Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Pecan mylk?

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Has anyone here ever made a good nut mylk(milk?) from pecans?

Comments

• Yes, I have made great pecan milk! Raw foodists say it tastes like eggnog, and it does, delicious! Just blend some pecans with water and agave and there you go! You may need to strain it, depending. Good luck!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Thank you so very much, rawclaire!

• Your welcome Alix!

• Walnut Mylk is great too. Soak them first though. Here’s a tip- you get more of a total quantity of walnuts and pecans by weight than almonds. Walnuts and pecans are lighter, so you get more per pound than say almonds which are heavier and cost more per pound. :-)

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Ooooh, thanks for the tip FuzzyWuzzy! I can’t believe I didn’t realize that before. And it makes sense too!

• Pecan mylk is richer because pecans have more oil. It tastes particularly good when making a chocolate shake.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

i think pecans are on dead food list :/

• Yes, fuzzywuzzy’s right, always soak the nuts before you make a milk out of them kundalalita – how come your against pecans?

• I think she’s referring to the list of certain foods that are heated while being processed which kills the nutritive value of them. I think some say walnuts and pecans are both on that list because some places heat them to break the shells open.

• How long do you soak Pecans & Walnuts for? Do you soak them even if they are not raw?

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

yes a pecan cheescake would rock..there are several recipes for pecan pie on here..also pecan cookies and a cheescake(it has pear in it though) and ice cream…just search pecan and it will come up in the recipe section

• Oh but cherie you are forgetting the butter pecan ice cream :).

• It’s ok we’ll think of some for you ms cherie :).

On pecans and dead/live foods, I think I was one of the people who warned that industry procedure was to steam heat the shells of pecans to sterilize them, BUT I’ve also stated several times that many companies now use bleach water on the shells, which leaves the nut meat raw, so pecans shouldn’t be put on a “dead foods” list when you can indeed get them raw by merely asking the company in question:-)

There shouldn’t be any bleach residue on the pecan meat after shelling but it’s always a good question to ask. Oh and when you inquire of the cleaning process, ask the people who process the nuts, NOT the owners of the store that sells it! (Unless it is the same person, of course)

I get my pecans from www.pecans.com. The last time I asked, they were using bleach water( called “cold water method”) to clean their shells, so their pecans meats are total raw. Yes, their pecans taste very good! To be on the safe side, I’m going to ask them again this year before I buy more.

And thank you for all the help on this, guys! Now I can’t wait to get more and try my hand on a drinkable nut mylk. (Note I said “drinkable”, har-har!)

• I would love to buy some in shell pecans! When I was growing up we had two pecan trees and we’d sit for hours shelling pecans =)

I love to shell, too! The company I buy shelled pecans from also sell them in the shell. I don’t know if they leave these alone or clean them but you can ask. Is this a good price for in-shell? If it is, then I might buy unshelled.

http://retail.pecans.com/index.php?crn=208

• I know www.rawguru.com sells raw pecans :)

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

what’s a good pecan-to-water ratio for making pecan mylk?

• In general, 1 cup of nuts and 4 cups of water. Should be the same with pecan milk! :)

rawclaire, just to be on the safe side, I wrote to them a few minutes ago and asked if their shells had not been heated. Only because I’ve run across a lot of sites that claimed “raw” and after I bought nuts, I could tell they had clearly been heated. I would love to buy some of rawguru’s stuff, though!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I think David Wolfes Sunfood Nutrition site has pecans. I am sure his would be raw since he is the raw God! :)

I think I get those sites and owners mixed up, lol, thank you guys again:-)

• erin – how do you grow nuts? I would love to do that!

• erinerin Raw Superstar

lapetitemort,there are a TON of pecan trees in my neighborhood and all around the town that I live in. When the season comes around, I will gladly sell you some for a really low price. They don’t fall until the fall so it wouldn’t be until later this year. But if you are interested let me know and I will keep you in mind.

• erinerin Raw Superstar

rawclaire, I live in South Louisiana and it is hard to look around in this part of the state and not be able to find a pecan tree. My boyfriend and I walked around my neighborhood last summer and documented all the edible plants including pecans and we gathered pecans from about three of the many many trees and I still have some from last year that we haven’t shelled yet. Anyway, to grow a pecan tree all you have to do is plant the pecan in the shell. Under pecan trees there are tons of baby pecans growing from all the pecans that are left there on the ground. I have looked into growing other nut trees including almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, etc. and they are all grown in tropical regions. The winters here are too cold. But if you just happen to live in California or southern Florida you could probably grow some of those. Also I think walnuts grow well here. And I’m not sure how far north pecans grow.