Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veggies Only - Help!

13»

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

123 – no, type 1 is an autoimmune disorder – the immune system attacks and kills the beta cells of the pancreas, and they say those cells don’t regenerate & patients have to inject insulin for the rest of their lives. (They used to say that brain cells didn’t regenerate, either, but now they are finding they really do ;) Type 2 is a metabolic disorder brought on by poor diet, lack of exercise, genetics, etc. and can be controlled with diet & exercise, &/or oral medications. Dietary recommendations from doctors & dieticians are generally the same, but they are about controlling blood sugar and helping to prevent diabetic complications like blindness, neuropathy, heart disease, etc.

123 – We were writing at the same time – funny! Anyway, hearing what works for you is helpful, if only to encourage me to keep going in my search/quest for health. Also, I feel really good about the approach Dr. Cousens outlines in his books and feel that this is at least the majority of what I have been missing; I just welcome any feedback because there may be more to the puzzle that I don’t have yet.

Claire – You bet! Thanks for your continued support & interest. :) I have been testing my pH levels, & I’m super acidic, so I am trying to alkalize by eating & juicing more greens, & I think that will help me a lot.

• Angie,Good luck to you,I wish I could add something but I am not familiar with diabetes and donot want to give you any wrong info.,however you mentioned in another post that you really do not like green smoothies,maybe you could experiment making raw soups using the ingredients you already have? A friend of mine who was following 80-10-10 made her smoothies with avavcado but she was not using sweetners at all and told me they were more like soups.

Also does anyone know if I am taking e3live daily could I also add some spirulina to my diet too or would that just be too much algae?

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i’m type 1 as well, i found it really hard to do a mostly vegetable diet. i’m just more of a fruit person. i think as long as you are very close to 100% raw, you will notice a huge reduction in insulin, and stick with low glycemic fruit. i’ve been fine with nuts and seeds, and i ate alot of nuts during the first two months of being raw. i actually think it helps to have nuts for the protien and the fat takes longer to digest. if you go for eating mostly greens and veggies, you will be eating every 2 hours and your blood sugar will constantly be dropping.

my insulin need dropped to almost half of what i was taking within about 6 weeks. now after about 8 months, i’ve returned to eating cooked food, although still maintaining about 80% raw, and my needs are right back to where they were before. :( but be warned i had some very serious lows, especially at night, luckily i wake up, but i got down to the teens, and i was going low about 4 days a week or more. so always have a snack or juice on hand.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i think agave seems to have very little impact, as long i only use a small amount.

mham – Dr. Cousens recommends chlorella, spirulina AND E3Live, so probably you’re fine.

stylistchick – I noticed the same thing about cooked vs. raw food. I went down to about one third of what I had been using before, even when I ate a lot of fruit & even a lot of raw honey. I bought creamy honey & just ate it with a big spoon out of the tub! (Seems insane, right? But my blood sugars never got crazy.) When I went back to cooked food several months ago, it didn’t hit me until I was talking to my doctor about my elevated blood sugar. I hadn’t figured out the daily totals, but he was, & he was confused. He said, “There’s really no reason a person should suddenly start needing three times as much insulin.” After I left, I remembered the reduction when I first went raw. HELLOOOOOO! I started eating raw that week! :) I am glad about using less insulin & feeling better than before, but the thing is that I have always felt that it didn’t make sense that my pancreas would shut down & never work again; I believe that if we give our bodies what they need, they will heal. So the quest I am on is to find out exactly what my body needs! All information is appreciated :)

• Thanks angie,you are probably right about adding the spirulina and chlorella. What brand do you use of these and how do you feel it has helped you? Again hope all works out for you,you seem like a very smart determined lady!

mham – I haven’t used spirulins for a long time, & I’ve never used E3Live or chlorella! I used to use Nature’s Sunshine spirulina (capsules), & I like their brand. I just barely bought some spirulina powder in the bulk herbs section of the health food store, but I haven’t used it yet. It has been so many years since I used the other spirulina that I don’t remember specifics, but I remember it had quite an impact at the time. I bought some chlorella yesterday but returned it today so I could buy more greens, and because I had never heard of the brand. I am a distributor now for Nature’s Sunshine, but just so I can buy things cheaper & sell them to family & friends if they want them. I don’t know about any other brands, sorry.

• no worries,thanks for responding:)

Probably the reason I don’t remember too specifically is that I wasn’t very healthy at the time & not as in tune with my body – it was before I went raw – but I do remember just a feeling of more balance.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

angie – how are things progressing? do you think you can post some of the recipes that you’re coming up with and perhaps label them as “for Type 1 diabetes (for first 3 months)” or similar? I think it would be greatly valuable to anyone else who may be on a similar journey.

My son (Superman! is his username) came up with several recipes for me when I gave him a list of ingredients. I wanted him to get the credit and be more involved with raw foodies, so I got him his own profile even though he’s only 6. Since the plan I am using is from Gabriel Cousens & has different phases, I will do what he does in his recipe book – label the phases. I will label them Rainbow Green phase 1 (or 1.5 or 2) and that labelling will be on my son’s and my recipes if they fit into those categories. My son already has two recipes – “Superhero Dressing!” and “Celery Salad Wrap” – and if you link to his profile from there, you can read how the recipes came about – pretty cool! He also has a topic posted to introduce himself, titled “Hi! I’m new” and he keeps checking to see if people have responded. As for me, I keep craving green juices, but can’t afford a green juice feast yet, so I’m doing the best I can with what I have.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Just curious, Angie, how much green smoothie/juice goes in in 1 day? I measure in about 16 oz glasses. I’ve got to have mine with fruit. I made a green lemonade over the weekend that was sooooo awful! Of course, I don’t have a juicer so I was drinking all that lettuce fiber—NASTY. I even put ginger an da whole unpeeled lemon in it, 1 apple for sweetness. Oh just thinking about it makes me gag.

• Izhpt – Keep in mind that you can always blend with extra water and strain it. It comes out like juice and not like sludge!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

angie- i just read your son’s recipes. awwwww. keep ‘em coming!

lzhpt – The program includes NO FRUIT for the first 3 months (or more, depending in your health challenges). For the juice feast, it is one to one and a half gallons of green juice per day, and that needs to include 2 pounds of leafy greens & a whole head of celery. I used about 15 cucumbers to make it up to a gallon. I didn’t add anything else for flavor, but sometimes when I make green juices, I add lime & ginger. If you’re not following Dr. Cousens’s plan, apple can be good.

• Hi Angie,

You could try to get in touch with Sergei Boutenko (http://www.rawfamily.com/sergei.htm) he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. He is the reason behind his family’s change to a Raw Food Diet.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Angie, you are in brave bitter waters. i know i would be there with you if i was in your situation. I felt like having a green smoothie day today so the amount is a good ballpark. You know i can put all the kale, chard or spinach in there and drink it down, but lettuce? i can’t go there. Peace.