Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Blood pressure

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Last time I was a the doctors, my blood pressure came up 136 over 91. She did the test 6 more times and still it was around the same. 120 over 80 is the norm.

Is there anything out there I can eat that will help lower my B.P.?

I am hoping eating raw will do the trick in itself!

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Luna,
    Reducing blood pressure naturally can be a challenge. Although, I don’t have many patients who eat raw so I can’t judge from that point of view.

I’ve heard that crunching a stalk of celery every day will reduce blood pressure. I think it has more to do with the stress-reducing crunch than any specific nutrients found in the celery. Can’t hurt to try!

• GARLIC and onion lower the blood pressure and regular exercise too.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Thanks, I love garlic! I have been working out again for about a bonth now, so we shall see!

• My Mother used to have high blood pressure. Before she started taking her blood pressure pills, her blood pressure was normally showing something like 160 to 180/120.

My Mom was able to stop taking her blood pressure pills after 6 weeks on an all raw foods diet. Blood pressure started showing as 90/60 to 120/70-75 without pills, every day. We are kind of poor, so neither of us got to eat anything like cacao, and we had no dehydrator or high end blender (still don’t). Just produce and nuts from supermarket, a masticating juicer, and a 20 dollar blender from the walmart.

After the initial six weeks, while she was still 100% raw, we tried to work in a few supplements (5 htp, melatonin, hyaluronic acid, sublingual b12). For a week, her blood pressure ran a little too high for comfort (something like 150-160/100-120). We stopped the supplements. Blood pressure might have stabilized in time without stopping the supplements, but we didn’t want to take the chance.

Since then, she has started eating some cooked foods again, even meat. She is still maybe 70% raw, but the blood pressure is creeping back up. She has started taking blood pressure meds again (half of the original dose), and is trying to go back to all raw now. When she is 100% again, she’ll see if she can go back off medication, and we will try out one supplement at a time, starting with the b12, and observe reactions.

We check blood pressure every day, always.

I know you have started working out again (I’m still envious of that 50 lbs. curl, even though it is only a barbell curl. I’m not even doing 50 on leg extension yet!). You aren’t taking any supplements, are you? I’ve heard of creatine in particular causing some weird side effects.

That’s all I can think of right now. Your blood pressure isn’t really all that high, but it is certainly good that you want to get on top of it before it does get high. We all know on this end that high blood pressure can be pretty scary.

I look forward to your future posts on this topic.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Thankyou 40in8! Yes, it isn’t really that high, but it is still scary. I am not taking any supplements. I want to do this raw!

My mom strted with the high BP at around 50. She is not raw and has no interest, but eats very healthy, lots of steamed veg. and salads and grilled salmon. She takes half a pill every day for her BP and it is fine. She does like my raw creations tho. She is 58 now, and really doesn’t want to drastically change her eating habits (my dads too, he would not be into raw!) So that’s really good to here that your mom was open to eating raw!

I should get it tested soon. I feel better now that i have lost some weight. I felt a bit ‘spun’ before. :)

• Strangely, changing which fats you eat will help scrub some of the funk out of your arteries, if it’s a result of cholesterol. However, there can be all sorts of reasons—exercising is actually the best way I know of to get it down, but getting omega-3 vs. omega-6 fats into balance will help quite a bit. Kidney function is also important, so drinking lots of water helps, too.

My whole family has abnormally low bp—after my mom suffered an attack of e.coli, her kidneys were damaged and her blood pressure shot right up to dangerous levels. I fear that all the drugs they’ve got her on now will kill her in a few years, since she’s gone into such a decline, taking one pill to offset another pill and whatnot.

• I would also add that 130-something over anything under 100 is not bad at all. If you were concerned about it, I’m surprised it didn’t actually go up. Most people have high bp in doctors offices because they’re not comfortable there.