Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How to GAIN weight???

shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I am not 100% raw. More like 75% raw but I try to eat as much raw as possible. Usually it ends up being 80-85%. The most cooked food I do eat, is a bowl of oatmeal sometimes in the afternoon. Then I might have some soup or cooked potato or a vegan taco (yum) for supper but always with a large salad. I am trying to skip the oatmeal though as I do not like the way it drags me down. I usually do not have it that often anyhow.

At any rate, I am underweight. I have been vegan for some months and I did a juice fast through the month of January. I recently started to eat more things like Avocados and put olive oil in my dressings and such to increase my fats. I have a recipe I posted for coconut milk which tastes better that dairy, honestly, way better. BUT, coconut milk is very high in saturated fats which I understand I need some. A thought was that I could add a couple TBSP shredded coconut to my salads as I used to do that and I like the way it tastes but I already ad about a 1/4 a cup sunflower seeds on my salads which are high in fats and vitamin E and I also eat about three to four large avocados a week. I found out when I entered all my foods that I usually eat online, that I was only at about 1800 calories and I should be eating more. So, i kndof started doing that. I am also exercising more. Mainly working on cutting wood and walking which builds muscle and that is weight.

Any tips? Am I doing the right thing When will I start to gain weight?? Should I add anything to my diet? Will eating more raw foods help me gain weight?? Sorry for all the questions but any tips would be appreciate.

Comments

• i would recommend eating more food, in general. big smoothies with cacao, coconut and protein (either hemp protein, hemp seeds, or nuts) is a good way to get lots of calories in.

try not to worry too much about gaining the weight! it will happen. just make sure you are eating plenty (have dessert!) and doing some kind of resistanc exercise.

by the way, i must say, that puppy is freaking ADORABLE! i love love my dog, but i want to get her a puppy friend. and some kittens!

• an avocado is like 250 calories and 30 grams of fat. it’s the perfect food and it’s a fruit! i would make yourself some guacamole and if you’re into it, eat it with flax crackers (more fat). you could also add dried fruit (tons of calories). raw is supposed to balance you out—whether it’s losing or gaining weight. i would not count calories but just eat as much raw as you want.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I never felt I could be healthy long term on a vegan diet unless it was raw. Weightlifting or swimming someone mentioned (on another thread) for building muscle – she said swimming because you move all your muscles, but I realized the water does provide some resistance, too.As for eating, I’m sure you will get lots of responses; just do what feels the most right for you. :)

• 30g of fat would be 270 calories. It’s more like 20g in a California Avo. But they are very fatty, nearly 80% fat. (230 cals total, 180 cals from fat). It’s very easy to eat too much fat by eating more than 1 a day + lots of nuts and seeds (which are also mostly fat calories). The best thing is just to eat more food. Fruits and veggies are low in calories by weight so you just need to eat more. It’s hard at first but you get used to it after a few days.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Thank you all for the insight. I also, do not want to stuff my self though (as I have done and found it is not that hard to do) but I will start eating more. I find that as I work hard outside, my body digests food faster and I need more energy. This is when I eat something and also take Dr. Schulze’s Superfood from www.herbdoc.com. this stuff is GREAT. Its got every vitamin and mineral you need in it. It even has a lot of B12 from non fermentable raw nutritional yeast which he grows himself from molasses. But, because I do not have any superfood on hand right now, some B12 and food does the trick.

Thanks for commenting on the puppy. Too bad though, they are all sold. Sold them a couple months ago. We still have the mom though.

Well, is there a danger to eating too much fats, especially saturated fats??? I need to eat more flax seeds obviously and I will do that. I suppose I will just have to eat more calories.

Just wondering if I might be eating too much fats already. (from sunflower seeds everyday, olive oil every now and then and at least three large avocados a week.)

• It’s VERY easy to eat too much fat if you eat a lot of seeds, nuts, avos and oil. From what you just listed, it doesn’t sound like you’re eating too much fat. To know for sure, use a website like fitday.com to track what you eat for a few days. I’d say 10% calories from fat per day is perfect, anything over 20% is too much. It’s also good to use to know how many calories you’re eating. You may find you’re getting less than you think.

For me, I’ve found that eating bananas easily makes up for calories lost from cutting out high-fat foods. I ate 8 today.

• shgadwa, I think you won’t eat too much saturated fat, as it is only present in a high percentage in coconut and palm oil. All the other nuts and seeds contain mostly unsaturated fats, but because of the calories and sluggishness caused buy excessive eating of nuts it is better to limit the amount you eat of them.

Thank you all for your reply. I think I should just keep on doing what I am doing. My mom said yesterday (not knowing that I was making any attempt to gain weight) that I was getting kind of chubby in my cheeks. That is very good! :-)

• I’m also trying to gain weight, it sure can be tough when eating healthy foods and having a good metabolism (blast!). But just keep eating. I’ve found it’s best to have as big of a breakfast as possible. I try to eat around 800 or 900 calories in the morning, it’s best to get off to a good start than playing catch up throughout the day.

Well, the last few days I have been eating about 90-100% raw and fealing great!

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

when I want to add on weight I combine coconut oil with lots of dark green leafies in my morning smoothie along with some kind of resistance excercise….like pull ups or yoga. Also hemp seeds have worked for me in the past….best of luck, shgadwa!