Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

juice feast equipment

So Im thinking of starting a juice feast in May and I was wondering for those who have done them did you juice a juicer or a blender and nutmilk bag? I don’t have a juicer so my mother is willing to buy one for me when I come home but since I already have a blender so willing on that, I keep telling her I need a high power once like vitamix or blendtec. Ill be working in the summer though so maybe then I can save up. Anyway so for anyone who has done the juice feast which did you use? I know that Katrina and David of the Global Juice Feast at using the blender, I guess its less clean up.

Comments

• I only do juice feasting for half of the day and then I have a salad for my dinner. I haven’t tried with the juicer as I have never wanted one for some reason. I use the nutmilk bag way but instead I use flour bags. Which are just large cotton towel like cuts of fabric “white” and they work great. I have friends who bust there nut milk bags and ruin there juice. This way has work for me and I have to juice for me and my wife at 4am in the morning . The clean up is minimal depending on how good you are in the kitchen. Just make sure you soak you towels in a mixture of water and food grade peroxide until you get home. Then I just throw them in the washer ” note I use a natural detergent” I don’t suggest using the store bought stuff as it leave behind tons of residue and that wouldn’t be good in your juices. Save your money for your vitamix I would say.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

ive done like 15 fasts and read alot on juicers / blenders / fasting :

• ive juiced alot of times by taking whatever type tool i could from potato masher to rock and smashing up my fruits/vegis in a big pot til a mush , then added water and let sit a while before straining through fine mesh metal kitchen strainers . i like the taste of the juice better this way as opposed to the airated juices caused by my blender or juicer . plus my juicers alot to clean . for months ive been looking for some way to put like a 5 lb block of metal on the end of a handle (like a hammers made) to make a real heavy duty plant masher to make juices in a pot because i really dont like how they get airated by the high speed machines . ive also been looking for the little apple presses used to make applecider . or theres this thimng called i think a virtruo strainer , gardeners use it to seperate the pulp from juices when canning tomatoes and things . its hand cranked so slow and thusly not airating the stuff . im thinking use this hand cranked devive then add water and strain through a fine mesh strainer .

and ive also juiced by filling blender half with water then adding whatever plants and blending them up then straining , and ive just a basic blender . and it works fine .

also ive seen tons of raw foodist start and buy everything then a year later say that they only use their blender .

and if you do buy a juicer my opinions buy the ’ champion ’ , its been proven for like 40 years or around . i know people that have theres for 30 years i think . its super heavy duty and simple . theyve 2 versions , a household and commercial model and the commercials just 20 more so evveryone says its best to get the commercial for the extra power which’ll make it last longer . and ide suggest getting the one in black because ive a white juicer and after a while juices get in the seams and are hard to get all out and make the juicer look dirty . theres a site that sells the champion commercial juicer for 220 free postage . i think its www.tendecades.com , i’ll bring back link in case anyone wants it , its the best price ive seen for the commercial .

heres exact link to juicer at site , color options to the right .

http://www.tendecades.com/catalog/item/3229308/... ...

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’ve been doing the blender and nut bag routine with great results. My blender sucks, so I have to add some water to get it going, but I don’t mind.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I have an Omega juicer. So I juice!

I would recomend a good juicer. The Auger or masticating kind. They don’t heat up the juice due to friction. I just love mine. They usually come with a blank plate as well, so you can make nut butters or ice cream/sherberts!

Champion, Omega, Greenstar, are the three brands I know of.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!

just thought ide drop off a link to a thread with several champion juicer owners opinions , link =

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=373… ...

• Does the blender method of juicing produce as much juice as you get from say a Greenstar juicer? I have a champion. I’ve had it since 1983 and it’s gotten tons of usage and I think it’s a great juicer but it really does not juice greens well at all. I would like to get a Greenstar for greens but can’t afford it right now.

• Thanks everyone! I just bought some cheese cloth….I think I use that to straight the pulp out for awhile right? Right now I want to try to make some nut milks!