Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Are dates raw?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

This may be a stupid question, but I really don’t know. When purchasing pitted dates, do you have to watch out for anything, or can you just buy them knowing that they are fresh fruits?

Comments

• yes, I heard from somewhere that dates that are shiny in the outside are not raw. Really rew dates are harder too.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Medjool date are not hard if you get nice fresh ones. I do beleive they are raw. I certainly hope so, I just love them!

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

I think some are steamed to keep them fresh or something…so therefore not raw..but I have gotten raw ones from a local date farm here in the desert(Palm Springs). They specifically said that they were not heated or processed in any way, so therefore “raw”.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

check the label, often glazing agents and vegetable oil are added.

• Luna blu,

If you bought them fresh, then they are definitely raw, I meant that about the dried ones.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I read that the fresh fruits are routinely pasteurized before drying, but I don’t know how, if by heat or chemical. Also, which kind are dried in ovens or on the tree. I wish I knew; I love using them as a sweetner and texturizer.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

If you buy your dates at certain places like Chinese shops, expect a sugar glaze too. Yuck. Here’s a cool link to a YouTube talk about dates by the DATE PEOPLE (as a well reputed website you can buy raw organic dates from).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQu7M3pS7w