Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does watermelon need to be eaten alone?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Is watermelon one of the melons that needs to be eaten by itself? I combined it with lemon juice and LOTS of spinach this am and it was great. i was just wondering as I have read about eating melons solo.

Comments

• I have been told that all melons should be eaten on their own when considering food combinations.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Yes. I read that too, but i couldn’t remember if that was from a cooked food source. Thanks.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

OK. i went consulting again and if anyone else is wondering, there are a few differing opinions. One, by the food combiners that watermelon combined with other foods(not specific to raw), begins to ferment and gives gas and bloating. The other opinion, by Gabriel Cousins is that when combined with raw foods with high enzymaztic activity, these are non-issues. Since I felt great, I guess it’s another problem solved by just eating raw! Isn’t it great when you can answer your own posts?

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i ate watermelon with some quinoa last night, and had terrible stomach pains for a couple of hours. Either it was eating 1/2 cup of quinoa, or it was the combination. I don’t know which it was, but I am eating simply today—mono mealing, esp with watermelon.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I know raw/healthy sources that say eat watermelon alone. I realized after I used to eat watermelon with other fruit that it had been the source of the problems I was getting. There are other fruit combining rules, but none nearly as serious as the melon one. But if it gives you no problems, it’s hard to say stop.

• JDJD

I never knew about this and have no problems eating watermelon with other fruits. I find it to be the most watery of all the fruits that I eat so it’s kinda strange that it would cause a problem.

• I think the sickest I’ve ever been (from food) was when I combined cantalope with a fruit salad just before a long drive—I don’t get car sick, but I couldn’t even sit up for the whole three hours… Melon + other foods has never been good news for me. Pineapple’s another lone-eater type, for me.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I eat so much water melon at one sitting, I never have room for anything else. Why waist watermelon season with things I can eat at other times. smile and a big drool.