Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Looking for the cheapest supplier of barley, rye, or wheatgrass seed online.

Any recommendations?

I want very much to grow my own barley, rye, or wheat grass for juicing, and later to put in the blender (when I get a vitamix). Trouble is, there don’t seem to be any suppliers in my town of organic untreated seeds of this kind. So now I am looking for the least expensive supplier I can find online.

Where do the sprouters among you get yours?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Sorry, I can’t help you with suppliers, but just to let you know, if you want to grow barley grass, you have to get the barley that is still in the hulls. Hulled barley will sprout, but it will not grow into grass. If anyone knows where to get this kind of barley, I would love to know about it!

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

i got my raw oats , which are sprouting great , from
    www.sunorganic.com . and other rawfoodists suggested them saying theyre good . got me a bag of barley here too from them that i havent opened , it says ’ certified organic ’ by GOCA . think theyre in calif .

• I purchased a wheatgrass kit from www.wheatgrasskits.com. It comes with everything you need to get started. I ordered the hurricane wheatgrass juicer, which is a manual, and have been pleased with it. (I typically only juice for myself.) I’ve ordered barley and wheatgrass seeds from them. When I was searching I found their prices to be the best.

satchy – does that barley grow into grass?

• Thanks guys, for all your replies. :-)

Roman, I never thought of oats. I know that a bag of horse oats bought 20 years ago would sprout. But I always fed them to the chickens. LOL! None of my family or friends had yet considered juicing grasses.

I’ll ask around and see if today’s horse oats will sprout. If so, that would be a most acceptable option. Probably cheaper as well.

Thanks again for the links and info. It will come in handy.

• Angie, the barley does grow into grass. It is bitter. Still getting used to it.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

ive always wanted to try adding things to soaking grains in order to impart their taste into the grain . like say tomato / garlic / basil to give it a pizza type flavor . or maybe apple juice and cinnamon to soaking oats for like an apple pie , that’d be awesome if it worked .

and havent tried barley yet but the oats less green tasting then the wheat to me , im liking the oats better .

Thanks, Satchy! I have been wanting to know how I could grow some barley grass. I love this site!

• Maybe if you tried adding the dried stuff to the soil. Maybe they would obsorb the flavor through the soil as they grow into grass :).

Chris S, you crack me up – add stuff to the soil hehehe Maybe if I add garlic & basil to my soil when I grow tomatoes, I will grow marinara sauce? :D

• I just ordered 50 lbs from the Optimum Health Institute in San Diego for about $32.00. They test theirs so they have excellent germination rate and no mold issues. I think its a bargain considering the poor germination rates I get from the grocery or health food store wheat.