Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coconut candy bar

Hey guys, I am trying my hand at making a version of almond joy. I don’t have a young coconut so I was wondering what else can I use to make the shredded dry coconut stick together? I have the chocolate part perfected but the coconut even with the agave is crumbly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• honey is a little stickier than agave, but you might not use honey…

nut butter or tahini?

• mandelicious is right. Yes, honey would work, and I think almond butter would be DELICIOUS with the coconut. right o

• Well I would use the meat of an older nut anyways. Maybe blend half into a butter and grate the other half. You may want to use a mixture of a different oil with the coconut meat when making the butter so it doesnt get solid when colder, and of course your sweetener like honey or agave would help as well.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Right on Chris! :) I was going to suggest coconut oil and agave with the shredded dry coconut, maybe a little vanilla flavoring (not extract, but flavoring or vanilla seeds). It will harden in 10 minutes in the freezer, and the oil will hold it all together, so put it in the fridge for about 5 minutes, just enough so it is moldable, then put in the nut and dip in your chocolate, then pop into the fridge again or freeze first then put in the fridge.

Even though nut butters sound deeeeeeelicious, they wouldn’t taste like almond joy to me. I crave that more coconut only flavor with just a whole almond and chocolate mmmmmmmmmmm…

• Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you all! I will make two batches tomorrow, one with nut butter and the other with coconut oil, vanilla and agave. I am allergic to honey, but I bet it would have been delish too.

• Maybe add some almond pulp (the stuff left over after squeezing your almond milk) and agave. It should help as a binder (hopefully!) Good luck!

So, is the recipe available yet? :)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Here’s a recipe that I’ve had in my files for long time, but never made them. http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/dehydra…

I think that the chewiness is missing. I’ve made some nougat with agave nectar and lucuma powder that IS chewy and mixed with shredded coconut and coconut oil, it might be what you’re looking for.

Fantastic! Thank you so much 123 :) will check it out…great idea on the nougat. It’s always so exciting to find a raw replacement for those SAD foods we miss. Now, if I could imitate the fluffiness of bread or cake, my raw comfort foods list would be almost complete ;) Thanks again!

Do you know if lucuma is safe for toddlers (ages 2-7) to eat or just adults?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Lucuma is a fruit, so I wouldn’t think that it would be unsafe. Surf the Net to find more information aout it. It is often used as an ice cream ingredient and it tastes creamy instead of tart like many fruits. I think it’s more like cherimoya.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I use lucuma. 123, can you tell me how you make a nougat out of lucuma? I mix it with a tad of water and get some mushy thing that is very delicous but not nougat. Doesn’t taste like nougat either. rawmama, I love lucuma but it has it’s own strong flavor, it’s a fruit and I’m not so sure about a candy bar unless you want lucuma candy bar. I’m confused.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oooo, thanks for the great idea for substituting young coconut! They are pretty expensive and hard to find where I’m at…