Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Turmeric?

I didn’t know what “Tumeric” was, and I’ve been seeing it in alot of recipes. So I decided to look it up.

Here’s what came up:

“It is also often misspelled (or pronounced) as tumeric. It is also known as kunyit or haldi in some Asian countries2.

Its rhizomes are BOILED FOR SEVERAL HOURS AND THEN DRIED IN HOT OVENS, after which they are ground into a deep orange-yellow powder commonly used as a spice in curries and other South Asian cuisine, for dyeing, and to impart color to mustard condiments.” – Wikipedia

Not to be a stickler, but this is confusing! This is a RAW site…? Right? And I’ve seen this ingredient in Raw recipe books at borders and the like…why oh why…

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I believe this is also true for all dried and or ground spices and herbs, or at least most of them. Stay with your values but sometimes concessions need to be made. Good luck and keep learning as we all need more education. Thanks!

• First they may not know that this is not raw! I didn’t know either and it is soo annoying!!! I love spices and I use tumeric quite often. Second because not everybody wants to be 100% raw. I’m about 95%, so I Don’t cook anything, just use spices, tea and not raw cocoa powder (because here I can’t get the raw one) It has medicinal properties, i is very good for the liver and gallbladder and helps in detoxifying. For some of you (maybe in the US) it may be possible to get the raw root too, look for it in asian or indian food stores!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

It may not be raw, but it’s a powerful anti-carcinogen when used in combination with black pepper. That’s what an eminent oncologist/nutritionist said at a conference I attended here in Italy. He uses it liberally in deserts to give a nice eggy color (without pepper) as well as many rice and veggies dishes.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I use turmeric quite alot, it has great antispectic properties and is good for the skin and the liver. I like to put it in my custards.

• Yes, while it may be true that is a raw website site, I don’t think everyone is 100% Raw. There are a lot of people on here who are transitioning from a SAD. They may not be 100% and that’s o.k. b/c every little bit counts. What’s really important is that everyone is experiencing Raw individually:) & this is why I love this website.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I try to stick to as much raw food as I can but I do use many spices. Some I use raw some I don’t. But even the non raw dried spices/herbs still retain their medicinal benefits, and therefore I choose to still consume them. I have seen many herbs and what not that are freeze dried instead of heated, keep an eye open.

• Thanks you guys :) Yeah, it’s true that not everyone is 100% raw…I’ve realized that…but I was kind of bummed out reading that. Because I feel like a lot of products need to be looked up to see if it’s TRULY raw. It’s just the extra effort I need to make to be sure I’m eating something I am POSITIVE I am making the WILL to eat! Some spices here and there won’t bug me too much that are maybe heated at higher temps than they should be…because I don’t buy these products, I’m sure consuming them will be a rare occasion. I appreciate the feedback! I really felt like venting…

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Spices are not usually raw and I have yet to find a source for raw ones. Grocery store spices are generally irradiated. If you use spices, buy organic. Frontier (online) sells them. Fresh herbs might be your best bet for raw seasoning.

Turmeric is good for inflammation and I have used it quite a bit since eating raw. You only need a little bit of spice, so it’s a concession that many people eating raw make. Sometimes it makes the difference between whether you like the way something tastes or not. You won’t eat what you don’t like.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

The company “health matters” makes a fabulous raw turmeric. I get it from a local store, but it can also be ordered online probably.

• for me personally, I like to look at the overall picture. I made a raw mustard yesterday and put turmeric in it to help the color. My raw mustard has a lot of good things in it, and the amount of turmeric I had to add was very small. The turmeric isn’t huring my soaked mustard seeds or my raw apple cider vinegar. So I’m not bothered by a tiny amount of a seasoning in a recipe, and still consider it raw. I do get bothered when a recipe is called raw and they use a cup of maple syrup for example. Many recipes use turmeric for it’s yellow coloring, so you could just leave it out in that case.

• You can find raw turmeric in the produce section. It looks like ginger, but smaller (about finger size), and the inside is distinctly orange/yellow.