Potatoes

I’ve heard so many conflicting opinions about potatoes (any kind besides Sweet). Does anyone know the story on these things? I’ve heard they are poisonous, but I ate them raw all the time as a kid. I have also heard that they are quite nutritious when eaten raw. Yet not a lot of raw food recipes for white potatoes seem to exist. Anyone have any info?

Comments

• I make raw potato chips with white potatoes.
    I’ve heard it’s if they are green that they are toxic? I know there was a discussion not long ago about the ins & outs of the toxicity. Let me see if I can find the thread.

• Here’s the discussion
    Link

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I would be safe and stick to sweet potatoes. Stay away from white potatoes and yams because they are toxic.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

We used to eat them right in the fields, I’m surprised I didn’t kill myself eating a green potatoe, lol! Anyhow, only the white potatoes that have a green tint should absolutely be avoided, because the green, which is chlorophyll shows the presence of an alkaloid called solanine(spelling?) and that is the stuff you don’t want to eat. That’s why on the otehr thread, I said to avoid buying the pre-washed and peeled white potatoes from a store, ‘cause I’ve seen those trimmed!

• the green is a toxin common to all nightshade family plants called “solanine.” You’d have to eat a small mountian of green chips before getting sick, tho.