Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Leaving Raw Foods: How?

Hello,

This is Day 30 of my fantastic experience on a raw foods trial. This probably isn’t a popular question, but I still feel I can get some sensible and helpful answers from a site as great as goneraw.com.

Basically, does anyone have any advice from transitioning out of a raw foods diet? How to introduce other foods back in, yes even non-vegan items, and what process this all should take? I can’t find quite a lot of information on this, but I suppose it should be similar to transitioning into some other diet. I had heard good things about using baby foods, any truth to that?

Thanks again!

-Chris

Comments

• If you must do it, then you should do it very slowly. If you decide to go back to animal foods again, your body may have ‘forgotten’ how to digest them, and will need time to remember, and get used to it again. You should reintroduce these food items in VERY small portions, increasing the portion size very slowly over several days to avoid or at least minimize digestive problems.

At least, that’s what I’ve read. I’m sorry I don’t have a link for you.

Very sad that you want to leave the diet. I hope you will reconsider, for your own sake.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

natalia rose has a great book called “the raw food detox diet” that is excellent for transitioning into raw. i bet if you did it backwards it would make for a smooth transition. she has animal products including meat in her book.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

It depends how far of a transition you want to make. Cooked vegan? Cooked vegetarian? Whole foods omnivore? Or full blown SAD eating? I would just go very very slowly, and maybe keep your breakfast raw if you can and still keep a moderate percentage of raw food?
    Good luck!

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

You have to do it really slowly, and avoid meats and dairy for a while….probably like start eating cooked veggies, then mabye some brothy soups, then grains, but make sure you keep eating mostly raw for a little bit. Sorry, that’s all I know…I’m sorry that you are leaving this, but hey, it’s not for everyone. Good luck with whatever you do.

• Thanks for all the replies!

Lots of good advice. I appreciate that I didn’t get any rude comments, but I didn’t expect to. Just because this diet is not for me right now, doesn’t mean it won’t be at another time. This won’t be my only raw foods trial.

elizabethh,

I disagree that a diet with meat in it makes it a SAD. The Standard American Diet is not healthy, at all, and I know this is a raw foods forum, but you can be healthy and eat meat.

What has surprised me the most was that I still like the taste of bananas, and after eating so many, who’d a thunk it?

Thanks again everyone!

• Hey ziggytaxi, Id love to talk to you more about your experience (if you dont mind me picking your brain a bit) :) I followed the link you had posted for your blog and found it so helpful to read it! I tried to go 30 days 100% and could not make it after a bad detox period. I was wondering if we could continue this conversation via email, if you would not mind me asking you a couple of questions- mainly, how you got through the tough part?

Thanks and blessings on your journey, whatever yummies it entails!
    Marysia

• HeHe read the book backwards. Funny, but oddly makes sense.

• Marysia,

I commented to your comment on the blog. I also left my E-Mail address on there, or you can use the comment form on my site.

Thanks again for the detailed and insightful comment. It’s always interesting to read about others trying the 30 days trial.

Take care,
    Chris

• Hi ziggytaxi,

Just wanted to point out that Elizabethh actually said “Whole foods omnivore” directly before the SAD reference…

;-)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

ziggytaxi, I once tried to do 100 raw all at once x%x it wasn’t right for me at the time either. About eight or nine months later, I naturally transitioned into mostly raw: I ate meat, but everything else raw, for about the last two and a half years. Now I am eating all raw, but everyone is different. A couple of times in the last year I ate more cooked foods – whole grains and vegetables were the easiest on my system when I wasn’t eating all raw. I found ways to get raw into my diet in simple ways – fajitas in whole grain tortillas with fresh guacamole & salsa, etc. Best of luck!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Hey, good for you for trying it at all! Maybe someday it will be the right time for it. You don’t have to eat only cooked.You can incorporate some of the things into your meals that you have learned in the last 30 days. Even if you keep your meals half raw most of the time, you are doing better than most .

Just do this slowly. If you go too quickly you may end up with some intestinal upsets!

Hope this helps!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

ziggytaxi, I just thought of two other things – for me, when I went back to eating cooked food a few months ago, the 2 things I noticed were water & fiber. I was getting plenty of both with raw (& juicy) plant foods, but I had to pay more attention to make sure I got enough when not eating as much raw.