Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sunscreen

ello, I was reading up on the no poo and such and was wondering- what do you all use for sunscreen? i definitely need sunscreen since i burn so easily…suggestions?

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I don’t use it anymore but I did notice (since I’ve always burned easy too) that after being raw for about 8 months, when summer came along I had a MUCH higher tolerance for the sun, I was totally amazed, I didn’t burn once!

• I’ve tried Burt’s Bees Chemical-Free Sunscreen SPF 15, which worked, but was difficult to blend on my face. However, I just noticed that they have a new product that is a Chemical-Free Sunscreen SPF 30 with hemp oil. The ingredients sound pretty good for a sunscreen.

Here is a link: http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv…

It seems like such a catch 22 with sunscreen. I don’t want to get burned from not wearing sunscreen, as I’m afraid of getting skin cancer. But on the same hand I worry about applying most sunscreens as I don’t want the chemicals on my skin.

Good topic, Veggilicious.

• The thing about skin cancer is it is caused from the sun cooking toxins that are on your skin, like sunscreen….. If you are healthy with a clean diet you don’t need to ever worry about any kind of cancer, just use common sense in the sun and don’t go burning yourself to a crisp! Coconut oil is a fantastic thing to put on your skin before and after being in the sun.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

after going raw my sunscreens were among the first things in the trash.. after shampoo i guess lol… i went raw just before last summer and i did all activities in the sun without sunscreen. i burned once, put coconut oil on and it went away by that night or the next day, and i never burned again after that no matter how long i stayed in the sun. before, when i was on cooked food and sunscreen, i’d burn after about 2 hrs, sometimes less. don’t be scared, except of sunscreen! The sun doesn’t give you cancer, sunscreen gives you cancer. this is a great site on the sunscreen myth

i know queenfluff would have something great to say about this!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’m also prone to burning, so this year I’ve decided I’m gonna get 1 hour of sunlight per day starting in the spring and continuing to summer in order to build a good base. Then whenever I’m in the sun at noon I wear a hat and coverall and seek shade. No need to demand too much from my skin. I’ve also read that coconut oil on the skin helps prevent sunburn, but I can’t vouch for it yet. So get a suntan – it’s the best remedy to a burn.

• This is a topic of interest to me, as my mom died of malignant melanoma. I’ve had it drilled into me from an early age to ALWAYS wear sunscreen, now I’m always on my kids to wear it too. It would be very hard for me to let go of that belief. You may notice that I am quite fair, so I do tend to burn pretty easily!

• burt’s bees on owned by clorox =/

i’m a redhead with very fair skin myself. i try to cover up with clothes and hats as much as i can. i’ve tried out different brands. i say, use the sunscreen because what’s the outcome of not using it? skin cancer possibly.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey coconut dream – I’m also fair, freckled, used to be a redhead, no tans here. Last summer I tried going with just coconut oil for short periods in the sun and I still burned. I had only been raw for a month or two so maybe this summer will be different, but if I have to use sunscreen I’ll be using Badger SPF 15 with zinc oxide. I read somewhere it’s safer than titanium dioxide and it’s non-whitening, which is nice since I’m white enough as it is. Smells LOVELY too.

• I’ve used the Badger 15 SPF too and found it to be one of safest. I just wish it wasn’t so greasy. But I’ll put up with it rather than use some of the others with questionable ingredients. I read recently that one of the main ingredients in most all the regular brands penetrates the skin layers and actually accelerates the aging of the skin.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

coconut dream, I was pretty disapointed when I found that out also.

I remember reading somewhere that the rate of skin cancer in Australia actually increased along with the use of sunscreen. Of course, you could also say that’s because people felt safer to stay out in the sun longer. I’ve never really used sunscreen much but I think a safer alternative is zinc oxide. The particles are too large to absorb into your skin and it reflects UV away.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I heard that chlorophyll under the skin (eating greens & drinking their juices, taking spirulina & chlorella, etc.) is sun-protective.