Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veggies Only - Help!

Comments

• angie – I just ordered a Spirooli spiralizer. I didn’t get it yet (can’t wait!!) but it seems pretty heavy duty. You can make spaghetti with zucchini and squash and also lasagna…just layer zucchini slices with tomato/tomato sauce and whatever nut cheese you like. Will you be dehydrating? If you dehydrate some tomatoes and blend them with a little oil and lots of fresh herbs (basil, oregano, parsley…) it makes a delish sauce. You can also use eggplant for your pizza base (there is a recipe on this site called eggplant mini pizzas) or you could make a caprese type salad with tomatoes, nut cheese, olive oil and basil. I’m Italian so of course this is what I think of! :-) For a fajita filling I sometimes toss veggie slices in oil, cumin and some pepper (I put lime juice too but I’m not sure if you can have that) and set them in the dehydrator for a couple of hours til soft then wrap ‘em up in greens with some mashed avocados.

I hope this helps! I know it must be tough but I know you will find success in this! Will send good health vibes your way…

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Thank you so much! You guys are making me want to cry :) Yes, I have a dehydrator, and yes, I can have limes! The fajitas sound wonderful! I have made pizza crust with just ground flax seeds and seasonings, & I have also made a breakfast bread/cracker by just adding ground pinenuts & changing the spices. I think I’ll have that with nut butter? I don’t know what caprese salad is, but that combo sounds super yummy!

• Caprese is a layered salad of tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and sometimes balsamic vinegar…definitely one of my faves back in my non-raw vegan day. The crust and crackers sound great! Breakfast bread and nut butter mmmm…

Okay, I guess I have heard of/seen/maybe eaten? caprese salad; I just didn’t know that was what it was called. I am going to start making the cheese now! :) I will have to post the breakfast bread recipe, too.

• ANGIE - How about my Cucumber Tzadiki Smoothie/Soup? I could eat that all day and needs no sweetener. It is super refreshing and surprisingly filling.

Hippie Chick – thanks for the recipe; I love raw soups :)

cherie03 – I have been thinking about stevia again, since this is only my second or third day with no sweets & I am already dreaming of a few months from now when I can eat berries! I think I may try it – I realized that it has been a long time since I thought about it, and maybe I was just still addicted to foods that would raise my blood sugar? (That was a long time ago, before I was into raw food at all) I was also thinking (today!) about the seven-year thing and realizing the time I have put into transforming my body & health. Thanks for the encouragement!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

for a really filling and delicious non-sweet raw meal, soak buckwheat from 30 minutes to overnight (whatever you have time for), sprout if you have time, and mix with chopped avocado, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs, corn kernels (optional), mushrooms, etc. with a simple dressing of olive oil and maybe nama shoyu and some salt…some herbs de provence in the dressing also is really nice. its my favorite meal i think.

• Well, I finished that book, “The 80-10-10 Diet” – I’m fully sold (and I’m usually pretty skeptical). In regards to diabetes, he doesn’t go into huge details, but he does mention needing reduced insulin if you have type 1 on an 80-10-10 (or “811” for short) diet.

Here’s a quote from him from the vegsource message board where he is a moderator: “Typically I find results are that people with true Type 1 reduce insulin usage from 50-90% upon switching to 811. Dr D”

• angie you might want to try this juice from the juice fasting bible by Sandra Cabot, M.D. It said to help prevent Diabetes and lower blood sugar.

1/2 grapefruit, peeled but with pith left on 1/4 bitter melon (if available) or 6 green string beans, chopped 1/2 carrot 2 stalks celery, leaves left on 2 dandelion leaves or 2 cabbage leaves 1 spring onion or 1/2 clove garlic 1/4 cup fennel, chopped. Mix with 1/2 tsp. fenugreek powder steeped in 1/4 cup hot water.

hope it help, never try it but it doesn’t sound bad.

• ANGIE- just a thought…would you consider using extracts? I have a strawberry extract in a little bottle (think vanilla) that I mix into nut mylks, etc. It might satiate your berry-love.

Thank you for all your responses!

elizabethh – Thanks for the idea. I read more & found out I can’t even have buckwheat for the first few months, but I am definitely saving recipes to last long-term, and this sounds good.

GregX999 – I have already successfully reduced my insulin like he said. Thanks for letting me know about what you read; I really appreciate it. :)

Majomi – Thanks! I read in the book by Dr. Cousens that juicing string beans is great in helping people to heal from diabetes, also celery, bitter melon, dandelion & red cabbage. :) I am going to see if I can get some string beans now. I will definitely be growing some this summer, now that I see they are recommended for healing diabetes. No fruit for now, but I’m sure it would still be very healing without the grapefruit for now.

Anyone who’s interested – Dr. Cousens says that niacin (vitamin B3) has been shown to slow down & even reverse type 1 diabetes if given within the first 5 years, and that the herb Gymnema Sylvestre (or gymnema) has been shown to regenerate the beta cells of the pancreas, which is what type 1 diabetics need! I tried making gymnema tea once a couple of years ago because I heard it was good to lower blood sugar, but it was really bitter & I couldn’t stand it. If I knew WHY it lowered blood sugar, I probably would have tried harder to get it in. I am going to try to find the powder & put it in capsules this time. :)

Hippie Chick – Thanks for the idea, but I love whole berries. Also, alcohol is a huge no-no on this plan. So even though it’s not much is an extract, I am going to stop using them. It’s really interesting what he says about the fermentation and how certain foods turn so toxic after fermenting in our systems. What’s even more interesting is that I feel so peaceful and right about this plan. Most of the time I take a little here & there from what people write, but I feel like these books have so much truth for me right now.

This is so awesome; I am getting tons of good ideas; thanks for all your responses :) I just made about a half-gallon of green juice that I am going to drink, and I was reminded yesterday of nori wraps. Yum! I am starting to miss the sweet stuff less, and I realized that my blood sugar hasn’t been as balanced the last several months – since I really started using agave nectar! Before that it was pretty regular even if I ate fruit & honey.

Edit: Okay, I was thinking about it some more, & I remembered the poor blood sugar control started when I got extremely stressed! I guess I won’t totally blame it on the agave, but I was using a lot more of it the last several months, & it has always seemed to raise my blood sugar & keep it up for quite a long time, so both things probably contributed.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi angie – I posted a question in the forums about spiralizers, as I don’t have one. The best option seems to be the

Thanks, Winona, and thanks to all for your love & support.

• ANGIE - before we drop the extract thing, I buy flavoring that has no alcohol…glycerin oil though. Okay, now I’m done. :) I am going to live vicariously though you for a while. I hear ya regarding stress and poor BG control. That’s me in a nutshell!!!

Oh, thanks – what kind is it? Probably not supposed to have glycerin either! :D

• Green Mountain

• Hi

I am also type 1…diagnosed in August :(

Really interested in what you are doing, Angie! I have considered doing veggie only, but I’m worried about how to get enough calories doing that. Also I have issues with bingeing and any kind of restriction seems to put me in a bad mind-set lol.

But I would love to read about how you are doing! Good luch :)

Claire

Claire – Juicing helps get more calories in than trying to chew that many greens, cucumbers, etc. Flax, nuts & avocados will help also. I thought the same as you before, & I don’t think I would ever be able to do this successfully without Dr. Cousens’s two books: Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine explains the reasoning behind it & helps you figure out how to individualize your diet, and There Is A Cure For Diabetes tailors the plan to diabetes & has a ton of information on how all the different supplements work (like saying that gymnema has been shown to regenerate the beta cells of the pancreas, instead of other sources that just say it helps control blood sugar). I think this is important because most of what is written about diabetes applies to type 2, and not all of it is the same for type 1, but some may be. I also would not be able to do this without the support, information, ideas & encouragement I get frome the people on this site. That is what brings the information from the books into practicality/reality. Thank you, everyone!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey angie! I did Dr. Cousen’s Phase 1, which is basically what you’re doing now for a month and I was pretty miserable until I discovered stevia with vanilla extract, it’s a liquid with a dropper and it saved me. I’ve read about your concerns with stevia, for me I just didn’t like the taste, but the vanilla makes all the difference. My savior was Sarma’s green smoothie – peeled whole lemons and limes, peeled cucumbers, any greens you like, fresh herbs like parsley, mint, cilantro, vanilla stevia, little salt if you like and hemp or flax oil. You can water it down if you need to. Good luck!

Claire – I forgot to say that Dr. Cousens’s program for reversing diabetes starts with a seven-day green juice fast, and his book also talks about doing an extended (30-92 days) green juice FEAST that includes superfoods like spirulina & chlorella, along with other supplements, to be sure you get enough protein & he says it keeps you from going through the horible detox symptoms people usually experience when drastically changing their diets.

amysue – thanks for the info. about phase 1 & stevia! I was just thinking today that maybe I should check out the flavored stevias – I remembered having seen them at the health food store.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Hi Angie. I’m recovering from MS on a raw diet, but not all things raw in an unlimited amount are healthy. According to Dr. Graham, eating fat with fruit keeps the sugar in your blood and spikes insulin production. This was necessary for me to learn due to candida issues.

Mike Adams, Natural News, recovered from having diabetes for most of his youth. He also eats a raw food diet. He spoke on “The Healthiest Year” Summit about using cinnamon to slow the digestion of sugar and causing it to go into the blood more slowly. It doesn’t spike insulin. This might be something worth looking into. He no longer has diabetes.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20060404/cinnamo…

123 – Thanks! I have heard someone say not to eat fruit & fat together, but they didn’t say why, & diabetes doctors and dieticians say always eat a combination of carb, fat & protein. It makes me crazy how they have been telling me how to stay sick!

Also, I followed the link & found an article about cinnamon, which I have read about a lot. Where can I find out more about Mike Adams & his story about healing from diabetes?

Here’s a link that will take you to more links about Mike Adams. He wrote a book “How to Halt Type-2 Diabetes in 25 Days, Guaranteed”.

<http://finalcurefordiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/1…>

I am looking for info. on type 1. Thanks for the link, though. I guess I’d better go edit my first post to say that. I posted it later, but not everyone has time to read all the posts. Oops! :)

Doesn’t type 1 lead to type 2 if left untreated and wouldn’t the dietary recommendations be the same?

• Thanks for the info, Angie, good luck!!!

Keep us informed :)

Nevermind, I just read about the differences. You and I are dealing with autoimmune diseases, you with diabetes, me with MS. I actually believe that all chronic disease is auto-toxification, self poisoning, with processed foods and household and environmental chemicals. I really don’t know how to help except to tell you that eating a raw, mostly natural hygiene diet has helped me and it will help you too.