Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Olives?

I love olives (preferably black) and I am not sure if they are raw. Does it make a difference what they soak in or how they are cured? Does the jar have to say “raw” on it? If so, what is a good store to find them?

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

www.sunfood.com Good olives!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Canned olives are heat-processed, extreme heat. Most olives in bottles have been heat-pastuerized, even many that are salt-cured. (don’t ask me why they heat-pastuerize salt-cured olives!) So, you need to contact the company in question and by that, I mean the people who actually make the olives, not the store that sells them and not the distributor. Ask them if the olives are heated in any way, even after curing.

Other than that, you want to start with olives that are salt-cured. Also, sun-dried olives are good, unless the olives have been pastuerized.

Oh, thank you for the link, humanimal! I always need a good place to shop for thing like olives, too!:-)

• thats a good question! i also love blk olives and i buy them in a jar all the time. i thought they were raw? anyone else know?!?

• www.rawguru.com has kalamata olives that are quite addictive :)

• Look for the ones that are sundried in the jar (UNPITTED). I can’t remember what brand I get from the Farmer’s market,but they only have the black ones.

Hope this helps