Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

SAD SMUG?

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

What is SAD an acronym for?

I keep seeing people talk about the SAD diet and it makes me think of the episode of South Park where everyone got hybrids and got all smug, and they made fun of San Francisco a lot.

And its all true, you know, people being smug in San Francisco. I live here. I even notice myself getting smug a lot. When I go to our co-op all the people who work there are “healthier than thou,” and I don’t want to get like that.

But yeah, calling what most people eat the “SAD” diet just seems a little condescending to me and I’d like to know what it stands for so I can stop feeling like a jackass every time I refer to it as the SAD diet.

Comments

• Standard American Diet

• SAD= standard american diet. I’ve also heard SUKD. for the UK. Really people all over the world are starting to eat this way rather than traditional diets, which is… well, you know… ;) I was thinkin SNAD, for standard NORTH american diet. Cause we canadians are just as unhealthy as the USA. lol.And SNAD sounds like some sort of disease ;{ But I think it’s kinda become overused to refer to anyone who isn’t raw vegan by some folks. Not everyone CAN be lumped together, eh?

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

ditto the standard american diet, and that was a really funny south park episode=P

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

I really like SNAD. I’m going to say SNAD from now on. Can’t all of North America be unhealthy together? Why just the USA? All of North America eats the SNAD. Oh and that sounds dirty. Which makes SNAD even better.

Yeah, SNAD makes me feel better about living in America, and it doesn’t carry that smug feeling either. Thanks, dreaminraw.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Standard American Dead food.

oh no….. is that….... yes it is…..

A SMUG CLOUD

OH NO!

• i live in SF too, but i don’t find people to be smug, either at rainbow or cafe gratitude. i hear other people say that, and i don’t get it. maybe they are being smug to me, but it just bounces off because i can’t fathom someone not thinking i am awesome! haha.

i use SAD if i’m referring to a real fast food & meat n potatoes type eater. my family is not vegan or raw, but very health conscious, so i would never use that in reference to them. my in-laws however…

Yeah I never have that problem at Cafe Grad, the people there are awesome. And Rainbow is kind of hit or miss, some of the employees are cool. Guess it just depends on who you meet and what part of the city you’re in.

Valencia: everyones smug.

Tenderloin: everyones too cracked out to eat.

It varies.

• haha, i work in the loin, so i hear you on that…

actually, i just had an awesome raw lunch at ananda fuara. huge salad with zucchini, carrots, red cabbage, raw sunflower seeds over lettuce with lemon tahini dressing… AND a smoothie… YUM! i ate too much though.

• by the way slosh-uh, that’s a hilarious photo… what exactly are you doing?

I live in the TL, I go by ananda all the time, but I’ve never been. I’ve been meaning to go though.

Haha yeah my friend and I broke into the Hyatt Exercise room one night down on the Embarcadero and that was one of the pictures we took there. Sober, of course.

Have you ever gone to Alive!? I’ve been to their stand at Farmers Market but I haven’t gone to the actual place. The stuff they have at the market is delish though.

Whereabouts do you work? I live on Turk and Hyde. Some tendalovin in that hood.

• i work in the state building in the civic center. i have been to alive. it was very good, although not as filling as gratitude food. but if you order two things (like an appetizer and an entree, or a salad and an entree or an appetizer and a salad) it’s totally enough, but then your meal is $20 at least.

fancy special occasion type meal. very veggetable loaded, as opposed to all the nuts/dates/grains at gratitude. i love the farmer’s market kiosk too! i can’t go this week because i’ll be in a meeting all day, but i usually go. the pomegranate lavender cheesecake is to live for.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

slosh-uh,I love South park!! I must have really been skimming the other day when I left my last post!