Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Are Over-ripe Bananas OK to eat?

Hello everyone,
I have a huge batch of bananas that have brown mushy spots on some of them. I was excited because I know I can just freeze them and then use them whenever I want as icecream or something. However, I was wondering if there is anything wrong with eating the brown mushy parts or am I supposed to cut them off and throw them away?

Does anyone know what to do with them?
Thanks in advance,
Samira

Comments

• I tend to try and imagine what a chimp would do! I can’t imagine them being overly fussy about a few brown spots. My husband pointed this out when I was carefully inspecting every single grape on the bunch before I gave them to my 2 year old… Having watched monkeys and apes being fed, they tend to fall on this stuff with great gusto and just shove it straight in their mouths… Incidentally, if the bananas are organic they often eat the skins too. I haven’t tried that yet!

In short, I think the brown parts will be fine… Enjoy your ice cream!

;-)

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I think the brown is fine too.. gives it a different, sweeter flavor. I love overripe bananas

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

No, I don’t think the mushy brown parts are okay… afterall, isn’t it a sign it’s going bad…

I heard that bananas are one of few (or the only fruit) that continues to ripen after its picked. The enzyme in it begins to “work” (kinda like pre-digesting it hehe) and it becomes sweeter…

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

germin8- i think lots of fruits ripen after being picked… pears, avocados, tomatoes, persimmons, pineapple, guava, i could go on…

i think people are too hygienic these days. i like the chimp analogy expat Katie!

• I was wondering the same thing the other day when i was eating a banana that had brown mushy spots inside, i think that mine were mainly the result of bruising, but anyway i was just thinking that people use overripe bananas in banana bread all the time, so i guess there ok.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

The only way that I eat bananas is when it has brown spots. Hard yellow bananas do not digest at all for me. Now don’t eat it if those spots turn black. That would mean that the sugars have broken down into alcohol. Believe me I had a few bananas with black spots one day and I felt a bit tipsy :) I guess you learn from experience. The best way to use ripe bananas would be in smoothies because the riper they are the sweeter.

• I’m with humanimal. Bananas without spots taste a little sour. Brown, mushy bananas make the sweetest banana ice cream.

• I was refering to brown spots on the banana itself and not all the peel. I dont if it makes a difference but normally my bananas are just brown on the outside (peel) but this time they were quite bruised and brown in the inside.

• In my opinion, the ones with any green at all are under-ripe. I only eat them with brown spots. We in the north are just used to them being picked green, so we aren’t used to them ripe.

Of course, if it’s brown INside and tastes bad, it’s probably rotting. But the whole skin can be black and often the banana inside is finesweet and soft.
  • I saw this blog today and thought immediately of this thread: http://sarah811.blogspot.com/

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thanks for your inputs everyone!
    Yes, I meant that the INSIDE flesh had brown and mushy “bruises”. Is it edible? Well, regardless they are in the freezer. You know what my dad says, he says that in Pakistan he has seen people eating their bananas only when they are mushy!! I’m not sure if this true or even if it made me less worried but….I feel safer freezing them because they become solid rather than “mushy”.
    Thanks again everyone!

• Yes, they should be edible, as long as they aren’t black spots. It will be a sweeter flavor that tastes almost like a banana liquor.