dehydrator?

Ok, so I have a dehydrator that I’ve had for over 5 years. I’m not sure what brand, although it’s not an excalibur one. Whenever I dehydrate wet batters in balls, it spoils. What’s up with that? Should I just save my allowanceup for a new excalibur one (I’m 14, have a very picky mother)? $300 including teflex sheets. Or should I try to figure out why my food comes out like this. When I dehydrate thin crakers, they come out crisp and yummy. Some problem with putting large blobs on dehydrator. My dehydraor isn’t dirty either, so that’s not it. Any help would be great :) Thanks

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

maybe it’s just in there too long… have you tried the method where you put it at 135 degrees for 2 hours and then turn it down to 115 for the remainder of the time. i read this from gabriel cousens. it prevents too much bacteria forming. the food doesn’t actually get to 135 degrees in the first 2 hours because it just sweats… so no enzyme loss. in any event, whenever i’ve done it it has never been hot to the touch (barely warm!).

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

It’s not like a microwave that cooks from the inside out. Dehydrating dries from the outside in. Make smaller balls. I found that anything over 1/2 an inch needs to be dried at a higher temperature than flatter items.

• Thanks guys! That helps alot. :)