Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

ume plums

This brand new FANTASTIC organic store opened up near me, so naturally I immediately went into “panic buy everything you see” mode, and picked up a (very expensive, which i realized after leaving the store) container of good umeboshi plums. Unfortunately I have no clue what to do with them. Any ideas?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ani Phyo or Renee Underkoffler uses them in her recipes. (I bought them too because of those books… but I haven’t tried them.)

• I use to get these when I first started eating raw foods. It is very salty but I don’t think its raw.I must confess I really like the flavor though.I actually added a bit of the paste to dips for saltiness and I have eaten the whole plums as is. I have one of Renee Underkofflers books,have not looked at it in awhile,I will do that and let you know if I find anything of interest.Did you get the whole plum or the paste?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

why wouldn’t it be raw? it’s just cured fruit i think…

i use two or three on a nori roll plate, grate some daikon radish and place some homemade “pickled” ginger… call it japanese night.

• pianissima,I am not sure if it is raw? I think as you that its just cured.I wasn’t sure if it is in the same catagory as miso???? I do really like them though,paste and whole,it’s such a unique flavor combination. I don’t have them right now but I think I may have to get some this week,I now have a bit of a craving:)

• delicious and pretty spread thinly on cucumber strips with black or white sesame :D..

hmm oops i am thinking of the paste not the whole ones..but you can whizz them and make a paste. or another dip at that.

use in dressings for TANG and don’t use anything else salty.

i’ve got some “ume plum seasoning” in a bottle which is the liquid from pickling the plums which i tend to use instead (its cheap hehe) and adds zesty salty deliciousness…it says on the bottle it is a good alternative to vinegar (its tangy without the actual er vinegar)

umm….use it with sushi or non salty seaweed anything. also its YUM if you ever have raw corn on the cob. sooo nice instead of butter (again, im thinking of the paste, the blended plums)

with avocado.

• Girlfridae1Girlfridae1 Raw Newbie

I’m new to raw eating so not too sure, but they are used in some recipes in Jo Staphaniak’s book “The Uncheese Cookbook”...

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

The Japanese use it in rice balls. Maybe you can use the plums in a version of raw rice. I like umeboshi plum vinegar. If it isn’t raw, it’s fermented and living.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Not sure if it’s raw, but I use it in making sauces, dressings, dips, burgers…yum!

• I always keep a jar of umeboshi plums in the house, they work miracles for stomach upsets and are highly alkaline.. http://www.cybermacro.com/Macrobiotic_Articles/... It sounds like they must be raw here, but I am not sure. :)

• yes, definitely use in dipping sauces for asian wraps, or anywhere you want a sour flavor. i’ve been wanting to pick some up (i have renee loux’s book as well as ani phyo’s) but they are pricey. have to wait until husband is not at the market with me ;)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

my asian market sells freshly made one in jars. they are SO SO much more reasonably priced than the rather old looking ones in the asia section of health food stores (at least in my area, since no one buys them!)