Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I am starving!

And gaining weight!!!!!! I am very frustrated. I am also freezing all the time. This is begining to suck. I have been doing this for 2 months and one week. Help.

Comments

• Hi Willow, Don’t starve! Have you looked into the possibility that you may have hypothyroidism? I did (do?). I had very bad circulation and gained weight. Since going raw my thyroid has normalized. I would recommend reading up on the symptoms of hypothyroidism and trying to decide whether or not you feel that it is something that effects you. If you think it is, I would recommend taking a kelp supplement and eating lots of coconut oil (read up on this miracle cure!).

You should do some reading also about ayurveda and balancing your diet based on the principles of your own constitution.

Hope you feel better soon dear.

• Hi Sophia-Rose,

Very good. I don’t have a thyroid any more. But I am on t-3 and t-4 to stabaize me. I have been doing wel on the meds…..but I have been anemic for a year and a half…we can’t get it right…also vitamin d and b-12 ar always low even when eating meat. So I don’t know if I am going to be able to continue with this diet. I eat lots of nuts so that I won’t be hungry…and will have energy…......thanks for the advice.

• Hiya Willow, Just wanted to check in and see if you are incorporating green smoothies? They are so nutrient dense and filling. If not, maybe you could add that to your staple foods?

I also have hypothyroidism and have to take medication, and even though my blood levels are “normal” I am always cold! Just a side effect. I’m sure you know this, but consistent exercise helps with circulation, etc.

Good luck…and keep posting for support. I am a newbie here, but it is very obvious that this site it filled with quality, supportive people!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

willow & Oliveroblong – I had hypothyroidism, and it has been cured by going raw. However, I still feel freezing sometimes. Cold hands and feet are a symptom of an iodine deficiency, not a side effect of a low-functioning (or missing) thyroid gland. So the two are related, but we still need iodine regardless of our levels of thyroid hormones. Kelp is a good source of both iodine & iron. My grandpa was anemic, and taking a kelp supplement improved his iron levels. A sublingual (under the tongue) B12 supplement is recommended for anyone who is vegan (under the tongue is a better way to absorb it), and sunflower seeds, mushrooms & sprouted seeds are food sources of vitamin D. Also, Nature’s Sunshine recently came out with a vitamin D supplement that is really good.

Some food sources of iodine include: sea vegetables (kelp, dulse, etc.) citrus fruits pineapple garlic sesame seeds mushrooms sea salt

Good luck to you both, & I hope some of this helps!

willow – something else I just thought of – there is some kind of vitamin in sesame seeds that is said to combat anemia, so some tahini or sesame seeds might be helpful in your diet.

• Angie, THANK YOU for this great info!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Yes, it helps to cover as much ground as possible in getting minerals and vitamins. Supplmenting with seaweeds especially dulse, kelp and using superfoods may help. Reduce salt as this leads alot to cold hands and feet. And, exercise at least twice daily to improve circulation.

• Hot and cold showers are also good for improving circulation: first you should start with hot water,than change to cold and repeat a hot, then cold water shower 3-4 times, finishing with a cold one. You should start the shower from your feet and continue upwards to the direction of your heart. Massage with rosemary or levender essential oils is also very helpful. From the foods garlic, citrus and buckwheat are good for your circulation.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

flybaby,this IS great for circulation and sore muscles as well. It is called a vascular flush. We learned this at Massage Therapy college it’s 3 minutes hot (as hot as you can take it, don’t burn yourself!) 30 seconds cool to be technical about it! You don’t want to shiver though, as it defeats the pupose by flexing up the muscles. It is also great for the immune system.

sweetpea – How does salt lead to cold hands & feet? Is it the same with sea salt & Himalayan salt?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’ve gone from having years of painful, soaking hot flashes to being very very cold. The last few days I started to eat whole dulse and for the last two days I’ve been having intense, sweating hot flashes again. I wonder if I ate too much iodine from the dulse?

• Thankx Luna blu, I didn’t know how it is called in English.