Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

i have a couple newbie questions

I cant seem to find young coconuts, are the brown ones still considered raw?

and sun dried tomatoes… i understand they arent always “sun dried” and might not be raw… anything i should be looking for?

and one last thing (for now! lol) can you over soak nuts? sometimes i’d like to make something first thing in the am or after work, it’d be so easy just to soak them and go to bed or work and come back and do the rest later.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

1) asian markets. brown ones as raw but old. they are too hard to use the same way as young. that said, you don’t need coconuts to be raw.

2) sun dried. yeah. i’d call the company if you’re concerned about drying temperature. READ the ingredients mostly (good advice for anything packaged). there should ONLY be tomatoes in it, no oils, salt, coloring, sugar, etc…

3) i’ve had problems with nuts going rancid from being wet too long. but one day is fine in my opinion. also, you can soak a whole load, let them air dry and use as you need them.

• Well regarding tomatoes, research, read the labels as pianissima said, have a look at the companie’s website or call them. I’m so happy because I recently found a company what makes raw, organic sun-dried tomatoes. It is called Seeberger. Where do you live? If in Europe I think you can find this brand.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

If you have a dehydrator, it’s a great idea to make your own.

• Winona is right it is better to make your own with dehydrator.I found I really like the flavor of roma tomatoes so I buy alot when I can catch them on sale.If I think they’re in the frig alittle too long I slice them up and dehydrate them.Beautiful color and keeps the flavor also. Now I have big jars of them to use and alot cheaper than the brown one (small amounts) I use to buy. Also you know that it’s just the tomatoes you’re getting(no additives.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve heard if you oversoak nuts, you lose some flavor. If I soak cashews, I’ll start soaking around 11pm, soak for 7-8 hours, and then rinse around 6am after I get up. So I try to time it, depending on the type of nut. For pumpkins seeds, I’ll soak four hours, rinse before I go to bed, and the store it in the fridge overnight (it should keep fine if it’s a day or less). You can just soak a whole bunch at a time, and then dehydrate. You lose a little food energy by dehydrating, but it might be more convenient for you in the long run! :)

I’ve heard if you oversoak nuts, you lose some flavor. If I soak cashews, I’ll start soaking around 11pm, soak for 7-8 hours, and then rinse around 6am after I get up. So I try to time it, depending on the type of nut. For pumpkin seeds, I’ll soak four hours, rinse before I go to bed, and the store it in the fridge overnight (it should keep fine if it’s a day or less). You can just soak a whole bunch at a time, and then dehydrate. You lose a little food energy by dehydrating, but it might be more convenient for you in the long run! :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

if you over soak nuts they smell and taste bad, you’ll know about it for sure!

• What exactly is the difference with these young coconuts. I’ve never really understood this =/

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

achin70 – I’m SOOO glad you told me! I’m the type of person who will forget and leave the nuts too long, and they’re too expensive to ruin.

young coconuts are easy to scoop flesh out of, moxandspaceships. do you have additional questions?

Winona: Hey, glad it helped! LOL. :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

young coconuts are the ones you get in asian markets. they look like they have pyramid hats and they are completely white (the coconut is underneath). you can’t hear anything when you shake it, but it is FULL to the brim with water. delicious water. and the flesh ranges from very thin and jelly-like, to a little harder. but yes, both are easy to scoop out and eat.

brown coconuts that you get at the supermarket are really old and not much fun to eat… very laborious.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

we just cut and used our first young coconut. i had always wondered what they were. found them at whole foods. they were labeled “young coconuts”. Of course, I had not idea how to prepare them so I used this site for help:

ttp://www.living-foods.com/articles/youngcoconuts.html

• thanks for the replies! i had forgotten to check back in for a while!

i actually purchased an excalibur since i posted that, so maybe i will make my own dried tomatoes… whats the best way to do that?

• I iluvbroccoli, I like to slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and lay them out like little wheels under the dehydrator at about 95 degrees until they are really dry and leathery, they smell good and I like to nibble on them raw. You can dry most of your own fruits and veggies, it’s especially convenient when you get stuff on sale and buy a bulk of them, like grapes or apples.