Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

8/1/1

humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Does anyone have Dr Graham 8/1/1 book? If so could you please post some recipes of his? Thanks!

Comments

• Great idea humananimal! It would be cool to see what all the buzz is about!

• I don’t have the book, but here are some recipes by people who follow 811:

http://www.organicathlete.org/content/category/... http://www.organicathlete.org/content/category/...

(Not all recipes on the website are raw.)

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

thanks bro!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Is the 8/1/1 the same as 80/10/10 that has been discussed on other strings on this site?

• Yes. It’s basically high fruit with lots of greens.

• daisygirldaisygirl Raw Newbie

I got the book in the mail yesterday, and haven’t been able to put it down. Check out this link from one of the women who has followed his program for 4 years. Her photos are amazing. *www.ringlet.org

Vaughn – his recipes are very simple, probably like you eat now. Fruit salad and smoothies with only 1,2 or 3 ingredients (ie. strawberries, orange and kiwi fruit salad). Bananas sliced, then topped with date puree (dates in a blender with water)- yummy, eating it now. Or bananas blended with romaine in a smoothie. Salads are simple too- last night I had field greens, with oranges and a few nuts. I’ll post more if I come across any real yummy ones!

thank you! I really do appreciate it :)

• I am reading more about 811 and its very intresting, but surely its what most raw vegans follow most of the time anyways bar gourmet stuff??.. unsure if its not anything other than common sense, anyone enlighten me?

Have the book on order at the moment

• rawdancer_london,

One issue on raw is getting enough calories. Some people try to do that through eating too many fatty foods (avocado, nuts, seeds). The point of 811 is to limit the fats and get the calories from carbs / sweet fruit.

Also, some people believe that too much sweet fruit is bad. They eat a lot of veggies / non-sweet fruit, such as sweet potatoes, sprouts (including peas, lentils, etc.), corn, squash, etc. 811 says to focus on the sweet fruit—that it’s good, contrary to what some people think.

Finally, there is the issue of all sorts of “exotic” foods, such as cocoa, goji berries, etc. Some people on raw think they need all these exotic foods to stave off some deficiency. Exotic foods are being promoted by some gurus because they cost a lot, and so it is easier to make a profit by selling them over the net. 811 says to stay away from / ignore the exotic foods.

• Thanks for the response Alex

Pretty much what I thought. As you would normally eat, simplicity.

Agree on the concept. Just much debate over different areas I am finding- such as fats in the raw diet- some saying run for the hills, others embracing it.

Intresting

Cheers for that

Rawdancer- the point 8/1/1 brings up (which totally applied to me) was that many raw foodists eat 50-75% of their diet in fat (from seeds,nuts,avocados, olives) and that is extremely unhealthy. He says some raw foodists eat more fat in a day than those who eat SAD. This was something for me to really think about- I just wasn’t feeling my best eating raw and since adapting his principles, I’ve never felt better. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I am!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I still haven’t gotten the book yet, which I will get but daisygirl I think rawdancer gets the concept because it was already mentioned earlier in this post as well as others what the 80/10/10 is about. Some people thrive better on high oil, nut, contents. But usually the more complicated recipes include oil and nuts. I beleive he was trying to say simple is better, because how many people do you know eat just the nuts, by itself, it is usually some sort of veggie pattie, cheese or pie. Or who drinks the oil by itself, not many but some do. If you keep your diet simple you are more prone to grab the grapes, apple, or banana. Which I have noticed myself doing, even though I hate bananas.

I just meant (and maybe it wasn’t clear in my post) that when I looked at my diet, it was too high in fats and I wasn’t feeling all that great. Since lowering my fat intake, I’ve stopped obsessing about my every meal, stopped getting hungry between meals, and have more energy than before. It was great in helping me understand that just because I was eating raw, doesn’t mean I was eating healthy. A diet comprised of 65% fat (like mine was) isn’t healthy and probably explains why I wasn’t feeling well, and kept falling off the wagon.

Just my two cents… :)

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I’d just like to say that I believe that one reason that raw foodists, who cut back on fats, feel better is because they are actually eating less cooked food. Many nuts, seeds, olives, dried fruits and oils that are commonly consumed by ‘Raw foodists’ are NOT actually raw. When these people cut back on these items they are actually increasing their ‘Raw’ percentage.

Because of this phenomena, going 8/1/1 may be the first time some people are 100% Raw. From what I understand the research that went into 8/1/1 was collected by surveys of ‘Raw foodists’ whose Raw percentage was never questioned and who may have been living on cashews, cacao and dried fruits, like many raw fooders do.

I have never worried about the mix of foods I eat. It changes all the time. I know that every time I increased my Raw percentage, I felt a great increase in my wellness. When I finally eliminated all cooked items from my diet, which took some research, I started on a ‘Raw High’ that hasn’t yet to stop. All my cooked food cravings went away and being Raw became 2nd nature.

When I see people praising 8/1/1, I always think of one thing. Less fats = Less cooked. You only have to look at the recipes on this site to realize that a very high percentage of fats that are considered raw are actually cooked. It only makes sense that cutting back on these items would make anyone feel better because they are cutting back on cooked food.

good point :)

• Who really knows for sure but even people who eat pure 100% raw foods such as avocados and no nuts feel a great difference when they switch to the 811 diet. Fat is bad for the body in any state. I don’t know about others but when I eat even a ripe small avocado which I know to be 100% raw from the farmer I get a bad sensation and I can sense my digestive system struggling to digest it.

• Agreed with Chris. I get the idea behind it.

Just myself personally, I am happy eating mono meals. Weekends/special occasion I may put something together. But mostly I eat fruit/veg as they are/peel and consume.

Good points made by all, v intresting thread coming about :)

• I’m wondering if 8-1-1 is good for people who have the tendency towards insulin resistance such as myself, I cannot eat a whole banana (maybe 1/4 one in a smoothie, any more I feel ill, shaky, nausea, etc ), grapes are out and most other super sweet fruit is out. When I order I smoothie, I ask for 1/2 the dates or no dates at all. I do much better on mostly berries, coconuts, kiwis and and other not so sweet fruit and greens – at least thats what I found over the past week.

Is it just 8-1-1 is not good for everyone?

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Barose, I believe that every body is different and each person’s body has individual requirements. If you say that you don’t do well on a 8/1/1 type diet, than I wouldn’t try and push your body in to it. Once you have been raw for a while (6 months or so), you may find your body starting to change, but trust what your body is telling you. Stick to more greens and less sweet fruit until it tells you otherwise. Trust and patience is the key to a successful raw lifestyle, I believe.

• Actually barose people who are diabetic (type 1 and type 2) usually get cured or at least need to reduce their insulin with 811. If you post a question to Doug Graham about your situation on his forum (it is at vegsource.com/talk/raw ) he will most likely write an answer to you. He doesn’t practice medicine on the board because that is illegal but he will give you a general answer. 811 is great for diabetics and if what you have is anything like diabetes then it is not only not bad for you but actually good for you.

• Thanks for the advice spritedmama and SocaL!