the top of the website on the far left it says
    “Welcome to Gone Raw!

Gone Raw is a website created to help people share and discuss raw, vegan food recipes from around the world.”

Hope that helps :)

PS You have to not be logged in to see it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

By the way, it doesn’t say “that” when you are logged in. The entire “Welcome to Gone Raw” section does not appear and is replaced with “Welcome back <name>!”

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I am getting quite the no meat vibe from this site. I guess it pretty much is taken for granted that raw means no meat here. I think all should be welcome, but I don’t think anyone may like any meat based advice.

Cooked meat grasses vegans out, raw meat creeps out everyone!

No offense if you eat raw meat. I would perfer not to know about it!

Hope this helps!

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

raw meat doesn’t creep out everyone, as evidenced by the many people who eat it.

i personally am vegetarian and would not be interested in raw meat, but i recognize that there are lots of raw foodists who are. i don’t see why we have to be so exclusive. why can’t we have recipes featured on this site for those who eat raw animal products, as long as they were labeled as such?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

It’s a vegan site. The people who run it have stated this several times. We don’t tell them what to do. I know there are other types of raw food forums out on the Net, including those that deal with folks who eat raw meat/fish/eggs/dairy. I think that we should respect the wishes of the site owners.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Because, this is a raw, VEGAN site! I’m a little surprised that the issue of raw meat has come up so much lately. It would definitely ‘come up’ if I were to eat it!

• Errighty, cool. I’ll keep an eye on the site for the plant side of my diet, but no more meat sermons unless the rules change. Fair ‘nuff.

• Personally speaking. When I found this website I was looking for a raw vegan site, not a raw meat site. So, I support it being fully and only a raw vegan site….. but that doesn’t mean I’m knocking anyone else’s choices or lifestyles!!!

That being said – I don’t wish to have to dig through all the recipes to find ones that are purely raw vegan.

• i eat raw cheese now and dairy in my cooked meals b/c I am still transitioning to total raw, which may take a long time. But I like that I can contribute and read about people with raw vegan experiences b/c it inspires me to do what I am doing. all of which is to say i think that a person who is not a raw vegan can still be a part of this community. also i don’t know if i’ll ever be a total raw vegan b/c i don’t have any problem with raw honey!

• I have to agree with skizzy.. I totally understand that the sign on the door says vegan-raw but I think that as a growing site it may be time to incorporate some different views on raw.. because after all there are alot of us on this site still learning what kind of raw we want to be and maybe there are folks here who’d be interested in raw-meat who maybe haven’t heard about it or know about it.. even if there aren’t it would be interesting to know about those who eat raw animal products and see/compare how living raw-vegan is like or unlike living raw-meat…

We are living in the “Global community” age and we need to keep a VERY open mind about the people around us and how the live their lives.. Just because most of us only eat plants doesn’t mean that we can’t be close to those who like to eat meat… Right?

This is just my 2 cents worth I hope I didn’t offend anyone.. K-Mom

I wouldn’t want to have to sift through recipes to find the meatless ones!

I’m afraid I don’t want to hear about raw meat!! Meat isn’t healthy even when it is cooked, let alone raw! I do not think it is biologically appropriate for humans to consume raw meat. Well at least not this human!

• Have to agree with Luna blu about the sifting through.I find the search options could eventually be updated even as it is ( just a suggestion :-)) for a better search…So imagine if we had to go through and sort out the meat ones!
    And in my own search experience and I’ve search the raw food subject for dozens of hours, the raw food diet means uncooked (under 115 degrees),mainly organic plant based food.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Thanks for all of your input on this topic – very interesting to hear from everyone as the site grows.

Just because most of us only eat plants doesn

• i dont think goneraw is totally vegan – a vegan would never eat honey…

Could we not trrn this into another brawl please?

fistofnoremorse, is probably laughing right now because he started something and it is still going on even without him!

I don’t want to see or hear about meat either, but if people who eat 75% raw and the unraw part is a cooked chunk of meat, I still think they should be able to be on this site. They will find use of it for the raw portion of their meals. I don’t want to hear about their meat eating views though, and most likely we won’t.

That person came onto the site to stir things up that’s all. He more than likely stumbled upon this site and though ‘Hmm, how about I drop kick this hornets nest; and posted his ridicualous views.

I don’t want to seem like a trouble maker here in no way. I most certainly don’t wish to be ousted from this site. It is too valuable to me!

Live and let live please!

• I think Kandance has a great attitude and we could all learn from her. She also mentioned on a previous thread (and I am paraphrasing) that we should welcome all people who are trying to include more raw foods into their diet and not discourage them! Most people do not start off being a RAW Vegan, they progress there, and to turn people away at the begining stages will only hurt those that are RAW Vegans. These are the people you work with and who sit next to us in resturants. Out of all of my friends, and family, I have one Vegan friend and one Vegetarian family member. How would I feel if the rest of the people in my life responded to my way of life the way some of you do to others? How would you feel?

I do agree that I believe the recipes posted should not include meat, but to bash people during forum topics is a disgrace! How can we think of ourselves as compassionate people and not be compassionate towards other people! We should be helping people learn about our lifestyle and encouraging them, not turning them away! This is a wonderful forum and I am here multiple times a day for advice and support. I would really hate to see us start discriminating against people who are interested in our way of life.

• Yay Junebelle! I TOTALLY agree with everything you said.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Except he was trolling, so should expect no sympathy. He wasn’t being discrimated against.

• This thread’s still hopping, eh?

(cherie03 writes: Am I crazy or do bigwaterjar and fistofnoremorse sound like the same person? Their posts seem to be geared toward gross descriptions to deliberately offend.)

For your sake, I hope those aren’t the only two options. I honestly don’t remember any “gross descriptions” and there was definitely no deliberate attempt to offend. Remember, I didn’t know this was veggie-centered before I posted my first post, and even that wasn’t personally insulting to anybody, just the logic behind the diet.

(Luna blu writes: I

bigwaterjar

I meant cooked meat is unhealthy, raw doubly so. Didn’t mean veg.I was talking about meat, not all food!! Plus my comments were not actually aimed at you .

As I said before, live and let live ok?
    This will be my last post on this topic.
    Peace and metta :)

• I am glad this is a raw vegan site and I would not be here to support if it included raw animal products. Sure we should allow non-raw, non-vegans, anyone really, to be here IF they are interested in incorporating more raw vegan dishes into more of their food choices. If they are not interested in those type of dishes, really- why else would they be here? No good reason. They can eat their dead animals and animal products, talk about it on other sites, and come here for their veggie dishes if they so choose. The owners of the site are exceptional people who only wish for it to be raw vegan.

I respect others’ rights to do as they choose… as long as it does not harm others. When someone chooses to kill or support the killing of sentinet beings when it is proven beyond doubt now that we do not need animal meat or products to survive- and can, in fact, THRIVE without it- I have the right to choose not to respect that person’s morale character, actions, ideology or belief system. Do I wish harm to them? No. That is completely against my belief in not intentionally harming others and bringing more pain, suffering, fear, and selfishness into our world. Do I repsect their choices? No, not to a certain degree. Or phrased differently: yes, but only to a certain degree. Do I realize they are on thier own path? Yes. That is why I respect their choices to a degree, but cannot condone, encourage, applaud, or appreciate their actions. They are not adding to the joy and beauty of the experience of what our world has to truly offer, they are taking away from it.

Of course, I realize I may become more “accepting” of others in time on my journey, since only time will tell, but I cannot imagine ever condoning the senseless killing of any sentient beings knowing now what I do.

BigWaterJar and FistOfNoRemorse are both very charming and elegant in their choice of words and attempted use of logic to sway people to over to their point of view and accpetance of their killing of animals for their own selfish desires. Not only are we beings of logical adeptness, our other half of being, that many attempt to downplay or delete out of fear, is in feelings, emotions, intuition. We should use them both. They are both equal gifts granted upon our consciousness here.

• Is it just me or are people being extremely sensitive? It seems like there are things being misunderstood and/or taken personally. Sure some people will fight for their way (and it is obviously not supportive of the vegans and raw foodist here) but aren’t we just playing into the debate that they want to create? and now there may be someone who is ligitimately curious so we are taking it out on them?,..maybe if people just answer the questions without taking it personally or just ignore the posts then these long debates wouldn’t have to occur…this is a site for support, not debate….....It’s draining to see the negative things come out, from the people who venture on this site regularly and from the newbies…..the cliche way of summing it up…”Can’t we all just get along??!!” ;)