Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Flax seeds

I know that nuts and fats in general slow down detox and can contribute to weight gain. Does anyone know the role flax seeds play in this? When I eat nuts I feel really sluggish (even if it only a handful) so I am trying to incorporate more flax seeds in to my diet. Any insights?

Comments

• I think flaxseeds are NOT like other nuts from this point of view! They are just fantastic for your skin, hair and detox as well, they contain a lot of fiber and pectin to help the detox. I love them!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I have troubles, too, if I eat much more than an ounce of some kinds of nuts, like walnuts. Very sluggish and don’t feel well. But flax seeds have given me no problems so far. You really need the omega-3 in it. I take about 2 to 3 tablesspoons of ground flax a day. I just mix up a spoonful with a couple of ounces of pear/kale puree I keep in the fridge for that reason, each morning and each night.

• Ground flax is a laxative, I love it :) I agree, it’s different than other nuts/seeds

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I highly recommend looking into hemp seeds. The nutritional profile is amazing (and the ratio of essential fatty acids – omega6:omega3 – is better in hemp than in flax). Check out www.manitobaharvest.com. They are my favorite brand.

Cheers!
    Kristen Suzanne

• thanks for all of the input!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I don’t agree that raw nuts and raw fats slow down detox.
    That has definately not been my personal experience.
    Maybe people aren’t aware, careful or don’t want to use truly raw nuts and seeds and fats…so they eat macadamias, brazils, pecans, cashews and almonds which are not usually found raw unshelled. And use filtered cold pressed olive oil which is usually heated during filtration regardless of whether it is 1st cold pressing etc, so is cooked.
    Eating these things obviously slows down their detox, because as soon as you eat cooked, the detox stops/slows.

• Zoe, good point about some nuts not truly being raw. I use “flora” olive oil. The label says “unrefined and cold-pressed.” I hope this is truly raw. Which do you use? Also, when I buy flax seeds from my co-op they come in bulk and are labeled as “organic,” but not raw. I am not sure if these are heated. maybe I should try sprouting some to see if they are truly raw.

JoyceH, I also used to put flax seed in my oatmeal, yum! I also notice that when I eat things such as nuts and dates I instantly gain weight. Thank you for sharing your experience with me:)

• Flax seeds are not nuts—they are achenes, like sunflower or strawberry seeds! They are also your omega-3 buddies and a really great crop for a ton of agrinomic and environmental reasons. Chestnuts are nearly all starches and very little fat. Walnuts (all Juglans spp.) are fatty, but chemically different from other nuts and should be handled differently by your body. Peanuts are also not actual nuts, and are a tropical crop. Pine and ginkgo nuts are not tropical, but their fat profile is similar. Macadamia and cashews (also not true nuts) are the fattiest, with Brazil nuts right behind them. Pecans are somewhat indigestible, as are filberts (aka hazelnuts).

Walnuts, flax and chestnuts have the added advantage of being local throughout much of the temperate world, which is great if that’s where you happen to live. Collect your own nuts, and you’ll know excactly how raw they are.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

greenlove, I live in the UK so I get Tesco’s organic unfiltered organic, and Belazu. If I were you I’d check with Flora to find out what Unrefined actually means for them. It could still be heated, it doesn’t say unfiltered, it is a minefield, always best to ask the company. More people that ask, they may get the message that we want it RAW!!!