Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Durian

JoescJoesc Raw Master

I found it. I found it at the Asian market along side other fruits I haven’t seen in awhile and will indulge in tomorrow after I am done with my juice feast. I had someone help me pick out the Durian. I find it to be very prickly. How do you cut your durian?

What fruit/vegetable have you found recently that you have been searching for actively or not? I found the Durian on purpose but I found Jack fruit on accident.

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

You are supposed to cut it where it would naturally split open. There should be some zig-zaggy brown lines running on each side longways from stem to bottom. Then you are supposed to ‘pry’ it open with your hands but this is only really possible with fresh, very ripe Durians. You will probably have to use a knife to pry it open by those lines. Lots of people use gloves too! Prick Prick! :)

There is a picture here of where to open it at: http://www.durianpalace.com/eat.htm

Is this your first time having one? If so, let us know what you think. I don’t care for Durian much. But I have only had frozen and not fresh – I heard the fresh tastes better. It seems like it is a fruit leftover from prehistoric times or something. :)

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hey! That is so exciting! I love durian! I always pry it open with my hands. Sometimes I drop it (on a concrete floor, one that you dont care about) and then it will naturaly split open. It is sooo tasty! Durian is my very favorite thing to eat, out of all food on the planet! Good luck with yours!

• how do you know if there ripe or bad ?

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

Thanks for the information and the site. It was really helpful. It is my first time trying it so I will tell my experience one I indulge in it.

I know the durian is ripe because I asked someone else how they picked it. She didn’t know and asked her grandmother. Her grandmother saw me fighting to find a good one and then just picked one for me. She said the pricks should be big and spaced out to show there is meat.

It seems that the worse they smell the better they are too. It was interesting because when I was trying to find a good one on my own, many people kept coming and grabbing one and then moving on and I still didn’t find one for myself, so I was glad the lady picked it out for me.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

So I had some durian yesterday. I was suprised by how easy it was to open.

It smelled horrible as I suspected but I love the flavor. It is sweet. I probably won’t eat it again because the smell didn’t jive with the taste which is weird, it gives me mixed feelings. I believe it is a fruit everyone should try at least once. I don’t see how anyone can truly love being around the fruit because I had to hold my breath every time I took a bite. I do see why people love the taste.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

At the local market fruit stall they had opened one for people to try and it just about cleared the whole market, no-one could get near enough to it to have a go at it, what a stench! I couldn’t get close enough to try it. They say tigers and elephants love it!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hey, I read Paul Nison’s raw book… and it says to tell him if we ever run into the Durian. hehe

I’m curious… where did you find it. Although, I’m not sure I want to taste it unless I’m outdoors… I didn’t know it smelled so bad.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I got it at the asian market. It taste sweet and good. It just smells bad and it is hard for me to eat it, because usually your nose is one of the identifiers for foods you like, and that smell is not something I want to be associated with.

• I found frozen whole mangosteens at the asian market a few days ago. That was exciting! They’re kinda slimey (probably cuz frozen), and the pulp is very sweet, while the inner rind (supposedly more antioxident dense) was inedibly bitter. But I get a bit paranoid about non-organic tropical fruits, I seem to remember hearing they have to be fumigated, dipped in antifungals, or irradiated in order to be imoprted into the US. I try not to think about it too much, as my local asian supermarket sells baby coconuts for $.89!!!

• I was almost fired for bringing a durian to work one day. It cleared the whole floor out as people thought there was a gas leak. Needless to say I did’t eat durian at work again. In fact I don’t eat it in the US any longer because of what valencia said, all of these tropical exotic fruits are fumigated and dipped in toxic substances due to customs and agri rules. The best thing is to go to Southeast Asia and try them there – they are fresher do not smell as bad and taste better without the toxic substances. If trying it for the first time is all you want to do then do so but do not eat them regularly inside the US.