Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What to use as a non stick in dehydrator?

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I’ve got the round variety, and only 5 trays. I have NO solid trays for making cookies, ect.
I tried using parchment paper, and my stuff still stuck to the paper, and when I try peeling the crackers off, the paper is just NOT coming off. I ended up tossing some crackers because of this.
I thought about buying some of the silicon cookie sheet things, and cutting them to the size of my trays. Would this work? What are these teflex sheets made out of that everyone uses?

Comments

• I’m not sure about you, but I’m lookinh to buy an excalibur dehydrator because of this. However, I use the mesh sheets. Did your dehydrator come with regular mesh sheets?

• Sara- Maybe you could try the non-stick aluminum foil? HTH

• I have a cheap NESCO and I use the parchment paper all the time. Are you allowing them to dry fully before you flip your crackers.

• Excalibur has silicon and teflon sheets. Teflon sheets are probably safer in my opinion than silicon. If you buy an Excalibur Rawclare with some non stick sheets, make sure the sheets are authentic Excalibur sheets. Many offer deals with 5 or 10 sheets but their sheets are cheap knock off’s of unknown quality. The Excalibur sheets have their logo imprinted in the sheet.
    Saraw, I had a round dehydrator many years ago. The best thing I found to use was plastic wrap. Some may prefer to not used plastic wrap because of the possible chemicals mitigating into your food. You could also get the square teflon sheets from Excalibur and cut them to fit.

• yeah rawnutrition, I was quite aware of that, thanks!

• I have the NESCO that came with the sheets & mesh, but if I’m doing large batches and run out – parchment paper! =)

• I use natural wax paper (from the healthfood store) for my nesco, but i just had them send me a package of 3 of the fruit roll sheets and now i have 4 in total. i love them…they flex so you can pull things off and clean up in a breeze. totally worth the $10 they cost me from the nesco website. if any of those might fit your dehydrator i would definitely recommend it.

• I use parchment paper and it works great. MUCH better than the solid “fruit leather” sheets…. I hate those things. With the parchment you have to wait until the food is dry enough to peel off, but if yours is still sticking you might try olive oil in a misto sprayer.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Second the natural wax paper. I have a Sausage Maker dehydrator and it has no sheets with it. I use natural wax paper and spray with olive oil. Works great! Cheap too – except you can’t really reuse them very well. (unless you want to spend tedious time washing olive oil off wax paper).