Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Quick Two Questions about Buckwheat

Hello,
I bought raw buckwheat groats for the first time and I’m a bit confused about something because I heard two different things about sprouting them:
So according to sproutspeople.com, I soak them for 20 minutes to an hour.
Then, can I eat them as is, meaning as cereal, blend into porridge or something? Yes or no?
(I don’t have a dehydrator)
Next, if I want to sprout them, can I do this after soaking them from the above time? Or do I have to soak them longer??

Please help out. I want to use them for tomorrow morning. Thanks guys!

Comments

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

And I forgot to change the title into “Quick Two Questions about Buckwheat”

Hey! I just figured out I can do that!

• Yes, I think you can eat them after only soaking. Although it will not give you all of the nutrients that sprouting them will, it still releases some of the nutrients. I have so much fun with Buckwheat groats. I usually soak them from 6-8 hours. I sprout them for 2 days and then make cereal. They have such a great, crunchy consistency! Good luck

Oh, I see. Thanks greenlove! That clears it up for me.

• I soak my buckwheats for 20-30 minutes before sprouting, but it is not necessary, you can sprout them without soaking you just rinse them 2-3 times a day, until they are ready. It takes 2-3 days.

• I bought some the other day but am not used to sprouting myself either. I usually buy sprouts from the farmers market on Sat. However she never has buckwheat ones.
    How do you know when they are ready? Is it when they get little tails, or do they have to be a certain length? Also…how do you make the cereal out of them? Thanks.

• If it has small tails it is ready! If you dry them in a dehydrator or on a radiator you get a great cereal! You can sprinkle them with some agave or honey, vanilla and cinnamon before dehydrating and add dried fruits or gojiberries after dehydrating. This cereal is very delish with nut milk!

• I have some sprouting right now. I only soak mine for 30 minutes as well, but forgot these for 1.5 hours. They’ll still be okay. Just RINSE RINSE RINSE RINSE!!!!! They have a natural ‘slimy’ coating. I make the most awesome grawnola with them!

Can I use them the same way as cereal and porridge without dehydrating? I know that they will be softer, but can I still do this?
    Oh shoot, I can’t use my buckwheats until after I do the 7-day green smoothie cleanse. Guess I have to keep my patience!!!

• After at least 30 minutes of soaking, you’re good to go! Good luck with the cleanse. Now you’ll have something to look forward too!

• Weather it’s seeds, beans, or grains, there is always something sprouting in our kitchen. I don’t like them because I have so much trouble digesting them, but my boyfriend is a crazy sprout addict! We’ve been trying to sprout buckwheat forever and we can never get them to actually sprout. I’ve tried soaking them for different lengths of time, but I can never get a tail. I guess they’re not raw??? :( What might I be doing wrong?

• chakra essence, some buckwheat is raw and some isn’t. i have no trouble sprouting it, and i have a black thumb. i sprout in a colander or a nut mylk bag.

• should i use hulled or unhulled buckwheat if i wish to sprout them?

• chakra essence, are they darkish brown? If yes they are not raw for sure.

• Use hulled (without hulls) that are light tan in color with a tinge of light green usually. There are also the un-hulled buckies that are for growing buckwheat lettuce – they are almost black. Whatever you do, make sure they are RAW!

I’m going to start to sprout them tonight. Would it work to sprout them in a bowl? Or jar? Or it doesn’t matter?

• Samilicious, I have never tried to sprout them in a bowl, but I think it may not gonna work that way, because they produce a mucousy thing around them and you have to rinse them very carefully and drain the water very well, otherwise they will spoil. The jar method definitely works, I have done it and they came out great!

• fuzzywuzzy thanks for answering my question.

i bought the unhulled (black) sort and tried sprouting them recently. the tail only grew as long as 0.5cm and the hull did not drop off. i chewed on a few and they seem barely edible – they are still hard. the whole batch turned moldy barely 48 hours later. any idea what i may have done wrong??

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I love sprouted buckwheat too and have had no trouble at all sprouting but I’m wondering…... Does anyone else besides me have trouble digesting buckwheat? Its really bumming me because I am gluten/wheat intolerant and buckwheat is not supposed to be problematic. I’ve been careful to purchase good quality groats to avoid cross contamination. I know technically buckwheat is a fruit so maybe its a fruit related bloat thing. Dunno. Thoughts?

• Honeygal, get the buckwheat that is a green-tan colour, it is raw. I sprouted mine quite easily, actually it was by accident! I also kept it in a colander the entire time, it swells very quickly with water, so at first you do need to keep rinsing. But it should sprout for you in a day or two.

Marichiesa – I too eat buckwheat as I am gluten intolerant, and I’ve had no problems. In fact I may try using it in recipes that require a lot of nuts, as I am having issues with them. Have you tried something like quinoa (sp?)?

I haven’t tried quinoa ‘cause I just don’t take to grains in general. Bummer. Wild Rice is good though! I also may start subbing chia seeds in some recipes that call for flax because sometimes flax feels really heavy in my gut too. Gawd, I sound like the princess and the pea! LOL!!!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Marichiesa, it could be that you don’t digest buckwheat well because of the lectins it contains.

Could you elaborate on lectins? I don’t know much I guess! Thanks.;0)

• I’m a true rookie around here so please forgive my naivete. I have been buying the bulk buckwheat groats and mixing them with other ingredients to create a breakfast mueslix. I don’t soak or sprout the groats, just eat them right out of the bulk bin. Am I getting the nutritional value by doing this? Here’s the recipe for those interested…

Breakfast Meuslix

2 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats 2 cups buckwheat groats 1/2 cup Almond-Walnut-Pecan blend 1/2 cup ground flaxseed 12 dried plums, chopped 12 dried apricots, chopped

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate.

Nutritional information: 1/2 cup mueslix and 1 cup soymilk Calories: 360 Fat: 6g Carbs: 42g fiber: 6g sugar: 6g protein: 8g

Please feel free to suggest improvements to the recipe…it’s a work in progress!

• Well yes you get the nutriounal value, but when you soak and sprout grains and seeds you get more nutrients in a manner that is easier for your body to absorb.

• Is it true that Buckwheat is just the name and its really not wheat, I overheard a lady today at the co-op explaining it to someone else but I couldn’t get the full conversation.

Thanks

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Marichiesa, the lectins in buckwheat mimick insulin and are good for some people with diabetes type 1, but are allergenic to others.

Here’s a good link that explains it better.

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html
  • What is the difference between soaking and sprouting? Do you use an acid when soaking(ie..lemon juice).I haven’t sprouted anything yet but I have soaked with lemon juice. Will things still sprout if soaked? I think I just confused myself-lol.I guess the real question is…when you soak your seeds or grains do you soak them in just water only? Forgive me if this is a silly question.

• hey Marichiesa, I too had trouble with digesting the buckwheat sprouts. Substituted them for oats in an oatmeal recipe and they really made me feel not to good with allot of bloating. I’m having a horrid time right now though due to a large fibroid pressing on my intestine. Until surgery I’m trying to stay away from any foods that will bloat me out, or need allot of push if you know what I mean, and and buckwheat made the list sorry to say. I don’t know much about lectins but you can goggle it I’m sure. Good luck.

• Ohhh hey thanks 123!!! Maybe I have her same problem.