Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

100% raw challenge!

Comments

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Hey that’s ok Izhpt, Just join us right back at it! According to my hubby one bite doesn’t constitute blowing the challenge! He tried to get me to have a chip last week! I said no!

As long as you didn’t throw your hands up and say, oh well give me another!! Your’e not out yet! (unlell you want to be)

This is the second day of my second week! I made a creamy cauliflower leek soup today. i don’t know if I like it. I will let it set and let the flavours mingle, and try it again later! I hope I didn’t end up wateing the ingredients!

Redhouse, it looks like we share the same quirky sense of humour!!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I know i’ll never be totally out and i’m so glad you started this post, Luna blu. Otherwise, I might have just kept on munching.

:)

• Ok, maybe it is easier to run a 5K – because I totally blew today. I am out of fruits (except one banana, 4 apples (that have to last until Friday). I have beets, romaine, carrots, bell peppers, spinach. If I eat another salad I’ll scream and I love salads. I’m beginning to feel that the deeper you go into this – you eventually need a dehydrator. I’ve been RAW 75 on weekends, and 90 during the week. Today – I don’t know what the **@! happened. I started with a salad and ended with french fries, and a cinnamin roll. I’m done eating today, but I think I’ll have a smoothie tonight. I think I need to start writing down what I eat to remind myself that I want to be 100 RAW. So I am starting again tonight!

Well, letting it sit did not help my creamy cauliflower and leek soup! I will let it mingle over night, and if it still sucks, goodbye soup, it’s going in the bin! :(

Oh well, day two on our challenge! I hope everyone is still hanging in there. Day two of week two for me, so don’t feel so bad if anyone is hurting for cooked!!! It gets better, believe me! :)

• I had an awesome Challenge Day! I just typed all the food on my blog, and don’t feel like doing it again (lazy, I know), but it was all raw.

EnjoyRaw…Don’t beat yourself up! Maybe you could buy or make a decadent Raw treat, so you don’t feel deprived? A dehydrator is nice, but you can make a raw cobbler without it. Check out thedailyrawcafe.com. She has a no dehydrate pie or cobble recipe. Treat yourself!

Good luck to everyone on Day 3!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

This is day 8 for me on phase 1 of Gabriel Cousens’s plan. After the first 3 days, and my son making up some great recipes for me, I got used to not eating fruit or sweet foods. (I am also 100% raw on this plan, but I was probably 99% for over a month before that.) Today is day 1 of a 5-day green juice feast, & I am looking forward to it. It was hard to let some food go to waste, but I just ate what I could yesterday. My body has been wanting this so bad; I decided it is better to waste a little food and give my body what it really needs. :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Angie, I’m interested in that new book and glad things are going well for you. Are you going to have regular blood work so we can follow your progress? All, remind me daily WHY I don’t eat cooked food. After what will forever me known as “the vegan cookie incident” yesterday, I did not sleep at all! I’m not kidding. I didn’t sleep 30 seconds! This has happened before. A little cooked food=leg cramps, insomnia, agitation and toxic emissions (sorry TMI).

lzhpt – cute new pic, btw. I am supposed to have some bloodwork done sometime soon, but I haven’t done it yet. My blood sugar has been high to super high back down to high since September. I am interested to see how it changes now. This blood work should be a starting point to measure from. Thanks for asking! I also am thinking of just doing green juices as a part of my regular eating, and not do the 5-day thing. Today was good, and I may do a day at a time off & on, or just have a glass of green juice as a meal every day or two. Of course I’ll still eat salads to get my greens:)

Oh, yeah – the books I got are both by Gabriel Cousens: “There Is A Cure For Diabetes” and “Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine”. The eating plan is the same in both books, and the diabetes one has information about diabetes treatments, and Rainbow Green has more information explaining the diet plan, as well as recipes.

• Day three and day have been good. I have been getting a bit hungry, but that is not big deal. I think when I have a few raw days of hunger pangs, that is when I make a vegan meal and eat a little bit more. However, I am not planning to do that this week. So I will see how things go.

• Can I play, too? I’ve been 75-90% raw for about 3 weeks, but I want to be 100&. I also want to try to get about 50% greens in (since I’m a fruit fiend, and have trouble making myself eat the good green stuff). I’m finally stocked with maca, cocao, agave, dates, and all that crap. Only thing I don’t have is a dehydrator, and that isn’t going to happen – so if anyone has good non-salad recipes that don’t require one, PLEASE send them my way.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi vegval, Welcome to the 100% group! Please join us. I definately recommend making zucchini noodles (use your smallest cheese grater to make fine zuke noodles, or a potatoe peeler if you must) and make marinara with mushrooms (on this site). It’s fabulous! Eat lots of avocados. Make walnut-date bars, ants on a log, creamed corn, and anything else on this site not requiring a dehydrator (you can uncheck the box in the lower right on the recipe page to indicate that you don’t have one)

I’m on day 13, and it’s been a heck of a struggle today. I’m visiting folks who eat cooked, and it’s terribly hard to see/smell/watch it. But—I’m still eating raw! And feeling great! I want to try making nut milk for variety. When I was feeling snack late at night… i had ants on a log and carrots with tahini instead of going anywhere near the SAD pantry. Phew! I’m so glad I’m on this 100% challenge.

• I think I’m going to opt out this time. I’ve found that dinner is never raw so far – I am still Raw during the day and afternoon – it’s dinner that’s not working for me. I’m going to sit and try and plan more for a raw dinner for the next two weeks and see how it works.

rediscoverrawfood – Thanks for the link! Catch ya on the next 100% Raw challenge.

It is so fun to hear everyone’s experiences! I am going to a family dinner on Sunday (Easter & also celebrating March birthdays), and I have been racking my brain to figure out what I could bring for myself. Then I realized that I was trying to fill an emotional need to belong. I was thinking I have to have something like what everyone else is having, instead of just being happy with whatever I would eat if I were at home! So, I realized that I can just focus on talking & being involved with my family, & I don’t need to focus on the food – it’s just to feed my body so I can have energy to do the important things in life, like spending time with my family. :)

Luna blu – sorry your soup didn’t work out. :(

vegval – to get more greens without a dehydrator/salad, look at the Spinach Tostadas recipe & just make it as a lettuce wrap instead of on the (dehydrated) tostada shells. You can also make blender soups and get greens in that way. I like to make soups with tomatoes, avocados or pine nuts to make it creamy, garlic, greens, & any extras (veggies and/or seasonings) I feel like putting in that day. Then I just add enough water to help it mix & make it as thin as I want it. Let us know how it goes.

redhouse – what about eating a “heavier” raw meal if you feel starving? Like something with avocados, or nuts, or something? I like alfredo pastas better than marinara ones, because they don’t leave me hungry. I also like to add avocados and/or hemp seeds to my salads. Kale helps me stay full longer, too, whether it’s in juice or a kale salad. Keep us posted on the difference with all raw.

• Hey so been doing pretty well since last night. My fiancee had cheese fondu, my favorite. I didn’t eat it but it was really hard. I got really grumpy and bit* aswell. It was really hard but this morning I feel pretty good about myself for mot eating it. Sunday I’m having easter dinner at my house. Wish me luck.

LUCK!

• Tempted by Trader Joe’s samples, but made it through Day 3. Good luck to everyone today! I’m going back out for more Raw cheesecake. That makes 100% easier!

Luna blu – have you tried the recipe for “Potato and Leek Soup Surprise” on this site? I just saw it and thought of you.

• Went to M O M S food store. They actually sell raw cookies. Ive entered heaven.

angie thanks! I just wanted to see if I could make my own up. I am really considering doing my own raw recipe book. With my talent in the kitchen and my husbands flare for photography, we could put together a beautiful book!

So hows it going everyone? Great I hope. I really felt like a cracker today. Then I remembered to check and see if my stuff may have come from Real Raw Food. I was expecting to see a sticker on the door form the mail carrier saying he tried to deliver, but no one was home so he couldn’t! Lo and behold, there was my box of goodies on the doorstep. (Am a little annoyed that they just left it out in the open!) I have sampled everything and oh my, yum!!! The Medjool dates are soft and gooey and taste like candy! Oh wow. Every thing is great! Thank goodness it arrived, or I may have blown the challenge with that cracker!

You’re welcome! You feel like a cracker? Wow – you must be dehydrated!!! :D That would be cool if you publish a recipe book! I have thought of doing one, but by posting on here I figured I didn’t need to, because everyone can get the recipes for free! But when you mentioned doing it, I was ready to buy one! So maybe I won’t give up the idea.

• Eating raw is going pretty well so far. I worked at home today so that I could eat whenever I wanted and not get too hungry. That has helped. It’s more like I get sick of eating all the time, or having to bring so much food with me, that I inevitably don’t bring enough when I leave. So, what is it day 4?

whoopeee to everyone who made it through struggles and temptations.

angie: I try to eat heavier stuff, but you know some days its just not what is on the menu. That is partly why I stayed home today, so I could just keep eating.

I don’t think I have done 4 days 100% raw since I tried about one week on Gabriel Cousins phase one. Have fun everyone.

The other thing I noticed is that I usually cook up some of the not so fresh veggies once a week to get rid of them. We don’t get the most fresh veggies here in the winter anyway. Being raw all week kinda forces me into finding faster ways to use the stuff in raw recipes. I have lots of broccoli this week. Any ideas for using that?

One more thing, I recently started putting my veggies in bags in the fridge. I usually buy them loose and do not use the bags, because it is such a waste, but I had a few extra bags so I tried and bagging veggies really keeps them fresher. I did notice ardesmond2’s picture- with bags of veggies organized and labeled. That’s really cool and something to strive for!!

Well, for some reason my mood has turned unbelievably sour! I was high on life and raw for the past 11 days. Not today!! I am so crusty today! I don’t like it one bit!!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Dont worry Lunablu, tomorrow’s another day. (Acutally, it’s today!!) There’s always gonna be days you feel down, no matter how well you’re eating. On another note, this is day 5 of the raw challenge and so far I’m doing great. I haven’t weighed myself but I feel like I dropped a couple of pounds. Once again, good luck to the rest of you.

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

hey Luna blu- In my experience, a crusty day is usually followed by a jump to a higher level of health soon after if I can get through…....good luck & hang in there!

• Sounds like LUNA Blu has been gorging on those lovely treats your got from Canada. LOL just playing, I went through this to all while my old room mate was calling me emaciated. Hang in there and make you some green juices they are so helpful when you need to get some perk me up in you.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Without my coffee or any caffeine, it’s been tough to stay awake some days. But I slept a lot this week, and that helped. I’m on day 13 of my 100%! Yesterday I couldn’t find any raw food that I wanted…but i searched through the raw recipes and came up with some carrot soup. I have been craving fruit this week, so I have been eating whole fruit and smoothies all day until I am able to eat salads and veggies in the evening. The biggest challenge is that I’m on vacation, thus without access to my dehydrator, raw staples, etc. I’ve been eating very simply. A couple times I’ve resented the fact that other folks can buy ready made delicious cooked goodies, while I CAN’T prepare raw gormet as well as I like – and I can’t go out to a restaurant for it. sigh but I can make a few raw gourmet dishes, and I’m taking raw foods preparation classes, so it should get better! Plus, my health feels 10 times better than 2 weeks ago – it’s worth it. I will stick to it. With all that I know about the health benefits of eating 100% raw, I REFUSE to eat cooked again. : ) I just bought a vitamix, so I’m going to take ardesmond’s suggestion and eat green smoothies! I will order from the Real Raw Foods store – great suggestion, Luna Blu!!

Winona – what a challenge being newly raw and on vacation – good for you for sticking with it! I know it’s not the same kind of kick, but water or an apple are things I have used to help me perk up in the afternoons, and though you may not have access to it now, green juices are super-energizing! (Also the caffeine crash is missing with fresh foods:) Cool that you got a Vita-Mix! The prepared snacks like Luna blu got will help with not feeling so overwhelmed – I definitely understand the feeling of why can’t I have convenient food, too?!

• Okay, so I fell off the wagon on my second day. which is weird, because I’ve been raw for more days than that in a row and been fine. But I was at my parents’ house and they had these tortilla chips. I totally binged and ate almost half of the bag. Thing is, I wasn’t even really hungry, I just wanted the comfort feeling of those carbs. But I felt AWFUL for most of the rest of the day. Really bloated and exhausted. I ended up falling asleep for a couple of hours and felt better when I woke up. But I’m back on the wagon! I will persevere!